'81 S&W Model 63 no dash
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: '81 S&W Model 63 no dash

Member #
    Liked
    68 times

'81 S&W Model 63 no dash

I bought this off of another forum. The price was reasonable from what I have seen, but it looked very dirty so I took a bit of a chance. It cleaned up very nicely and has a bright, shiny bore now that it's clean, and it's a nice plinker for the money. I'm quite happy with it.

1. Pic sent to me by the seller before I purchased
    i-BBbQMrL-X2.jpg

2. Pics after I cleaned it up
    i-nkBPVmm-XL.jpg
    i-3Rk4QrM-XL.jpg

Member #
    Liked
    13265 times
    Nice Score Jerry !!

The Model 63 was S&W's first stainless steel J-Frame kit gun introduced in 1977 and made until 1998.

S&W brought them back at the Shot Show in 2007...

I own a few vintage S&W revolvers myself...

Here's a factory nickeled Model 13-3...a 3" bull barrel.

Last edited by SHOOTER13; 09-14-2019 at 09:39 AM.
    LEO918, Coltsformysons and jertex like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NRA Life Member since 1977...

Member #
    Liked
    9890 times
    Nice!
    jertex likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2542 times
    The older Model 63's have become very popular and prices have been climbing over the last few years. They are great little guns for when you want a .22 around but don't want to carry the weight or bulk of many other choices. The adjustable sights are a bonus too, easy to zero when you find a load that it likes. I looked for a long time to find one here in CA at a reasonable price and I won't part with it. I have found that once the burn rings have been cleaned from the cylinder face, a light coating of Corrosion-X makes cleaning them again with a little Hoppes No. 9 and a toothbrush an easy task. Let the solvent soak for a while, and you will only occasionally need to use a little Flitz to clean up any remaining carbon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    12530 times
    The only S&W Kit Gun I never liked was the 2" version. Never found anything that shot good out of it. When I was walking the Civil War battlefields and campsites with a metal detector I carried a Model 43 Kit Gun with the 3 1/2" barrel, and it shot excellent with everything I tried in it.

Very handy little guns.
    jertex and saintclair like this.

Member #
    Liked
    3050 times
    I handled a friend's Model 63 some years ago and decided I had to have one! I found this no dash 63 in a gunshop in Roswell, New Mexico. I found the grips a few years later in San Antonio. He had sent his off and had a 22 Mag cylinder and crane fitted. I never got around to that.

DSCN0569.JPG DSCN0568.JPG
    "Cowards never lasted long enough to become real
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ." --

Life Member: NRA, TSRA, NMSSA
    Action Pistol Director-TSRA

Member #
    Liked
    68 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Rego View Post
    The older Model 63's have become very popular and prices have been climbing over the last few years. They are great little guns for when you want a .22 around but don't want to carry the weight or bulk of many other choices. The adjustable sights are a bonus too, easy to zero when you find a load that it likes. I looked for a long time to find one here in CA at a reasonable price and I won't part with it. I have found that once the burn rings have been cleaned from the cylinder face, a light coating of Corrosion-X makes cleaning them again with a little Hoppes No. 9 and a toothbrush an easy task. Let the solvent soak for a while, and you will only occasionally need to use a little Flitz to clean up any remaining carbon.
    I use the Birchwood Casey Lead Remover & Polishing cloth to remove the burn rings from the cylinder face & it seems to work quite well. I haven't tried coating them with Corrosion-X but I may give that try as well.
    Jerry

Member #
    Liked
    688 times
    Not sure I ever saw a 'dash' on a 63.

I just sold mine a few weeks ago.
    "One does not sell Colts , one buys Colts! "

Member #
    Liked
    5493 times
    Always a favorite here. Mine's a first year gun with S&W Target grips...
    Living a dream.

Member #
    Liked
    2542 times
    S&W sure used some beautiful Goncalo Alves for their smooth J frame Target Stocks. Most I have seen have had great color and grain. I found the ones for my Model 63 at a gun show, the seller had about a half dozen, $45 each take your pick and all of them were highly figured.
    LEO918 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links