Savage Fever
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree163Likes

Thread: Savage Fever

Member #
    Liked
    1928 times

Savage Fever

A $300 pawn shop pick up on a Savage model 1917 in .32 sparked my interest in Savage pistols about 4 years ago. I had no idea what I was looking at when I bought it got home did some research started focusing on Savages, and it led to this......

Sent from my Samsung Note9 using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    12144 times
    Wow, that was fast! Have you seen "The Road To Perdition" where the hitman uses one of those? I bet they shoot really well with the barrel so low in the hand and the line of sight. My dad had a Remington 51 as a kid. They don't look like these but remind me of them because of the era and the quality of them.

Member #
    Liked
    1928 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt Burp View Post
    Wow, that was fast! Have you seen "The Road To Perdition" where the hitman uses one of those? I bet they shoot really well with the barrel so low in the hand and the line of sight. My dad had a Remington 51 as a kid. They don't look like these but remind me of them because of the era and the quality of them.
    I've seen the movie, it's a classic! they really are well-designed pistols and would be very expensive today to manufacture, of course the manufacturing process would all be computerized today :-)

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    9952 times
    Well, that's a start...

I've got a boxed Model 1917 with a flat grey finish stuck away- like the early WWII Parkerizing in color - but Savage tried several finishes during production, so I figure it was one of those.

Now you need the watch fobs - both gold and silver metal - the silver being the giveaway to customers, and the gold for favored dealers - and the silver ones have been faked, just like the 'Indian'.

Good Hunting...

Member #
    Liked
    1928 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dogface6 View Post
    Well, that's a start...

I've got a boxed Model 1917 with a flat grey finish stuck away- like the early WWII Parkerizing in color - but Savage tried several finishes during production, so I figure it was one of those.

Now you need the watch fobs - both gold and silver metal - the silver being the giveaway to customers, and the gold for favored dealers - and the silver ones have been faked, just like the 'Indian'.

Good Hunting...
    I've got high condition 1907 from 1911 with the serialized original box with manuals, finding cardboard that's over a hundred years old in good shape is pretty rare thing today.

the original Savage memorabilia is very hard to come by today as well, would love an original watch fob.

mentallapse, oberon and ei8ht like this.

Member #
    Liked
    4102 times
    I had one years ago, the person I got it from didn't take real good care of it and it was rusted. I had it re-blued, which is something Id not consider these days.
    They are a neat pocket pistol and I'd like to get another one, but keep buying other guns.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"

Member #
    Liked
    6229 times
    Something about seeing a collection of the same type of gun with it's variations just attracts attention. This is true, focused collecting, where you have become an expert! Good job!

The Savage autos have always been sleepers, for some strange reason. Since I was a teen, they were typically 1/3 the cost of other early automatics, at least the ones I wanted. But I always liked their look, and kept saying I'd get one one day. Finally got a couple the last few years, and carry one a lot. I guess their main problem was small calibers.
    Last edited by azshot; 08-15-2019 at 08:06 AM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5681 times
    I caught Savage fever several years ago too. It started with a French contract and a Portuguese contract 1907's. I was walking through a show in Conway, Ar. and found the pair on a table. Each came with correct holsters. As I was walking away the dealer told me I could have Bailey Brower's book. Below is a very nice 1917 .32 I found a few weeks ago. As you can see it came in the original box.

The one below is a rare 1915 .32. Only around 6500 were made. The differences in the 1915 as compared to the models 1907 and 1917 are the hidden hammer, grip safety, and a slide lock-back after the last shot .
    Last edited by mentallapse; 08-15-2019 at 08:34 AM.
    It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1124 times
    I only own one. A 1917, 380 acp that would be considered in, "Very good condition". It is a pistol that fascinates me. I have noticed that at recent gun shows their prices are really going up. Maybe we have talked too much about them around here lately.

Member #
    Liked
    1928 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azshot View Post
    Something about seeing a collection of the same type of gun with it's variations just attracts attention. This is true, focused collecting, where you have become an expert! Good job!

The Savage autos have always been sleepers, for some strange reason. Since I was a teen, they were typically 1/3 the cost of other early automatics, at least the ones I wanted. But I always liked their look, and kept saying I'd get one one day. Finally got a couple the last few years, and carry one a lot. I guess their main problem was small calibers.
    Thank you for the kind words!

ei8ht likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links