Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Never again!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9227 times
    I would think that the 'machine parts' line would be wore out by now. I remember seeing that in some movie from the 60's or so......I've only been asked once at the PO what was in the package and that was because I was sending a bullet mold over seas and had to declare it on the customs tag or whatever. I didn't lie, I told the clerk it was a metal mold.
    'This is King Fisher's Road--Take the other one'

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    15181 times
    Never had the post office ask why, but really what bothers me is asking for a $2700 (or whatever the amount) dollar money order while surrounded by people in line behind me in a little country post office. The PO worker is gonna repeat the amount and that gets people’s attention when they hear it. I would just rather keep my personal business personal. Then about getting writers cramp from filling out the three money orders it takes to reach that amount.
    All that said, I’ve never had a problem with the USPS MO itself. Once or twice I’ve had the money order letter get lost for a while .. even with the tracking and take it’s sweet time .. but eventually delivered.
    My non firearm purchases are easy. The guys that know me take a personal check and others accept PayPal (love em or hate em.. it’s easy and instant paid up).
    Last edited by what would you say; 08-17-2019 at 08:19 AM.
    🔫 WWYS

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1458 times
    Quote Originally Posted by what would you say View Post
    My non firearm purchases are easy. The guys that know me take a personal check and others accept PayPal (love em or hate em.. it’s easy and instant paid up).
    This has worked well for me,especially in this present community!
    what would you say and Cozmo like this.
    Life Member NRA-1974
    Psalm 23 “The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing—-“
    I had a commission USNR from 71-77 but do not consider myself a Vet
    My Dad and his four brothers USMC,WW2,Korea,Vietnam were Vets
    Email.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4119 times
    I must admit that the local PO is in a smaller community in ruralville, FL redneck country. Even the larger one in Palatka is still in redneck country, they don't ask much.
    We did try to send a used Star Model F slide to Spain and was questioned about it. Okay I know that in some instances sending gun parts overseas is questionable, anyway we stoped at a book store that has a PO desk in the back, a sattelite office and no problems.
    The 3% surcharge can get pricey, but in the long run its more convenient then going to the PO, get the MO, etc. Even with the dealer that we've been using because of their 90 day layaway, will take a check, I'd rather the money be taken out and not have to worry when the check will clear, which should be almost instantly, but not always.

As posted you can send a mailer envelope or small box for about $3.00, maybe a little more, and get tracking.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4461 times
    Seller who takes CC without a fee gets my business. I HATE going to the PO. I'll admit I usually buy locally and have no problem spending my money here at the Arizona shows, usually one or more shows every week.
    Last edited by LEO918; 08-17-2019 at 07:11 PM.
    Cozmo likes this.
    Living a dream.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    152 times
    Back when banks actually knew people, lots of odd transactions took place - like buy a new car and write out a rubber check and then go to the bank and make loan arrangements.

About 10 years ago we used a large fork loader for our business. It busted and was going to be weeks getting it repaired. We were dead in the water without it. We briefly thought of renting a loader but moved on to plan B - just buy a second loader. We talked to our bank officer who is well known to us, and explained what we planned to do and that was to move money from a savings account to our business account should we find a loader to buy. I found a loader about 10 hours away. Off we went. Deal was made. I told the saleman we were writing a check on an account without enough funds to cover it. But to take it directly to his bank and have them call this number to confirm they will honor the check. I didn't want to wait a week on a check to clear before they delivered the machine. He just smiled and said that won't be necessary. We contacted him the next morning to confirm details of delivery and he commented that the bank had approved the check. So he did check. And that was fine. It worked.

Member #
    Liked
    446 times
    Have bought several USPS Money orders and never have been asked what it was for.

I use Wells Fargo online checking and they send certified checks to payees, no waiting and also no postage charge.
    tdennis
    Last edited by tdennis; 08-17-2019 at 05:46 PM.
    Romulus likes this.

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    The guys this is a state/City or maybe tax kind thing. because i have never had issues at the PO and they have never asked me unnecessary questions.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    940 times
    Back before I had credit cards, I did use USPS money orders. I was asked once what it was for, I simply said "sporting goods". But it was annoying, because it's none of anyone else's business. I hate going to the Post office as well - it has many similarities to going to the DMV.

A 3% fee on Credit cards doesn't bother me. Credit cards aren't free; retailers have to pay a fee for the service. With profit margins being very thin nowadays, more retailers are trying to recoup the CC fees. I look it as the price of doing business, as using a credit card is far more convenient than going out and getting a money order or a cashier's check.
    mentallapse and Ginge like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    436 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kenhwind View Post
    I have never had a USPS clerk ask me what the MO was for, sounds like baloney to me.
    I totally agree. At the Bank getting a cashiers check, the teller always just talks and sometimes asks. That doesn't mean you have to answer. It's usually because they are trying to be friendly and making small talk. But at the post office...never. Although I have known some of my postal clerks for so many years that occasionally they ask me how I'm doing etc just to be friendly. But they have never ever asked me what I was using the money for.
    The reason I carry a .45 is, Colt Don't make a .46

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links