Pre War Winchester Model 70
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Pre War Winchester Model 70

Member #
    Liked
    2140 times
    Can't advise on the sight that came on your nifty new rifle acquisition. A '37 vintage .220 Swift Serial No. 4874 lives here, acquired from the original owner who scoped it early on, first with a Weaver 330C then with a Lyman All-American 6X which it's worn for decades. A filler blank is a rear sight place holder. No signs of wear are indicated where a sight used to come in contact with barrel surfaces. I can't recall the barrel's year marking.

I think the plain ol' standard rear sight was the Winchester 22G, same as on the pre-war Winchester Model 94, but some Winchester guru should come along soon and provide something definitive.

The Swifts I have here, the pre-war Model 70 and a '72 vintage Ruger Model 77V.

The Winchester Model 70 tribe. Love pre-64's best of all sporting rifles and would have a jillion of 'em to love, shoot, and care for, just as one collecting tangent. All it takes is money.

The '37 .220 Swift, a '47 .257 Roberts, a '53 .30-06 (old favorite big game rifle), and a 1980s-1990s(?) Super Express in .375 H&H Magnum.

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 29aholic View Post
    Just traded for one. SN puts it to 1940 30Gov't06. The good...the metal is about 95%. The bad...1 The stock has had some kind of heavy varnish applied. Not a huge deal. 2. It has been D&T'd on the rear ring (bridge). Not terrible since it is a common gun.

My question. It had a long rear sight with an elevator as evidenced by the blue loss there. What is the correct rear sight?
    I bought a pre-War Model 70 .30-06 in 1964. It had the long rear sight with stepped elevator. As far as I know, it was all original.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9226 times
    I have a worse story than FM. About 25 years ago I was working in a pawn shop. A kid had been coming in and selling/pawning some of the stuff he had inherited from his grandpa. One day he came toting in a rifle case. As the rifle slid out I noticed the pre 64 action of a M70, then the 6x Lyman Junior Targetspot, then the caliber 22 Hornet...I was getting a woodie, up to the point I noticed it was crudely stamped on the barrel 222 Remington. Practically broke my heart.

Apparently it was common conversion as I have seen several Hornet barrels marked that way over the years. One thing people failed to take in consideration is the Hornet's then had a .222 bore and not a .224 bore, so loading a 222 Rem to its full potential was impossible unless you used Hornet bullets. In fact when I tried to take the bolt out the release did not work. I pulled the BA out of the stock and found dozens of little discs where the firing pin dimple blew out of the primer.

I shot it quite a bit with 40gr Nosler ballistic tips and H322 but had to back it down to keep from blowing primers.
    I can relate. I've got a '92 short rifle, half rd/half oct, button mag .25-20 that someone rechambered to .357 mag. Ive never shot it.
    'This is King Fisher's Road--Take the other one'

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    661 times
    So, back on track
    Anyone know which model number sight should I be looking for?

Nice guns everyone
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
    Amat Victoria Curam

Never buy a gun you'll have to make excuses for later

Member #
    Liked
    2140 times
    Investigate the Winchester-produced 22G rear sight for your rifle.
    29aholic and SHOOTER13 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    9771 times
    Pictures
    Magnificent !!

...and worth the wait

Enjoy My Friend !!

My two rifles chambered in .30-06 Springfield (7.62×63mm):

U.S. rifle, caliber .30, M1 {circa 1944}

Gas Operated Semi Auto

Remington Model 7600 {circa 1981}

Pump Action

29aholic and LEO918 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NRA Life Member since 1977...

Member #
    Liked
    2140 times
    Image of a 22G sight gleaned off of the internet.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...ight-130140056
    29aholic likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links