A Fancy Winchester M1890 With About Every Special Feature Possible
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: A Fancy Winchester M1890 With About Every Special Feature Possible

Member #
    Liked
    1571 times

A Fancy Winchester M1890 With About Every Special Feature Possible

This rifle #45401 was first seen on my grandfather’s farm & ranch 29 miles south of Waco, Texas in Falls County.

Standard Features:
    22 Short
    24” Full Octagon Barrel
    Take-down Frame

Special Features:
    Has Checkered Fancy Walnut Deluxe Pistol Grip (895 known),
    Style #8 Factory Engraved (by John Ulrich) w/Standing Deer Panels on both sides of frame (only 29 known engraved),
    Engraved Nickeled Swiss Buttplate (only 18 known),
    Beach Front Sight,
    Fixed Rear sight,
    Mid-Range Vernier Peep Sight (only 3003 w/Special sights).

A Winchester factory letter confirms all features and shipped on 11-11-1896.

The above-mentioned rarity counts are based on production figures using surviving Winchester records serial numbers 1 through 329,999. From Winchester Slide-Action Rifles: Volume I, by Ned Schwing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    15297 times
    What an amazing and rare little Winchester. Is the reciever nickel as well? The first thing I thought of (maybe not the first) is if that was his plinker, I'd like to see the other guns this guy had!
    mentallapse, victorio1sw and Kerz like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    4207 times
    Nice Winchester.
    One of my pride and joys was a Winchester Model 1897 Black Diamond Grade Pigeon Gun, two barreled set, that I bought to shoot trap with. Unfortunately I had to use it to trade down and generate some cash.
    PigeonGun2.JPGPigeonGun3.JPGPigeonGunbarrelset.JPG
    MrRush and victorio1sw like this.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    492 times
    Victorio, you say first seen at your grandfathers farm. Is it in your possession or is it waiting too be found?
    victorio1sw and sumthin_nu like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    6000 times
    Very nice. One of my favorites.
    ei8ht and victorio1sw like this.
    It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    689 times
    Wow, that’s Truely a museum piece there!!! I have no idea value but it’s “up there” for a 22. This would have Winchester collectors drooling. Heck I am and I’m not even into engraved guns or Winchester’s that much!!! I hope it’s still in your family cause if not, a piece like that doesn’t come up until someone starts pushing daisies.
    victorio1sw likes this.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit such crimes... such laws make things worse for the assualted and better for the assailants: they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man" Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    1571 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelRod1 View Post
    Victorio, you say first seen at your grandfathers farm. Is it in your possession or is it waiting too be found?
    The way I stated this gun's provenance, it left everyone wondering, no doubt! Yes, I first saw this rifle at my grandfather's ranch home near Perry, Texas in the mid-1950's. At the age of less than 10, my interest in antique guns was already well-established. We shot at rats in the barn with it, single-shooting with ratshot, as the bore was rough. I later found a stuck 22 LR in the carrier, and removed that, announcing that this could have caused an accident. The farm/ranch was sold in 1959, and the gun disappeared for a while. The gun later went to an uncle, who I then learned was the son of the original owner, and then to my cousin. It resided in Waco for many decades afterward. I later acquired this rifle from a 2nd cousin in Kansas, when it finally came available. That 2nd cousin told me that a KC, MO dealer offered $2000 for this gun! No doubt the dealer was looking for a significant profit. I offered more in line with value and bought this fancy Winchester about 15 years ago.
    Last edited by victorio1sw; 08-12-2019 at 07:08 AM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    536 times
    Rare and interesting rifle. Thanks for sharing. Vic
    mentallapse and victorio1sw like this.
    Preparedness + Opportunity = Luck
    NRA Benefactor Member
    KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    1571 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerz View Post
    Rare and interesting rifle. Thanks for sharing. Vic
    I have often thought that it was strange to equip a 22 short rifle with an expensive vernier tang sight. If it was a large caliber, like 40-82 or 45-90, then the long range sight would be understandable. But this was the original sight, verified by Winchester records, and the fact that an old ding was left in the buttstock's comb where that vernier screw landed when folded down.
    Kerz, mentallapse and Fortibus55 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1571 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bowles View Post
    What an amazing and rare little Winchester. Is the reciever nickel as well? The first thing I thought of (maybe not the first) is if that was his plinker, I'd like to see the other guns this guy had!
    Only the brass buttplate was plated. The receiver was likely color case-hardened.
    Rick Bowles and mentallapse like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links