A California Rescue!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: A California Rescue!

Member #
    Liked
    2511 times

A California Rescue!

I just got this S&W Model 13 .357 from a California dealer’s online auction.

It was made in the 1980’s.

He informed me that it was not CA legal. So, he couldn’t sell it locally.

My question is if he can’t sell it there, how can he buy it there?

Anyway, it is my good fortune! I have a place for it in the carry/home defense rotation.

Best,
    Charles
    WANTED: Police & Company issued revolvers!!!!

Member #
    Liked
    5283 times
    It would be legal in California for FFL mediated Private Party transfer, or, legal for an FFL to buy from a private party to then sell out of State or keep for himself.

FFL can also mediate a Private Party Transfer with the Gun as a consignment item.

Just not Legal for an FFL to sell it in California.

Far as I understand, anyway...

So, it's a little wacky...
    Last edited by Oyeboten; 08-17-2019 at 09:25 AM.
    Ugly, ei8ht and oberon like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    464 times
    As posted above, it really just depends on how the FFL acquired it & whether it could legally be sold in CA based on that acquisition.
    Watch & Pray

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    9755 times
    Nice Score...!!

My Factory Nickeled Model 13-3...3" Bull Barrel

ei8ht, krag96 and LEO918 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NRA Life Member since 1977...

Member #
    Liked
    12154 times
    Unless something changed recently, that gun could freely be sold to someone else in this state but face to face, not shipped. Even from one CA. city to another, as I understand it. I have a 3" 13-3 and they are extremely desirable everywhere, but especially in CA. where they cannot be shipped in. But they can be shipped out. That guy would have done a lot better selling it locally since prices are at a premium here. But he chose to sell it out of state where prices are lower since people CAN get them from out of state, unlike us. This is why I almost always sell guns NOT allowed to enter CA. only to another Californian. But if no bites I would then export it.
    Monsai52 and ei8ht like this.

Member #
    Liked
    4195 times
    In Cali all modern handguns have to be listed approved on the Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale California by DOJ or they cannot be sold in the State by an FFL 01.

DOJ quote - "As of January 1, 2001, no handgun may be manufactured within California, imported into California for sale, lent, given, kept for sale, or offered/exposed for sale unless that handgun model has passed firing, safety, and drop tests and is certified for sale in California by the Department of Justice. Private party transfers, curio/relic handguns, certain single-action revolvers, and pawn/consignment returns are exempt from this requirement."

Most revolvers can be converted to single shot and sold legally within California by an FFL 01 - this is an exception to the rule. To answer the question, an FFL 01 can purchase a non-rostered gun in California; however the licensed dealer cannot sell a non-rostered gun to a Cali resident.

An FFL 01 can purchase modern handguns gun in California
    ei8ht likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1441 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt Burp View Post
    This is why I almost always sell guns NOT allowed to enter CA. only to another Californian. But if no bites I would then export it.
    This is exactly right,even though SAA can be brought from outside,a lot of guys don’t knowthis. When I found my dual cylinder 45 with 4-3/4”, I had to sell my late 3rd Gen 4-3/4” because I simply can’t keep them all. I only had it a couple months and sold for a few hundred more then what I paid. If I had sold here,I may not have even got my money back. I would never sell a Python on here because I KNOW I’d get more here in CA.
    Last edited by sturmgewehr; 08-17-2019 at 03:39 PM.
    Wyatt Burp likes this.
    Life Member NRA-1974
    Psalm 23 “The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing—-“
    I had a commission USNR from 71-77 but do not consider myself a Vet
    My Dad and his four brothers USMC,WW2,Korea,Vietnam were Vets
    Email.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    8697 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Oyeboten View Post
    So, it's a little wacky...
    Just a little whacky or a lot?.........
    This is what happens when the uninformed declare themselves more knowlegable and on top of things than the folks who handle, work, and deal with these things every Bleep-bleep day.
    No doubt that revolver was OK to be bought & sold in Kalifornistan somewhere in the past. Like all of 'em were when level heads prevailed, and intelligence was not a premium commodity.
    I wonder how many politicians could pass the drop test?
    (of course, how would you know ...... how could you ever know.......they would naturally be continuously malfunctioning all the time before the test anyway......)

Member #
    Liked
    2511 times
    The price was much better than if I’d found it elsewhere. I got it for $305 + shipping.
    Kerz, LEO918, oberon and 1 others like this.
    WANTED: Police & Company issued revolvers!!!!

Member #
    Liked
    5283 times
    Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Just a little whacky or a lot?.........
    This is what happens when the uninformed declare themselves more knowlegable and on top of things than the folks who handle, work, and deal with these things every Bleep-bleep day.
    No doubt that revolver was OK to be bought & sold in Kalifornistan somewhere in the past. Like all of 'em were when level heads prevailed, and intelligence was not a premium commodity.
    I wonder how many politicians could pass the drop test?
    (of course, how would you know ...... how could you ever know.......they would naturally be continuously malfunctioning all the time before the test anyway......)
    And unlike Firearms, "politicians" can and do 'go off' all by themselves!

Dangerous!

That whole "Roster" gambit is of course just a way of playing cute, since pretty well nothing meets the requirements of the 'roster'.

C & R Hand Guns, one can win on Gunbroker et all, and have shipped to one's local friendly dealer FFL for the Transfer, so when I was in California, since the only guns I was into were early 1900s Colts and S & Ws and so on anyway, this was no problem for me.

Anything newer then "fifty years" had to meet the requirements of the 'roster'.
    ei8ht likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links