Electronic Ears?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Electronic Ears?

Member #
    Liked
    605 times

Electronic Ears?

Couldn’t recall this being discussed before but I’m in the market for a nice set of electronic ear muffs/plugs/inserts. Open to suggestions and willing to spend some money for a superior product in terms of sound enhancement, noise cancelation, maybe Blue-Tooth/Coms capabilities?? Love to hear yall’s thoughts.

Member #
    Liked
    1981 times
    I have a pair of Dillon electronic muffs that I've used for several years. They aren't the most expensive around and technology has probably improved a lot since I bought them...but they do the job for me. They use AAA batteries and battery life is pretty good. I also like the fact that you can access the battery compartments from the outside using a coin and not have to remove the ear cups.
    "Cowards never lasted long enough to become real
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ." --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life Member: NRA, TSRA, NMSSA
    Action Pistol Director-TSRA

Member #
    Liked
    4294 times
    Don't buy the cheap ones, we did and they're junk.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    194 times
    What's wrong with just a good old fashioned pair of ear muffs?
    There's just too much "electronic" stuff, and half of it doesn't work anyway.

Today we've got people listening to music, talking on the phone, gabbing with fellow
    shooters and smoking all while firing guns on the range.

A guy next to me the other day had music playing in his "electronic" headphones
    while he was shooting.

Yes, I'm an old FUDD.
    Last edited by shooter214; 08-12-2019 at 07:29 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    605 times
    I’m pretty old school myself Shooter but I’m readily willing to embrace innovation in this category. Absolutely nothing “wrong” with regular ol’ muffs but I’ll list a few reasons I’m pursuing some high-end electronic options:
    1.) General range awareness. I’ve got two girls that will be of “shooting age” in the next 10 years and I like the idea of being able to adequately communicate with them, or anyone else in the vicinity while maintaining a heightened awareness of the “little things” taking place in the background.
    2.) Hunting. This one is fairly obvious but as of right now my options are repeatedly damaging my hearing with rifles, shotguns and handguns while afield or completely deadening my ability to hear what’s going on around me with ear protection. Not a good idea for more reasons than I care to type.
    3.) Shi? hits the fan scenarios. Maybe the least practical application but I’ve got quite a few rifles that would wreck my world were I to fire them repeatedly without hearing protection particularly from within an enclosed space. A suppressor is gonna run me around $800.00 w/ the tax stamp plus finger prints, passport photo, signed acknowledgment from local law, a stack of other application docs and a 6-12month wait. And for something like 5.56 still won’t render an AR platform technically hearing safe! Makes that $300.00 for good ears seem like a better option.
    Uplander and Dodge1942 like this.

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    8065 times
    One of the best brands in electronic and standard hearing muffs is Peltor. They were one of the first to offer electronic types.
    They offer just about all types including some that ave blue tooth, and offer several different sizes from larger cups to very compact.
    A popular model is compact and last I looked well under $100.
    Some have bands that go over the head, some behind the head so you can wear a hat. The over the head are probably the best option.

The better types actually reduce the sound momentarily. The cheap type cut the sound off.
    The reduction models allow blocking the noise of the shot but allow hearing the echo of it because they reset instantly.
    The cheap type are annoying because you have a short period of dead sounds then a noticeable "switch on".

Sellers like Amazon and Optics Planet sell most all brands.
    Dodge1942 likes this.

Member #
    Destined to wander I-35 from border to border. Started in Texas, currently in Iowa.
    Liked
    314 times
    I've been coaching Jr. High & High school athletes in the Scholastic Clay Target Program going on 14 years. A year into I realized I really wanted to make sure I could hear what the little guys and gals holding the shotguns were doing behind me when working with the one on station! I'd used the custom molded plugs when I shot competitively for years and they work great...too good for the coaching scenario. Went through 2 sets of cheaper electronic muffs in 3 years. I then researched the smaller electronic devices and bought the custom molded ESP digital plugs and they are still going strong 10 years now. I'm sure the technology is even better now. I use them for coaching, the little bit of clay shooting I do anymore, bird hunting and am very happy with them. When I shoot pistols I go back to the solid molded plugs. They work a bit better when the decibels go up and get closer.

Member #
    Liked
    15430 times
    Being able to hear while shooting is such huge safety/tactical advantage in so many ways I can't count them all.
    I only use them to deal with the noise of shooting and being able to hear while doing so. I use them at the range with others present so I am aware of what is going on around me. I also use them on a private range where there shouldn't be anyone around. But nice to be able to hear a car pull up or someone walking in the gravel behind me. Indoors they aren't that effective..as there is just too much noise to deal with. But them my Peltors are ancient technology these days. Frankly it is cheap insurance.

Peltor is the easy answer. But not cheap. The bigger the muff the better the sound mechnical reduction and the more space they have to add technology.
    Last edited by Cozmo; 08-12-2019 at 11:44 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I've had a pair of MSA Supreme Pro-X for a couple of years and like them. I still use a plug in right ear when shooting a rifle or shotgun.

Member #
    Liked
    605 times
    Appreciate all the insightful responses. Right now I’m looking hard at the Peltor Tac500’s and the MSA Sordin’s. Seems there’s about a $120.00 price difference between the two with the Peltor’s winning out on the value end. Anyone opting for an in-ear option as opposed to a muff?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links