Unusual Colt seen in a western......
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Unusual Colt seen in a western......

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1694 times
    I think we had a thread on this a while ago (or it was in another forum).

Phil Spangenberger did a nice article on movie gun fakery for True West magazine earlier this year:

https://truewestmagazine.com/hollywoods-six-gun-fakery/
    Kurusu and SHOOTER13 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2708 times
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Mix

Tom Mix like most of the early cowboy movie stars- was a interesting cat!

Last edited by Ugly; 08-13-2019 at 10:24 PM.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1823 times
    My 1878/1902 DA, Philippine Model, has "W.C.Co." stamped on the frame. (Western Costume Company, Hollywood; a movie prop rental house). Many of these were purchased as surplus by Hollywood when the military was through with them.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2539 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hwjhfs View Post
    My 1878/1902 DA, Philippine Model, has "W.C.Co." stamped on the frame. (Western Costume Company, Hollywood; a movie prop rental house). Many of these were purchased as surplus by Hollywood when the military was through with them.
    Mine is marked “Western “, for the same company,over the U. S. property marking.
    hwjhfs likes this.
    WANTED: Police & Company issued revolvers!!!!

Member #
    Liked
    1823 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cda926 View Post
    Mine is marked “Western “, for the same company,over the U. S. property marking.
    Interesting with that stamp. Without getting it out and checking I think my WCCo is stamped opposite side of the U.S. I also have an 1895 Military billed Kepi type hat that is marked inside "WCC". (You can view the hat if you click on the following link and then scroll down to the 6th item. https://www.ourboysof98.com/Head-Gear.html) It too has probably been in some movies about Indians and the U.S. Army.
    Last edited by hwjhfs; 08-14-2019 at 01:54 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    12173 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hwjhfs View Post
    In the history of that costume company that started in 1912 it says the owners were associated with William S. Hart. See here:http://westerncostume.com/about-
    us/history

"Hell's Hinges" with Hart came out in 1916. Hart carried a pair of those 1902 D.A.s and shot them a lot in the film. Here's the entire movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXryvxzeo5s

Here's William S. Hart holding those guns in a scene from the film. Maybe you guys own those guns. That is not a shot in the dark. Those guns are seen rarely in films if at all besides this one so it's highly probable.

Ugly, Absalom, cda926 and 2 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1823 times
    Would be great to know those serial numbers Tom is using!!!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1694 times
    Pretty much all these US and other original martial arms came to Hollywood by way of Francis Bannerman’s business in New York, the granddaddy of all surplus dealers. Starting right after the Civil War, Bannerman bought up everything the US military (and others) wanted to sell, from sabers to handguns to longarms to artillery. And he could offer the studios everything: uniforms, accoutrements, you name it, at volume discounts.

You should get your hands on one of Bannerman’s catalogs or a reprint some time; makes you drool.

The earlier a movie, the more likely the weaponry is to be authentic. I still mourn the original Springfield 1873 trapdoor carbine with MGM property stamp I decided not to buy many years ago.
    TheTache likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    153 times
    Bannerman's could probably outfit the entire military in some smaller Banana Republics!

Member #
    Liked
    2539 times
    I realize it is a long shot (pardon the pun!). But, I emailed the Western Costume Company to see if they have any records of what films featured these guns or who rented them..... It can't hurt to ask. They seem to promote their history & longevity in the movie industry.

If they by some miracle have an old ledger, I'll pass the info on to the OP also.

Best,
    Charles
    WANTED: Police & Company issued revolvers!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links