• 2 Post By Buckspen
  • 1 Post By coltsixguns
  • 1 Post By coltsixguns

Thread: RIA realized prices

Member #
    Liked
    717 times

RIA realized prices

Not to add to the thread on the high dollar 1880 SAA. I looked at the realized prices on that auction and was kind of suprised at how low some guns went, especially some 1886 Winchesters and older SAA's. I was also surprised how high some 1911's went.

Anybody else have the same thoughts?
    Amat Victoria Curam

Never buy a gun you'll have to make excuses for later

Member #
    Liked
    873 times
    1886 Winchesters have been soft for a while now while high condition 1892's and 1873's remain very strong.

1911's look to continue to be strong.

1st gen SAA's appeal to a smaller percentage of buyers, I see a stronger coming market in 2nd and 3rd gen guns. Those with special order features will be much more desired.
    29aholic likes this.
    I don't know much but at least I know that much.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    688 times
    I put my first ever gun in that RIA auction, it tanked. It brought exactly original high estimate minus $100 THEN DIVIDED BY HALF. Several years investment and I lost in the neighborhood of $20-40 total. Not complaining, win some, lose some. I did wait too long to sell it, believe this would have brought 1k-2k more a few years ago. Probably will roll the dice again. All it takes is for me to be interested in buying a gun and itíll bring 2x-3x high estimate lol. Iíve literally had that happen on most Iíve been interested in. However I believe itís because their estimates were low on those and I was licking my chops. Didnít win any of course. I remember one had an estimate of like 5k. I thought thatís a 15-20k gun. Think it brought a little over 20k.
    cloverleaf likes this.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit such crimes... such laws make things worse for the assualted and better for the assailants: they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man" Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    691 times
    [QUOTE=big_gus;3057283]I put my first ever gun in that RIA auction,

Big Gus, can you tell us what their consignment fee was? Thanks

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    688 times
    I’m not 100% sure yet as it’s 35 days after end of auction in which a check is issued but I’m assuming the agreement is correct. It states 20% in premier auctions. In other auctions it is 25%. Of course if your gun is “good enough” to get in a premier auction, you want it there. I’ll let everyone know if there’s any hidden charges. I’ve heard rumors of that but I honestly don’t believe it’s true.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit such crimes... such laws make things worse for the assualted and better for the assailants: they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man" Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    2703 times
    I sold the majority of my single action .22 collection in several Rock Island auctions over the summer. In the non-Premier auctions, the fee is 25%. No other fees were deducted from the hammer prices of the guns. The Premier auctions have a 20% fee but I haven't gotten the check from the September sale yet.
    There was a $100 fee for picking up all of the guns initially. For that fee they came to my house, inventoried the guns, wrapped them carefully and trucked them back to Rock Island, I thought that was a bargain. Less than $1.00 per gun.

- - - Buckspen
    Cozmo and big_gus like this.

Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Is it me that thinks RIA is a great place to sell. There always seem to be lots of bidders. I gave up on winning anything at RIA for a reasonable price (after buyer fees added).

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3300 times
    I've been pretty pleased with what I've bought from RIA even after the juice. But I use good judgement and discipline and don't get caught up in the auction hype.
    Sometimes their catalogers make mistakes and make a bad call on a gun that sends most people running for the exits. I look the pictures over good and ask for more pictures if I need them. They sold an engraved single action from 1893 a while back that the cataloger said was engraved later in it's life and it was actually factory engraved per the archives dept. They don't use the sharpest pencils on their regional auctions and sometimes they miss the boat on their premier auctions as well. "Ask me how I know"
    29aholic likes this.
    Always interested in adding nice, original or interesting pre 1940 single actions to my private collection. Contact me via PM.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    So, who bought the Walker?
    Amat Victoria Curam

Never buy a gun you'll have to make excuses for later

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3300 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 29aholic View Post
    So, who bought the Walker?
    Nope.....I don't do percussions! They are too slow to load and make a mess when you shoot them!
    29aholic likes this.
    Always interested in adding nice, original or interesting pre 1940 single actions to my private collection. Contact me via PM.

Sponsored Links