Old western photos
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree166Likes

Thread: Old western photos

Member #
    Liked
    9003 times
    Tom Horn COULD be in that picture with Geronimo as he was the scout/interpreter that talked him in to that surrender council.
    Also what I like about the older pictures is that the people were`nt programed to grin like jackass`s as we have been for the last 80 years.
    https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...g&action=click

Member #
    Liked
    6247 times
    The pics I showed were, Ed Schieffelin, founder of Tombstone. Two unknown Dandys. The Gen Crook team at Geronimo's surrender.
    Cozmo likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    534 times
    Thanks for the replies. I’ve viewed a lot of “cowboy” photos that looked as if the poser has just stepped out of the dry goods store.

Joe

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    170 times
    Using Feralmerril’s idea that Tom Horn could be in the Geronimo photo, I compared several photos of him and concluded that Tom Horn is seated 7th from right front row. Need some facial recognition software.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill38; 08-21-2019 at 05:21 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2056 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cozmo View Post
    My point was everyone staged photos back in the day. The earlier the photo the more so, it didn't make a differnce if it was a studio shot or the best photographers working out doors.

Photographs were a treasured piece of the family's history, folks wanted to make them "right", often showing the best of what they had.

Festus?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1693 times
    Speaking of photographer’s props, in another discussion like this one some time ago, either here or on another forum, two pictures showing Southwestern Indians were presented which upon closer examination turned out to have been taken at the same studio; the Indians wore the same gun rig and even the same blanket. Attached a summary prepared back then of the detective work
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    3195 times
    Here's a studio shot

Another with a black cow boy

Real cowboys don't line dance, a Buckaroo won't even watch.

Member #
    Liked
    9003 times
    That crew on top I believe was with Buffalo Bill`s wild west show. Johnny Baker on bottom was the cowboy kid, a exhibition shooter.
    I think the black cowboy is rodeo rider Bill Picket that would bite a cows lip and pull it down.
    https://www.americanheritage.com/the...all-sure-shots
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Pickett

Member #
    Liked
    1329 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A. View Post
    I enjoy looking at all the old photos of westerners and their firearms, clothing, hats,etc. It is obvious that a number of the photos are taken in a studio. That makes me wonder if the firearms and clothing actually belongs to the person in the photo or do they belong to the studio.

Any input on that?

Joe
    I am certainly not the last word on your question, but in some old photos the guns and other equipment stand out as being the photographer's props.

For instance, the Geronimo picture showing him holding a Dance Percussion revolver. That Dance is an anachronism in Geronimo's hands, and has to be a loaned prop.

I have a number of picture post cards that almost surely were made with the "cowboy" equipped by the photographer. Images of these are not handy right now, but typically the guns, hats, and other gear look "hung onto" the would-be cowboy. Sometimes the hat and cartridge belt may look old, while the gun is a cheap small-caliber Iver-Johnson revolver. The "boots" on closer inspection may be laced up.

Member #
    Liked
    14571 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Armybrat
    Festus?
    Only someone from Texas

"1886. Miles City (Montana) photographer L.A. Huffman was working far from home when he made this photo of Henry Tunis on the unfenced range (perhaps near Fort Peck)." Tunis came up from Texas originally to work the XIT in Montana.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links