To Desert Eagle .44 mag or not?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: To Desert Eagle .44 mag or not?

Member #
    Liked
    1796 times

To Desert Eagle .44 mag or not?

Walked into one of the local stores and saw a 44 mag desert eagle.

Have very little knowledge of these and have never fired one. They want 1250 for it. It's hard chrome and in good condition.

Member #
    Liked
    568 times
    I've owned and shot a few. Usually .44 Mag.
    I buy them if they're under market and resell but have no interest in owning one long term.
    They are heavy, cumbersome and I view them as a novelty gun. Spend your money on something useful.
    mkk41 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    352 times
    Buy the 50AE. Shoot either in an indoor range or outdoors at night. Talk about a muzzle flash (and blast)!

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    395 times
    If you do buy it, never shoot lead bullets in it. I didn't know this and my Desert Eagle once seized up so bad that I had to hire a gunsmith to fix it.

Member #
    Liked
    463 times
    I have one in 44 mag. I use it for bowling pins tournaments, works great. Mine is a mark xii...the newer ones have a built in picatinny top strap. Lots of haters of the DE, if you are just buying it for the cool factor, it will wear off fast. I place in tournaments regularly, so it's doing something right! I also have a 10 inch BFR in 30-30. It's a deer killing machine! As mentioned above, no straight lead bullets.
    I carry a gun, because a cop is too heavy!

Member #
    Liked
    2855 times
    I love the Desert Eagle. I have three of them. The 357, 44 and 50AE versions. I started with the 44 and everyone said "is that a 50AE?" So I bought a 50AE. Later I ran into a deal on the 357 so I have three. They are accurate, pleasant to shoot and usually have decent triggers. They are gas operated so as someone already said, stay away from lead bullets. DE's like good stout ammunition to make them operate. There is a list provided in the owners manual to tell you what kinds of factory ammo works best.

Older versions of the Desert Eagle are MK1 and MKXII. The most current configuration is a MK XIX. The MKXIX model can be easily converted from 44 to 50 AE with a magazine and a barrel change. They can also be converted to 357 but require a bolt change as well as a barrel and magazine change to make that happen. All my pistols are MKXIX models.

Here is a link to tell you what version of Desert Eagle you are looking at:

https://www.magnumresearch.com/PDF/D..._MarkI-XIX.pdf

The 44 is fun but the 50AE is the best caliber in this pistol. You cannot shoot a magazine without a big smile on your face! The DE is just fun. You can legally hunt deer and other animals in many states with this pistol also. 44 and 50AE is much more affordable if you reload.

When I buy a used Desert Eagle, I order a spring kit and replace all the springs. Many people have problems if your springs are weak or your ammunition is weak. Magnum Research spring kits are available from Midway, Brownells and other retailers.

Here are my three Desert Eagles:

Desert Eagle Family Portrait 103015.jpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Best Regards,
    Doug
    - (dkay62) NRA Benefactor Member

Member #
    Liked
    1796 times
    Thanks for the info. I thought about it, but decided not to get it at this time.

I did notice he had my special combat carry I regretfully sold him back in the summer marked down, so it came back home with me.
    Kerz likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2214 times
    I owned one for years. I got old and it got heavy.

Member #
    Liked
    9059 times
    I shot my friends'.44 DE. Fun, I guess. What it needed was wheels and a trailer hitch.

Member #
    Liked
    578 times
    Though of high quality , I personally regard it as on ot the most ridiculous handguns ever made.

claws.gifclaws.gif
    1911Collector likes this.
    "One does not sell Colts , one buys Colts! "

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links