Never again!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Never again!

Member #
    Liked
    14495 times

Never again!

Like most of us here I suspect, I buy a few guns on occasion. These days it is generally via the Internet auction sites. I hate paying 3% on top of the price as a CC fee but it sure beats the alternative of a freakin USPS money order.

When I sell a gun I only ask for a personal check....you want to send something else, I can deal with that as well. But a personal check is fine.

Takes my bank (two local credit unions) two or three days to clear a check max. Usually just two. There is no "float" these days in the commercial banking system even for the small little credit unions.

Getting to the local Post Office is a huge PIA. Drive there....the closest two are still miles away, stand in typically long lines, be freaking quizzed as to "what am I using the money orders for" (none of your damn business lady....it aint DRUG money ya idiot...it's for GUNS!), paying priority mail postage and the price of the (generally) several money orders ($1000 max per MO) and filling the things out by hand in detail. Might just as well send cash because in fact you are.....gone forever if the seller really wants to screw you.

I will never again buy a gun from anyone that requires a US Postal Money order. End Rant

Blessed are the guys not screwing us, that take a personal check or just don't charge additional credit card fees.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1227 times
    My bank issues me money orders or cashier's checks for free.

I too despise paying for USPS money orders and have passed on buying stuff if it was the seller's only option.

I am very much willing to send a check and allow it to clear before seller ships.

Member #
    Liked
    2239 times
    If someone asks me what I’m using my money for I just tell them “personal business”. I once withdrew 50K in 100’s and gave that answer, the bank reps just asked me to be careful walking to my car.
    Cozmo, krag96, sumthin_nu and 2 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    14495 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smutt
    If someone asks me what I’m using my money for I just tell them “personal business”. I once withdrew 50K in 100’s and gave that answer, the bank reps just asked me to be careful walking to my car.
    I don't think it is any ones' business, $5 or 500K. But it is now a requirement of the Postal Clerk to ask if you are buying a USPS money order. Like what, you say?!!
    krag96 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1304 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator89 View Post
    My bank issues me money orders or cashier's checks for free.

I too despise paying for USPS money orders and have passed on buying stuff if it was the seller's only option.

I am very much willing to send a check and allow it to clear before seller ships.
    My bank normally charges $8 for a Cashier's Check. But if you have substantial accounts, a bank has no right to charge these fees. The first time that a bank clerk said "there is a $8 fee" for a Cashier's Check, I asked how they "would like for me to jerk my accounts out of this damned bank"? That fee topic has never come up again.

Banks have become very mercenary......
    Cozmo, krag96, cloverleaf and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1304 times
    One cannot win in an argument with a postal clerk. Nothing will be won until the Regional Postal Manager is contacted.

This may be some good advice in dealing with a postal clerk's questions. Long ago someone advised me that if a postal clerk asked "What's in this package"?, just tell them "Machined Steel Parts". So far that reply has evaded a postal standoff.

Member #
    Liked
    324 times
    Any MO besides a USPS MO is easy to fake and most banks or credit unions hold a MO longer than they do a personal check. I (stupidly) lost a rather large $$ MO last year and the seller's CU required 90 days before they would issue a new one. I've had my CU refuse to accept Western Union MO's. In the past I've had a bank accept and credit my account for a check from a business for a rather large amount (>$10K) only to come back 30 days later and say the check was no good, and then debit my account.

Why more people don't use PayPal "friends and family" is beyond me. And I've heard all the reason's why people won't do business with PayPal and IMHO they'll all stupid. So for me it's either a USPS MO (which you can verify online) or PayPal F&F.

Member #
    Liked
    133 times
    Last time I went to my CU with a large check, over $60K, they had it cleared before they gave me cash from the check. Instantaneous. I drove away with the cash. If they're telling you 2 days, they are playing CYA games. And the check was written from a personal account, from a small bank in Nebraska. As for the USPS, I have a small town office 3 miles away. If I get there before 3 PM, there is usually not a line.

Member #
    Liked
    324 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Heywood View Post
    Last time I went to my CU with a large check, over $60K, they had it cleared before they gave me cash from the check. Instantaneous. I drove away with the cash. If they're telling you 2 days, they are playing CYA games. And the check was written from a personal account, from a small bank in Nebraska. As for the USPS, I have a small town office 3 miles away. If I get there before 3 PM, there is usually not a line.
    I lived in a small town in Nebraska, I sold out much of a business to another business and cashed the check. Left town for a few weeks and when I came back the cashier (a young girl) was frantic. The check bounced and the bank was going to take it out of her check (more than she probably made in a year). I covered the amount and called the Sheriff in the business's location. That amount of money is grand larceny. The point being banks/clerks make mistakes but the bank never, ever loses money. It ends up back on you.

Member #
    Liked
    4101 times
    I have never had a USPS clerk ask me what the MO was for, sounds like baloney to me.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links