• 8 Post By faraim
  • 3 Post By Wyatt Burp
  • 1 Post By SHOOTER13

Thread: Pretty Boy Floyd's Colt

Member #
    Liked
    679 times

Pretty Boy Floyd's Colt

This story came up over dinner last night and I thought I'd share it with you all. In the mid 90's work took my wife and me to Honolulu for a couple of years. One day I was talking to my neighbor, originally from Oklahoma, and the discussion turned to guns. Along with hunting yarns and reloading tales he mentioned that he owned Pretty Boy Floyd's pistol. I tried to be polite, but I'm sure skepticism was written all over my face. Pretty soon I was on his couch, holding an old photo album. The first ten or so pages contained photos of a Colt Model 1903 hammerless .32. It was in average condition, and photographed from every conceivable angle. Then came newspaper clippings of Charley (Pretty Boy) Floyd. Next were photos of a group of folks, one of them Floyd, inside an old general store. One of the images was of Floyd handing a pistol to another man while shaking his hand. Finally, there were a handful of written statements from witnesses. It seems the mercantile was owned by one of my neighbor's uncles. A family member of Pretty Boy Floyd had run up a debt he was unable to pay. Rather than use strong arm tactics, Floyd gave the Colt to the store owner in exchange for the cancellation of the debt. I don't know much about Floyd but he followed some sort of moral code. Going by the number of photos and written statements, my neighbor's relative knew a good deal when it was dumped in his lap. If I ever see the little Colt on a firearms auction site I suspect it'll be one of the best documented weapons for sale.

Member #
    Liked
    12779 times
    Him giving the gun made sense. If Floyd didn't steal the gun during one of his crimes he bought it with stolen money. So not much to lose there. Look at the arsenal of stolen guns Bonnie & Clyde had on them when killed. But poor farmers hid him when he escaped into the hills and gained their trust because like Butch Cassidy he spread stolen money around generously to maintain that trust. Not intimidating a store owner but giving the gun instead would be a good investment. If I recall the book I have on him, he was hard to find once he got into I think the "Cook" or "Cookson" hills where he was relatively safe.
    LEO918, faraim and SHOOTER13 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    12390 times
    I would rather have Floyd's "Chopper" for my collection...

cloverleaf likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NRA Life Member since 1977...

Sponsored Links