Like Tree63Likes

Thread: "Prodigal" Guns or (perhaps more appropriately) "Sins of the Father"

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    6987 times

"Prodigal" Guns or (perhaps more appropriately) "Sins of the Father"

We've had past threads regarding guns that members regretted selling. I thought it would be fun to start a thread about guns that left the nest but eventually came back home. Post what you've got. I'll start the ball rolling with mine:

This one just came home yesterday. An Army Special 32-20 (Thank you, tarantulakeeper).

USFA Prewar 38 Special (Thank you, what would you say).

Colt SAA Long Flutes in 44-40 (Thank you, LeverActionBill).

Police Positive 32 on a 38 frame (Thanks for listing it, Lumberjack).

Last edited by Hopalong; 09-11-2019 at 02:12 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    244 times
    Good for you! Mine all seem to fall down a black hole never to be seen again just as soon as the regret sets in .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun - Do Not Touch

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    7967 times
    About the only prodigal gun I remember was a Manurhin made Walther PPK/s in .22LR I bought during the famous "Walther War" when Walther and Manurhin were both selling PP series pistols in America, each claiming to be the "real "maker of them.
    I sold it to my brother-in-law and later bought it back.
    krag96 and Hopalong like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3169 times
    Back in '86, my ex and I had a bit of a family emergency and I needed to raise some cash in a hurry, so I ended up selling a number of my guns to the now long gone Pachmayr gun shop in L.A.; several 1st gen SAAs, a 2nd gen (beautiful fancy walnut one piece grips and action job by Jim Martin), a couple of 3rds, some nice S&Ws along with a few other guns including a B.C. Miroku built Charles Daly Superior grade Trap gun.

Now fast forward 28 years to about 5 years ago when I stopped in at a little gun shop in Riverside to see if they had anything interesting, and there sitting in the racks was a decent looking Charles Daly Trap gun. I asked to look at it, and I quickly realized that this wasn't just another old CD trap gun, this was the same gun that I'd sold back in 1986. I recognized the wood in the stock (and a couple of dings that I was responsible for), and it had the same Morgan adjustable butt pad that I had John French install on it in '75 or '76 when I first bought the gun.

I didn't really need it, but how could I pass up buying back a gun that I hadn't wanted to sell, but needed to for the cash. I've sold and traded LOTS of guns over the years, but this one made me smile, because I felt like I'd recovered something that I had lost years ago.

BTW, if anyone has a well used late 2nd gen SAA, 5-1/2", B/CCH 45 Colt with beautiful one piece fancy walnut stocks, and a wonderful smooth action, with 798SA as the last three digits of the serial number (I still have the original grips/stocks so I know the last 3 numbers), please let me know, I'd love to talk to you about it, either to buy it back or to know that it's in a good home.

Best regards,
    Last edited by Monsai52; 09-08-2019 at 12:54 PM.
    krag96, 22_Matt and Hopalong like this.
    My opinion is free, and worth every penny of it.

Member #
    Liked
    60 times
    I haven’t had any guns come back but I did hunt down a super lightweight horsehide custom holster along with a vintage sd myres holster I foolishly sold. Glad to have those back
    Hopalong likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    492 times
    This Freedom Arms recently came home.

This TLA West Texas Flat Top Target has been home twice so far!

This Gallagher long cylinder 44 mag bisley has returned as well.

This TLA Improved #5 has lived here at least twice so far.

The Les Baer Custom Carry has returned home in the past too.

This unique USFA has come home twice now and is getting ready to get re-homed once again.

As has a S&W Model 24 3" 44 Special that I can not find a picture of right now!
    Last edited by rbrbrb6; 09-10-2019 at 09:49 PM.
    Hopalong likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    12329 times
    I bought this used .22 S&W Model 18-3 around 1985 for about $180. It was the most accurate handgun I ever shot. I then traded it to a friend for, now don't laugh, a EMF Hartford model Artillery .45, also very accurate. Then about twenty years later i offered that same friend $450 or $475 for it. He said no but called me back later changing his mind. Now it ain't going nowhere.

Last edited by Wyatt Burp; 09-09-2019 at 09:54 AM.
    Hopalong, skwcoltguy and sixguns like this.

Member #
    Liked
    9134 times
    The only one I recall was a nice Belgium Browning Hi power I bough cheap from a janitor at work. I sold it to my best friend and made some money. Later I bought it back for even more. He traded me something nice for it, and later we did another deal. Finally I sold it to another guy at work. Then my buddy asked me about it. I admitted I sold it. He said WHAT?? We was making a good living off that gun!
    Hopalong and skwcoltguy like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2169 times
    There's a list in my mind of firearms that "went away" that are mourned. Of course there are a few on a list of which I am glad to see the back side of.

Of the mourned models, none have returned as of yet.

This .25 Colt Model 1908 turned up missing a few years back. Stayed missing for a little over a year.

On a condition check of guns not always used, I was amazed to open up its zippered pouch and discover a bug had entered the safe, climbed to the Colt shelf at the top, crawled within the tightly zippered pouch, snuggled up to the little Colt and died.

I took this photo of the incident and wiped the Colt down, but didn't recall immediately returning it to the safe because I wanted to clean the pouch. I remember doing something with it as we were locking the house in preparation for an extended trip, but couldn't recall what I'd done with it. I turned the house upside down, got out the metal detector, looked within the couches and comfy chairs, and removed the books from the full length shelves in the library because my mind's eye could visualize placing the pistol on top of books on one of the high shelves.

It was absent from July 4, 2015 to October 31, 2016 when I found it stuffed into one of the coin storage boxes in the safe.

No Colt Model 1908s were harmed in this bug incident. RIG preservative grease saves the day with perfect satisfaction.
    Monsai52, Hopalong and Kilowatt3 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    10061 times
    I've had a number that have returned to me - the most recent being an early stainless Officer's ACP, after over 30 years.
    Monsai52, Hopalong and bmcgilvray like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links