What is a year of life worth?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree203Likes

Thread: What is a year of life worth?

Member #
    Liked
    5773 times
    The older u get the less things are worth standing in line for.

Member #
    Liked
    453 times
    It is all a matter of individual mentality. I know guys who won't wait a year for a custom revolver. Others like myself place the order, send the deposit then get on with life while the process unfolds. I have had projects help up due to health issues in a one man shop, timing of subcontractors like barrel rebore guys and even gunsmith burnout. I have one gun that is going on 8 years at the builders shop. Do I like it? Not necessarily but the fact that he even took on the project make it worth the wait for me. YMMV is all I can say.

Member #
    Liked
    14520 times
    First time I could afford something that had a wait list was a Randall, in the early '70s. It was a must have at the time...may be a 3 month wait.

It was a couple of decades later before I could afford to get on another wait list. Custom hat that time.

These days it is typically common. 'Custom" implies wait. I don't like it but I like chit built to my own specs more than I hate the wait. And so few ever make their delivery dates I simply don't care anymore. But I am also harder to squeeze a deposit out of because of it.

Wait don't mean nothing to the next guy when you go to sell it. As they say, "suck it up cup cake"

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2687 times
    If I won the lotto- I would build a house, have a house built, and have built to my specs. I could wait a year.

Almost anything else my patients is thin.. I gives you the silver, I want the product.

I can't see waiting 5 years for damn near anything.

Except retirement.. lol
    SFC Rick, Hootch56 and SHOOTER13 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    A year of my life is worth quite a lot to me. Twenty years or so ago, I waited a few months for a couple guns I'd ordered. Now days I'm getting too old to do it, and don't think I'd wait a year for much of anything. I don't buy saplings either

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    522 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SFC Rick View Post
    Here is the question to ponder on, what is a reasonable value to place a year long wait on a piece? We all somewhat agree most values are based on material, labor, and associated tangible costs. However toss in a wait of 1 year before getting an object. There is a additional premium added to the overall value when you consider the time involved. Do you value your time waiting, or even consider if you will be alive in a years time? Does buying an object incur additional value because someone else paid that time out so you could buy that object with no time invested?

What say you guys?
    Some new aircraft are sold as “positions” (future delivery dates). Large deposits are placed to guarantee a place in the delivery schedule. It is not uncommon for these positions to be sold at huge profits as the delivery date gets closer. Certain completion stages of the plane mark where various changes can occur economically. Smart buyers opt for every option up front to prevent lost buyout interest as time passes. The final option is usually paint and interior. This is where buyouts usually occur. Fortunes have been made buying and selling aircraft futures. Some-time is money.
    SFC Rick and SHOOTER13 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    441 times
    Realizing that instant gratification isn't always possible is just part of being an adult . Whether it's a new toy being built , or your child in your wife's womb , sometimes you just have to wait for it. .

Member #
    Liked
    14960 times
    This is easy, you should have ordered it a year ago... it would be here now!
    Cozmo, the wait for a Randall knife is almost six years now!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    650 times
    All replies are excellent posts on opinions and your reasoning behind them. I purchased a fine looking full engraved revolver for $2500 on Uberti's shop and over a year later it came in. I would never sell it but thought if I had too, $2500 wouldn't be enough due to the total money spent PLUS the time it took to wait for it. I know there is a limited market for it but surely it should be valued for a little more. I occasionally browse various gun sites and have never seen another one for sale. Hence I was curious about your opinions on the matter.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SFC Rick; 08-20-2019 at 04:54 AM.
    Hootch56 and SHOOTER13 like this.
    Uberti Open Top 1872 model in .45Colt with 7 1/2" barrel, Colt M1945A1, Winchester 1873 & 94.

Member #
    Liked
    1590 times
    Its variable. For most there is probably a "convenience premium" we would pay to skip the wait to the front of the line. How much you are willing to pay depends on you.

I have a custom build 1911 and waited almost a year for it. On 1911addicts I could have bought what I wanted and had it in 3 days for a $1000 premium. I waited.
    SFC Rick and SHOOTER13 like this.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links