Stag Grip Finish
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Jim Martin

Thread: Stag Grip Finish

Member #
    Liked
    584 times

Stag Grip Finish

I don’t seem to recall this being discussed here before but if there is already a thread addressing this topic feel free to just drop a link. I’m working on tweaking a set of stags for a SA to comply with my “exacting” fitment and profile requirements and after the dirty work, I’ve got them cleaned back up to a silky, satin finish @ 1000 grit. Just wondering what our resident grip experts do at this point to achieve that final gloss? Compound and buffer? Wax/oil?

Member #
    Liked
    5926 times
    Quote Originally Posted by VoyPescado View Post
    I don’t seem to recall this being discussed here before but if there is already a thread addressing this topic feel free to just drop a link. I’m working on tweaking a set of stags for a SA to comply with my “exacting” fitment and profile requirements and after the dirty work, I’ve got them cleaned back up to a silky, satin finish @ 1000 grit. Just wondering what our resident grip experts do at this point to achieve that final gloss? Compound and buffer? Wax/oil?
    When I still made grips I kept a clean buffing wheel,by that I mean hadn't been used for metal polishing & I used that for polishing stag,ivory & even wood to get a nice sheen.I used compound on all the ivory,stag etc. but used a good floor wax on the wood but not on wood that I put an oil finish on.
    73shovel, Hopalong and SHOOTER13 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    584 times
    Thanks Jim. I’ll give the buffer a shot this pm and post a few pics of the finished product.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    11827 times
    Once the stag has been polished an occasional polish with Flitz on the smooth surfaces will give it a good shine.

Sponsored Links