Question on aiming with older eyes.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Question on aiming with older eyes.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1166 times

Question on aiming with older eyes.

I have 62 year old eyes and have a question. I have to wear 175 power readers for up close but can still see good at farther distances. When shooting my open sight handguns at 25 - 30 feet I have to decide if I want to see my sights through the glasses and the target be blurry or vise versa. I am sure others around here have had the same problem. Any suggestions?

Member #
    Liked
    10153 times
    Time to talk to your opthamologist…

You can buy a scrip specifically for shooting.

Absolutely 'crisp' sights are now a must - carbide sight smokers will help blackening them.
    459459, dkay62, scstrain and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    I’m 61 and have real issues due to near sightedness. I had my ophthalmologist help with a prescription that gives reasonable view of the sights but the target can be blurry. I chose to increase my depth of field view by creating a pin hole in electrical tape that I then placed over one of my lenses in my glasses. This helps a lot but it ain’t great. My 8 inch Anaconda has a Burris scope and that’s the only real way I can see well when I shoot one of my handguns.

The shooting glasses are not progressives or bifocals, just one prescription that gives “sharp” sights and makes shooting fun again. Good luck.
    scstrain and victorio1sw like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5755 times
    It is an optical principle that if you look close, you cannot see far. But, it you look far, you can still see close. It is impossible for the eye to focus on three focal planes. Thus, we were taught:

1. Front sight
    2. Front sight
    3. You guessed it.

However, do have doc look around for cataracts, excess interocular pressure and nerve and vein condition. None is good and they are degenerative. Recently, I was essentially blind due to "world class" cataracts, according to the surgeon. Thanks to Abbott Laboratories, I now have better vision in my left eye than I did at birth. Cataract gone and new lens inserted. All it cost was a shooter-grade Python - but I already have one. If I can shake this virus, will have the same done in the right eye. Right will focus to about arm's length, and the left closer than that. I will need reader's but I am done with prescriptions, as the lenses are set in stone, so to speak.
    NRA Life member. 31 year LEO. Moderator
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Survivor of 3 Cancers: PTCL-NOS, AITL, MDS, plus a stem cell transplant. My condensed cancer journey
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    under "about me" and more detail
    Avatar: "No, it's not a silencer. This little doodad is my own invention. I call it a LOUDENER"

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    8008 times
    When I was shooting a lot I had my optometrist set up shooting glasses that focused on the front sight.
    The rear sight was slightly blurry, the target was blurry but the front was sharp and clear.
    He had me hold up a ruler edge at the distance I wanted and he adjusted the prescription for that distance.
    For most people a pistol held at arms length will put the front sight almost exactly the distance of a rifle front sight.

My buddy does a lot of long range and accuracy shooting and has been the state champion for the last three years.
    He ordered a special pair of shooting glasses with a front sight focus and interchangeable lenses of different colors for different conditions.

If you use a red dot sight, get distance vision.
    If you use a scope, just adjust the focus for your eye.

Another option for less active shooting is a Merit adjustable aperture device that sticks to your glass lens with a suction cup.
    You adjust the aperture until the front sight is sharp.
    po18guy, scstrain and victorio1sw like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1750 times
    At my age I just point and shoot, I quit trying to hit the bulls eye years ago, just hitting the target is good enough for me.
    I never plan on shooting the gun out of some bad guys hand.
    Last edited by lboos; 09-25-2019 at 04:46 PM.
    dkay62, oberon, po18guy and 4 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    9184 times
    My problem is I have developed "The shakes". Cant do much about that.
    scstrain likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1141 times
    We have one eye doctor in town that specializes in exactly that. He will set you up for rifle, pistol or shotgun. He fixed up one high power shooter with different glasses for prone vs sitting and offhand.
    scstrain likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    11738 times
    With no more correction than you are using try the 1.0 readers next time you are at Wally World. The distance loses some sharpness, but helps with the sights.
    scstrain likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Red dot sights have been a game changer for my 65 year old eyes.
    shooter214 and scstrain like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links