Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree203Likes

Thread: What is a year of life worth?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9227 times
    I would probably lose all interest in whatever I ordered if it took a year or more to get and would have moved on to other things. Then I would feel as if deposit money had been wasted.
    SFC Rick, SHOOTER13 and rock185 like this.
    'This is King Fisher's Road--Take the other one'

Member #
    Liked
    550 times
    I build '40's & '50's trucks. Usually two to three per year.
    They usually sell before completion and I enjoy doing it.
    I'm always asked how long would the wait be to build a truck for someone and my advice is the same.
    Go find the right truck and buy it done.
    It never fails to amaze me how impatient or fickle a waiting customer can be during the process.
    In this day and age everyone wants it right now. Instant gratification.
    I get it. Life is too short to wait on anything.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    2071 times
    Two old friends in the NFA crowd set the record here for waiting. One fellow had a guy with a premium reputation contract to build a full auto M16 in 45acp that used Thompson magazines. Had to use an existing NFA receiver and make it convertible. 5+ years of waiting yet now that he has it I rarely see him shoot it, the wait kinda killed the want.
    SHOOTER13, SFC Rick and Cozmo like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    9003 times
    I would have to be a rich man to consider it and being 78 years old, hell no! How is it I had custom work done on a number of guns in the 1970`s and I doubt I waited more than six weeks!
    Last edited by feralmerril; 08-20-2019 at 08:05 AM.
    SHOOTER13, SFC Rick and Ugly like this.

Member #
    Liked
    9978 times
    I spent my life in the Army - I stood in enough lines to suit me, and I don't do it anymore - especially for something like an SAA that's been mass-produced for decades - the 'Custom Shop' label means little, when they don't always get it right.

If I'm willing to pull out my wallet - I want it to go home with me when the wallet's been folded.

Member #
    Liked
    1604 times
    Quote Originally Posted by feralmerril View Post
    I would have to be a rich man to consider it and being 78 years old, hell no! How is it I had custom work done on a number of guns in the 1970`s and I doubt I waited more than six weeks!
    It depends on your definition of custom work and who you want doing it. If you mean having someone build you a from scratch build on a gun such as a 1911, a bolt or lever rifle, or even a revolver it takes time to do the work. Plus, if you are picky about the smith who is doing it, then you may have a wait on that as well if he has a backlog already.

Like I said, the 1911 took me about a year to get, but it was built by the smith I wanted that I was familiar with from his time in the Colt Custom shop and I liked his builds. I could have gotten one from another smith or an outfit such as alchemy or even Wilson combat(on one of their floor models) but that wasn't what I was shopping for.

I currently am waiting on a custom winchester 1886 to show up at my door that will be about a 5 month wait when it arrives. I have a parker shotgun that I am having the Bernard Steel barrels redone on and it is at 12 months and counting. Work takes time, quality work takes longer. If you aren't picky about who does it you can get it faster. Heck, the one piece of engraving I have ever had done to an SAA took 6 weeks, ivory grips for my Pyton took 3 months, ivory SAAs took about the same, woodsman took 2 months, 1911 takes about 2 weeks.

Now, if your idea of custom work is a trigger job and sight adjustment....about a month ..... maybe.
    SHOOTER13 and SFC Rick like this.

Member #
    Liked
    6246 times
    As people are answering, I agree. It's all relative. If you wanted a custom gun that is not available retail, you order and wait. I did it with a Shiloh Sharps back in the 1990s, during the Quigley Down Under rush. I would not do it with a gun I can commonly buy off the shelf. A Rigby rifle, you will wait.

If I wanted custom features on a common gun like engraving or such, that aren't available off the shelf, again, I'd order and wait.

I try not to pay a premium on the value of a gun based on how long an original buyer had to wait though. Some people did that with Shilohs for years. You could get one "off the shelf" from a dealer, that ordered 2-3 rifles every month, year after year. When they came in, he'd sell them for 25% higher than the MSRP. But more and more people started trying that, and eventually the market was saturated. Prices equalized, as fewer needed a Shiloh.

Same with Colt 3rd generation. There is NO way I'd order one and wait. I'll ideally find someone that decides to sell theirs.
    Last edited by azshot; 08-20-2019 at 08:47 AM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1391 times
    I always look at the "opportunity cost". Missed opportunities that I may have been able to purchase and perhaps sell at a profit except for the fact that I had my money tied up in something I didn't have yet.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22131 times
    Estimate your possible lifetime; subtract your age from that; and see what fraction one year makes relative to the remainder.

Member #
    Liked
    9003 times
    I had target sights and a extra cylinder and yoke put on 1917 smith to make it a convertable 45 acp & 45 colt along with the hammer beefed up to look like their target hammer. I had a HD smith in 38/44 converted to .44 special (with a extra barrel I had found.) I had a 357 ruger converted to .44 special. I had a model 1890 Winchester in .22 WRF reamed out to .22 mag. Have a 22 colt trooper I also had the hammer widened to look like its 357 brother with the wide hammer. Probably had a few more with minor work done that I forgot about. In all cases I just dropped them off and came back a few weeks later and picked them up. From what I read now days with all the custom "Guru`s" your lucky if they will give you the time of the day. I did have a couple of gunsmith friends.
    I have sent both a smith for refinishing, a colt for a new cylinder to the company's and I believe both were done in a month or so.
    The colt is a SAA that I thought the cylinder was too over bored and they sent it back to me with a new cylinder WITH the removable bushing and numbered to the gun and didn't charge me a dime! That was roughly twelve years ago. The gun is a 3rd gen and I bought it slightly used but still looks new. The 1917 smith was back in the early 1970`s and the reblue was like $16`s!!
    Sounds like these Guru`s get away with the huge prices and stupid waits because today's generation doesn't know better (how it used to be) and has more money. I have a few older custom guns that I bought AFTER they were customised, and I think the work is every bit as good as the famous Guru`s do today. I like fine restored and customised guns, cars, motorcycles and airplanes as much as anyone else but I am not going to pay and then wait forever for them because first, I am relatively poor and 2nd, because I am going on 79 years old. As far as Randall knives go, I have one I bought for half price on a heck of a sale in the 1970`s or 80`s and at the time I picked it out of another twenty or so models that were on sale in the display! Now you have to wait six years???????
    Last edited by feralmerril; 08-20-2019 at 11:15 AM.
    SHOOTER13, SFC Rick and rock185 like this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links