Like Tree88Likes

Thread: The best 19th Century firearm?

Member #
    Colorado in the summer and Arizona in the winter
    Liked
    468 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Oyeboten View Post
    I'd agree...

And for the 20th Century, I'd say the Colt m1911 / Government Model.

So...Colt seems to be the winner for both Centuries of course!
    If we're gonna talk 20th century, then I will submit the Browning M-2 50 caliber machine gun.
    bearcat6 and SHOOTER13 like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1054 times
    Nobody has mentioned the Webley revolvers which saw vastly more action that any other revolver. Although looking at long arms the development of the Minie cartridge in rifled muskets changed warfare.
    SMLE1907 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosby View Post
    I’d say that you’re preaching to the choir.

Tom
    Although , my true love is a somewhat newer version that Colt has blessed me with ; I seldom go to bed without , at least , looking at it. It's time has truly "come and gone" but I can never shake the "love" I have developed for this unique handgun and cartridge combination ! I attach pics of my "Beauty"...………(1911 .38 super)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    webley455 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    790 times
    [QUOTE=Rick Bowles; What caliber?

44 Russian
    Front target sight only
    Last edited by cloverleaf; 09-16-2019 at 10:57 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    5755 times
    Hereby nominated for 1st Place in the "Best Not-A-Colt" category, the 1890 Remington.

Attachment 653575
    Attached Images Attached Images
    cloverleaf and ei8ht like this.
    NRA Life member. 31 year LEO. Moderator
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Survivor of 3 Cancers: PTCL-NOS, AITL, MDS, plus a stem cell transplant. My condensed cancer journey
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    under "about me" and more detail
    Avatar: "No, it's not a silencer. This little doodad is my own invention. I call it a LOUDENER"

Member #
    Liked
    9184 times
    The best at what?

Member #
    Liked
    3810 times

Colt SAA? The best firearm of the XIXth Century?

Not by a long shot.

Ever heard of a fellow named Hiram Maxim?

I won't even go into artillery.

Member #
    Liked
    9184 times
    Kurusu likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    The Forsyth Patent Gun Company was formed 1808. Later the name was changed to Forsyth & Co in 1809. Doctor Alexander John Forsyth and his invention of the percussion gun it was the greatest step forward since the invention of gun powder and the most important development since firearms were first made some four hundred years before. His invention came to him when out duck shooting he noticed that the ducks would dive under the water when they saw the flash of the powder in his flint lock pan. It is of interest to note that Pauly of France and are said Prelat to have carried out the inventions around the same time. Numerous plans were soon devised in Europe and America. Samuel Colt then brought the Paterson percussion revolver out some 30 years later. So the best fire arm of the 19th Century in my book goes to a Scottish Minister who formed Forsyth & Co, hand gun and rifle maker. Colt being next with his 5 shot Paterson revolver, also the Eli Whitney Walker revolver which is very much credited to early USA arms history.

Member #
    Liked
    5755 times
    Well, an argument can be made for the ugly Mosin-Nagant, due to its ruggedness, its military use in three centuries, its ubiquitous nature, the sheer number made by numerous nations and the fact that its caliber exceeds the .308 almost 60 years prior.

It is rumored that Soviet General Aleksei Antonov said of the Mosin Nagant: "это лучшее боевое орудие, когда-либо разработанное!", roughly, "It is the best battle implement ever devised!"

OK, I made that up.
    bearcat6, SHOOTER13 and ei8ht like this.
    NRA Life member. 31 year LEO. Moderator
    Survivor of 3 Cancers: PTCL-NOS, AITL, MDS, plus a stem cell transplant. My condensed cancer journey
    under "about me" and more detail
    Avatar: "No, it's not a silencer. This little doodad is my own invention. I call it a LOUDENER"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links