Did anyone make a full size SAA in 22lr?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Did anyone make a full size SAA in 22lr?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    628 times

Did anyone make a full size SAA in 22lr?

A few years ago, a friend much my senior had a colt SAA which had been sleeved very nicely to 22lr. It was way cool, probably could have bought it... I love 22s, always have. I reckon 22LR, 357 mag, 243 win would be my calibers if I had to pick in each category. I’ve always been a double action man, I got to thinking, did anyone make a regular size SAA of “quality” in 22lr? I have a 83 freedom arms in 22, it’s a hog leg or maybe a mules leg is a better term. I’m almost positive colt never chambered a Traditional SAA in 22 LR. Did USFA do it in a full size? Thanks
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit such crimes... such laws make things worse for the assualted and better for the assailants: they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man" Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    14732 times
    Yes they did. The USFA Plinker model is a full size 6 shot cylindered single action. The 12/22 model is also a full size with a cylinder holding 12 shots instead of six. Neither model is scaled down, so they are stout feeling guns with those tiny chamber holes in a full size cylinder.
    Last edited by what would you say; 08-11-2019 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Spelling
    🔫 WWYS

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    392 times
    Many years ago, I saw an engraved Colt SAA that was in 22 LR and was factory engraved at Colt. It was a first Generation. A local collector had picked it up that day at the Denver gun show. I would guess it was 1972 as I recall. Wilson's guide indicates that there were 107 22LR Colt SAA's made and that there were 93 flat top targets made in 22LR.
    The reason I carry a .45 is, Colt Don't make a .46

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    8901 times
    Many years ago I had a close friend, Ura "Duke" Duvall that was a gun collector and more than anyone else got me started collecting. Duke was a brother in law to Arnold Capone that owned King Gunworks. Duke had this colt saa that was a 45 converted to .22 LR. He said he bought it from a old gun writer Tommy Bish. He said Capone and Bish did the conversion. The muzzle is 45 but a half inch back it is sleeved to .22. The cylinder is .45 in front, sawed about 1/4" back and stationary. The rear of the cylinder revolves. In other words the gun "looks" like a 45 but is a 22! The gun was featured in Gun`s magazine around 1960? My friend Duke died about 25 years ago.
    22_Matt, big_gus, WVCOLT and 2 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    5752 times
    The old Great Western Co. made several thousand of full size SA's in .22 cal. they went out of business in 1962. Colt made 2 sets [4 guns] of full size .22's for Rodd Redwing that I know of,he used them in his trick shooting shows,I've shot them myself several times when I was doing shows w/him.

Member #
    Liked
    320 times
    Alonzo Crull made custom .22s on full size frames, but they are pricey when you find them
    saintclair likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    216 times
    Freedom Arms makes a 22 on the full size 454 frame. I have one in 22 with a 22 magnum extra cylinder. The huge cylinders look different with 5 tiny holes in them instead of 45 size hole. They too are quite pricey.DSC_0029.JPG

Member #
    Indianapolis, IN & beautiful Lake Cumberland, KY
    Liked
    2479 times
    I have a Thomas Haas custom conversion. It's an 1878 frame.

20170509162101-6401.jpg

Member #
    Liked
    534 times
    As stated, the Great Western is probably the closest and cost effective way to own a full size .22 SA. It's heavy and I've never seen a 4 3/4" barrel length. Most common is 5 1/2".
    I've owned a few and they are nice shooters. The plastic grips cheapen them up a bit though.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2008 times
    USFA 12/22. There is also a new Uberti version.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links