Colt Forum banner

One of my favorites, but not a Colt- 9/15 update

3K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  denpython 
#1 · (Edited)
I'll preface by saying that I have absolutely no business visiting any LGS; I've already spent my annual gun budget well into next year. So I walk into one of my LGS and see a large collection of consignment guns that recently came in; lots of Smiths and some nice Colt DA revolvers on the shelf, but one immediately jumps out at me a beautiful "S" prefix 3-1/2" Model 27. The other thing that jumped out at me was a price that was bit hard to believe. After a little negotiation that hard to believe price got even better, so I couldn't pass it up no matter the condition of my wallet.

I'll post some better pictures in the Friendly S&W thread after pick it up in a couple of weeks and have a chance to clean up the fingerprints and smudges. The 3-1/2" 27 is my absolute favorite N-frame Smith. I haven't had one in a LONG time, it's nice to find another.

Best regards,

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks, this one dates to 1968. The 27 (or pre-27) has always been my favorite 357. Back in the day I had a couple of Pythons at different times, but I always preferred shooting the 27s and would sell or trade away the Pythons, usually for other N-frame Smiths.

That's a beautiful pre-27, and yes I'd say better looking than a Python. The 3-1/2" looks "all business" more than just about any other revolver.

Best regards,

#9 · (Edited)
I live in California, too where a 3 1/2" Model 27-anything are impossible to find. I always wanted one but considered it hopeless until about six years ago I saw a 27-2 on our local online gun site for $475 about 20 minutes from me. It was priced low because it binded up on double action. It's not as early as yours (late 70s?) but it's pinned and recessed which is a must for me on 27s. It cost $100 to fix and now wears Swamprats cleaned up cut down Coke grips.

#10 ·
Really nice looking 3-1/2", it looks like it has the target hammer, I have a 6" 27 of about the same late '70s vintage. I like what Swamprat did with those grips. I have an old pretty beat set of Rosewood S&W target grips that I was going to send to him to do his magic, but unfortunately it was just one of those thing that I never got around to doing. Looking at what he did with yours, I might just give a try at a little modification and refinishing on them myself.

Best regards,

#17 ·
Model 27's are the Rolls Royce of S&W 357's and are the direct descendant of the original registered magnums. As a LEO I was issued a Python very early in my career. It shot real good but I never liked the action very well. After a few years the Department traded the Python's in for S&W 66's and years later those traded for 686's. I prefer S&W revolvers myself and my carry revolver is a 66 2.5". I like the K frames for a holster or concealed carry weapon. The big N frame 27's are the best for shooting, imho.

#24 · (Edited)
Nice combination Wyatt! Patton had good taste in his sidearms.

BTW, I want to thank you, I was inspired by the image of the grips that Swamprat worked on for you, and spent a good part of the day Monday cutting, modifying, and re-finishing the ratty old set of rosewood target grips I had. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out; I'll post a picture of them on the 27 when I pick it up.

Best regards,

#25 ·
I remember seeing an 8 3/8" nickel Model 29 with very dark smooth what I assumed were factory grips. It was one reason why I chose very dark cocobolas when I bought a set from Culina/Kurak though my guns are blue. Can't wait to see the results of yours. The butchered Coke grips Hugh redid for me are so short they only look right on the 3 1/2 incher. I got these cut down K frames at the same time but they are really chipped up, but feel great on a gun.

#26 ·
I picked up the 27 yesterday from its 10 day CA quarantine, cleaned it up a bit and took a couple of new snaps. The first with the stock grips, and the others with a set of ratty old rosewood targets that I was inspired to cut-down, modify, and refinish by Wyatt Burp's cut-down targets by Swamprat. I think they're a good match for the short barreled 27.

Best regards,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.