When a buddy says he is bringing a bunch of old gun stuff from his grandfathers cabin
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: When a buddy says he is bringing a bunch of old gun stuff from his grandfathers cabin

Member #
    Liked
    1530 times

When a buddy says he is bringing a bunch of old gun stuff from his grandfathers cabin

I got a call from a friend of mine last week that they were cleaning out his grandfather's hunting cabin and he was bringing back a box of old gun stuff nobody wanted that I could have if I wanted. I knew there was a can of sperm oil that he asked if I wanted or not, but I wasn't expecting anything else really. Just some nice old things to remember his grandfather by. This is what I got.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Collects, SBH, krag96 and 4 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1530 times
    Contents were:

Half used can of sperm oil. Apparently he stocked up before it was illegal and this was only can left in the cabin. A lyman Alaskan scope with cover. 2 weaver 4k 60B scopes. A set of old scope rings, some weaver bases, and an old tin winchester sign.

I thought the sign was the one that was hanging in his living room in the cabin but my friend said no, that was an original one from the early 1900s, this was a reproduction that was out in his shop.

I tried to give my friend some money for it as this is some really nice stuff, but he said the family had agreed the old man would like me to have some things of his so I dropped the matter. I am guessing from condition and looking through them the scopes are good but won't know until I get them on a gun I guess.
    Red River, ei8ht, Chaffee and 3 others like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    21702 times
    What a great Buddy!

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    6169 times
    Looks like some nice old Weavers. Did you know they just went out of business? Nice Lyman too.

Member #
    Liked
    1530 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azshot View Post
    Looks like some nice old Weavers. Did you know they just went out of business? Nice Lyman too.
    Yeah similar to Winchester they are just a name that gets used. Owned by same group that owns Hoppes, Bushnell, Federal cci, speer, RCBS, etc.

https://vistaoutdoor.com/brands/

I have an old pre64 257 roberts with a G&H side mount with a Weaver in it, but not real familiar with em other than they were supposed to be good. I nearly fell over when I saw the Lyman Alaskan with the covers though.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    391 times
    Kingcobb,

I've been in this situation also, nice stuff but the family just wants you to have the memories. Classy people. If you want to do something nice for the family check the Grandfather's obituary and see if a Charity is listed, and perhaps make a donation in the Grandfather's memory.

KNO3
    Last edited by PotassiumNitrate; 08-08-2019 at 02:20 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9138 times
    They should have researched 'Lyman Alaskan'! Nice.
    tdennis likes this.
    'This is King Fisher's Road--Take the other one'

Member #
    Liked
    620 times
    Those Weaver scopes are the cats meow on a Marlin 336 16" Trapper 30-30, 10-10 silhouette 300M pigs using Levevolution powder and 170 gr, Flex Tip bullets 2100 fps.

Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    Dang. There's that sperm oil again....

Member #
    Liked
    6169 times
    Both scopes can sometimes be found with Litschert power boosters, which makes them even more fun for target or varmint work.

Southgate, krag96 and Kerz like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links