• 1 Post By kenhwind
  • 4 Post By po18guy
  • 1 Post By Olle

Thread: Weird gun of the month

Member #
    Liked
    475 times

Weird gun of the month

Continuing on a streak (well is two a streak?) that started with me buying a Tokarev TT33 I present this odd little variant, chambered in 9mm para.

It's a Tokagypt 58 (Hungarian TT33), a variant of the Tokarev TT33 made under contract for the Egyptian government in 1958. Ordered in 9mm Luger, wrap around grips, safety, and finger support on magazine. After 13,250 were made and shipped the Egyptians failed to pay and shipments were halted. 7 variants came after this, some stamped Tokagypt, some Firebird, some blank. This is the seventh variant of which only 5000 were made, stamped Super 12. ( Serial# HF001-5000) Not such a common Soviet piece and a fun way to shoot a Tokarev with common calibre ammo.

Mine is missing the finger extension on the magazine, which is common. It did come with it's holster though, which is cool. Came up well with some saddle soap.
    The inner flap reads "Gregorenski G. But 3." An odd spelling so may be I'm off a letter. The condition is far than I expected for a Soviet military piece. Looking forward to trying it at the range.

Who knows what the triangle and "Super 12" mean on the slide. Just something for the US market I expect. It has the hammer and sickle on the other side, as well as TT, and indications for 9mm AND 7.62mm. Some came with a second barrel I've read.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brassmonkey; 08-20-2019 at 04:19 PM.
    Romulus, po18guy, Kurusu and 1 others like this.

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Nothing weird about it, i would describe it as beautiful.
    Brassmonkey and Kurusu like this.

Member #
    Liked
    683 times
    It looks like a hybrid of a CZ52 and a Tokarev.
    Brassmonkey likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4195 times
    Quote Originally Posted by deyomatic View Post
    It looks like a hybrid of a CZ52 and a Tokarev.
    It looked like a CZ 52 to me
    Brassmonkey likes this.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"

Member #
    Liked
    5696 times
    The wraparound grip is styled very similarly to the CZ, but it is pure TT33 in and out. A very interesting gun, with lift-out lockwork and a Charles Petter designed mainspring contained within the hammer. A motorcycle chain type masterlink clip on the right side is a novelty. The grip fixes the biggest ergonomic problem: the 2X4 feeling of the too-vertical backstrap. If you examine the 7.62 Tokarev/7.63 Mauser and similar rounds, you see that they are basically a 9mm round, lengthened and with a bottleneck added. Trim those cartridges to the base of the shoulder and you have a 9mm casing. The bolt face is 9mm sized already, so conversion was a snap.

Always wanted a TT33, but ended up with a ChiCom M20 clone, which is a somewhat obscure Viet Nam era weapon.
    NRA Life member. 31 year LEO. Moderator
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Survivor of 3 Cancers: PTCL-NOS, AITL, MDS, plus a stem cell transplant. My condensed cancer journey
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    under "about me" and more detail
    Avatar: "No, it's not a silencer. This little doodad is my own invention. I call it a LOUDENER"

Member #
    Liked
    475 times
    Po18guy- you've expressed why I bought it. Well put.
    And I just like the lines.

Member #
    Liked
    3967 times
    That triangle is weird. Russian Izhevsk arsenal used an arrow in a triangle as their symbol and Chinese arsenals used their arsenal number inside a triangle, but since the Tokagypts were made in Hungary there shouldn't be a triangle stamp on them. It could just be the importers way to "add interest", just like the hammer and sickle. Maybe they were trying to pass them off as Russian, who knows.
    Brassmonkey likes this.

Gun repair and restoration

Sponsored Links