Looking for colt steel TG & BS to upgrade another Italian clone, Here's why.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Looking for colt steel TG & BS to upgrade another Italian clone, Here's why.

Member #
    Liked
    101 times

Looking for colt steel TG & BS to upgrade another Italian clone, Here's why.

italian Colt.jpg
    I have honestly disliked the brass back strap & trigger guard on my Uberti for about 30 years now. A few days ago I replaced the brass BS & TG on my Armi Jager Dakota with Colt 3rd gen parts. I even got rid of the ridiculous base pin with built in safety. I had to change the main spring as the Italian made one no longer fit properly. I am sure I am not the first to do this upgrade but I sure do like it.
    I am in need of 2 more back straps and trigger guards as I would like to improve 2 more of my Italian clones. I hope someone has them in their spare parts box. I think a 2nd gen set up may work a little better as the trigger guard from the 3 rd gen that I used covers half of the S/N. In the mean time I will keep looking on Ebay.

LonesomePigeon likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    14965 times
    A lot cheaper to just buy Uberti or Pietta (VTI is a good source) parts and not a big drop in quality from what I have played with.

Member #
    Liked
    197 times
    Of it's for a Uberti, look for the set for the London Navy, they're the same as the SAA.
    Cozmo and bighipiron like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    517 times
    So the Colt 3rd Gen BS/TG fits the Armi Jaeger but you have to shorten the mainspring.

Will a Colt 3rd Gen BS/TG fit a Uberti?

Will a Colt 2nd Gen BS/TG fit a Uberti?

And if so, does it matter when the Uberti was made? I believe there are at least two "generations" of Uberti, pre-CNC and current.

I have wanted to know the answers because I too would like to install a Colt BS/TG on my 2017 Uberti Flattop Target .44-40.

Member #
    Liked
    236 times
    Quote Originally Posted by superdave269 View Post
    I have honestly disliked the brass back strap & trigger guard on my Uberti for about 30 years now. A few days ago I replaced the brass BS & TG on my Armi Jager Dakota with Colt 3rd gen parts. I even got rid of the ridiculous base pin with built in safety. I had to change the main spring as the Italian made one no longer fit properly. I am sure I am not the first to do this upgrade but I sure do like it.
    I am in need of 2 more back straps and trigger guards as I would like to improve 2 more of my Italian clones. I hope someone has them in their spare parts box. I think a 2nd gen set up may work a little better as the trigger guard from the 3 rd gen that I used covers half of the S/N. In the mean time I will keep looking on Ebay.
    Did you use a Colt base pin on that Jager? It makes for a sloppy sixgun, Colt basepin is .250, Jager is .255

Colt gen 2 tg will not be any different in revealing more serial when installed on a Jager.

Colt SAA grip strap sets are expensive to the point that its generally not highest and best use to put them on Italian clones. You can get the steel Uberti sets from VTI.
    Last edited by gazelle; 09-25-2019 at 10:04 AM.
    The web's most complete resource on
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    405 times
    I bought a TG and BS to put on my 2nd gen commemorative model with gold plated bits but haven't tried to fit them yet. The BS finish is not in the best condition so it really needs to be refinished and these were not inexpensive parts to buy, even on ebay.

Member #
    Liked
    236 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LonesomePigeon View Post
    So the Colt 3rd Gen BS/TG fits the Armi Jaeger but you have to shorten the mainspring.

Will a Colt 3rd Gen BS/TG fit a Uberti?

Will a Colt 2nd Gen BS/TG fit a Uberti?

And if so, does it matter when the Uberti was made? I believe there are at least two "generations" of Uberti, pre-CNC and current.

I have wanted to know the answers because I too would like to install a Colt BS/TG on my 2017 Uberti Flattop Target .44-40.

Somewhat remarkably, the screw hole distances on just about all the clone models ever made are remarkably consistent and true to the Colt SAA blueprint. So yes, you can put a Colt strap set on a Uberti and do a lot of other mix and matches as well.

With a current Uberti, its probably a project that goes decently (I'm thinking maybe you want to dress that FT Target in black Colt grips?).

How well a strap set 'naturally' fits to a frame you are putting it on will depend on the tolerances that the rear frame edge and rear bottom edge were decked at for height and angle. If there are great differences it may go on with some tension to align the bottom tg screw hole with the one on the backstrap, ie, goes on kinda sprung and distorts the shape of the grip profile.

Additionally, to not have a project like this look bubba'd up you'll want nice edge matches on the trigger guard sides and the cylinder frame sides, etc. This is something that can look sloppy when you mix strap sets with frames from other mfg's.
    Last edited by gazelle; 09-25-2019 at 09:58 AM.
    LonesomePigeon likes this.
    The web's most complete resource on
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    1292 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Pthfndr985 View Post
    Of it's for a Uberti, look for the set for the London Navy, they're the same as the SAA.
    That's what I did with an open top and it worked great. Got the exact look I wanted. Now I need to fit some grips to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cozmo View Post
    A lot cheaper to just buy Uberti or Pietta (VTI is a good source) parts and not a big drop in quality from what I have played with.
    A lot cheaper!

Member #
    Liked
    652 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
    I bought a TG and BS to put on my 2nd gen commemorative model with gold plated bits but haven't tried to fit them yet. The BS finish is not in the best condition so it really needs to be refinished and these were not inexpensive parts to buy, even on ebay.
    Cannot deplate the gold from the TG and BS?

Member #
    Liked
    101 times
    Cozmo, Pthfnder985 Using Uberti parts is plan B if I can't locate Colt parts. My concern with going in that direction is the grips. I believe Uberti uses a different profile and I really want genuine Colt grips. This may be a little silly but it is what I want.
    Gazelle I had no idea the base pins diameter is a little different. Of course I took out the micrometer and you are 100% correct.

I appreciate all the feedback on this. Thanks everyone. Heres to finding some Colt trigger guards.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links