Your Ultimate Colt Letter?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: Your Ultimate Colt Letter?

Member #
    Liked
    43 times

Your Ultimate Colt Letter?

My brother and I often speculate about what city or state would be our top location to have a Colt SAA letter to. I am fortunate enough to own a Manzanares Las Vegas New Mexico Territory single action, and indeed Las Vegas NM would be very high on my list. We probably all agree that Hollywood has had a huge impact on what each of us considers "the west" and it is likely that many of us would really like a single action that was shipped "out west", whatever that means.

Even though I live in NM, probably my favorite state for Colt shipping would be Texas (I say this based on some study of Texas history, and "the movies").

My favorite city/town/village for Colt shipping would possibly be Lincoln, NM, if they had a store there that received shipments from Colt. The two factions involved in the Lincoln County war had pretty good sized mercantile stores there and I would guess they received Colts, but I am not personally familiar with having heard of a Colt being shipped to Lincoln.

Other favorites would include single actions shipped to El Paso, or Tucson, or Tombstone if any were ever shipped there. I have seen Colts that lettered to Bizbee AZ which is very close to Tombstone.

I realize that folks favorites will probably include locations near where they live, as do my choices, and for me, any Colt shipped "out west" will have great appeal.

I would like to hear some of your top locations for a fantasy letter from Colt (or a real letter you may have).

Member #
    Liked
    2130 times
    I envy and am happy for folks who have their grandfathers or great grandfathers firearm/s.
    A Colt would be the ultimate , and yeah SAA the pinnacle .

My great grandfather came to America in the 1860’s from Norway , settling in Minnesota.
    He was a jeweler and also performed watch repair . ( Have pic of business card )

So the Ultimate letter would be a Colt he ordered , or one to his shop if he had one .
    My grandparents were wisely frugal having been raised in the Depression-
    But I would think my GG would have the means and appreciation for a Colt .

Letter destination wise - a 1873 or 1877 shipped to Minnesota, pre 1900 to Erskine or somewhere local to .

My grandfather was a simple man , an outdoorsman and sportsman with a degree in Aeronautical Engineering.
    He had a Remmy .308 , Winnie 101 and a Belgium Browning smoothboores.
    He was not a handgun guy , but I learned on his Ruger .22s - SA and SA.

Little off topic there & here...but I was fortunate enough to receive his 101 ( shoulda picked the Belgium - had 1st pic )
    I also have his pocket watch, which is turn of century and I like to believe was his fathers .
    My gramps father died when he was a pre- teen , so he was the man of the house during the Depression.

Hugely high on My ultimate letters would be a lettered gun to Caldwell Colt .
    Only because I know said letter exists- thread content on C Forum within last couple weeks.
    Cant think of anyone else I’d like to more have a letter and Colt for.

Bat Masterson famous nickel .45 letter and six shooter would be right up there , but second to Caldwell’s.

As far as a top destination... after Minnesota connection would be Deadwood - if one did exist .

I have between nine and twelve lettered Colts , a few are quite rare .
    A revolver and pistol are commissioned to me .
    I hope in a couple generations my descendants will appreciate
    and treasure my Colts as much as I do ..... gonna be tough !

My son Colt , just said couple weeks ago he couldn’t nor
    wouldn’t ever get rid of them ....... he won’t need to though 🤠

Lastly regarding letters - I purchased a letter for my grandfathers cousin about fifteen or twenty years ago .
    He was an Lt. Col. in the Korean War . He was strapped with a factory engraved nickel .45 SAA.
    i received pictures and history on this quite rare revolver - which did letter as factory engraved nickel 4 3/4.
    I as a huge Colt fan strongly felt this firearm deserved a factory letter .

I have tried numerous times to match the two of them together , most recently couple months ago .
    Hopefully some day , the gun and letter will be united .
    Gramps and Lt.Col. Christian are both now dead ....... But The COLT LEGEND will ALWAYS LIVE !!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Blowfo356, Kerz, Joe A. and 7 others like this.
    COLT TO THE CORE

Member #
    Liked
    1786 times
    My hometown of El Paso, Texas is my golden nugget SAA I would like to have.
    everetto, ei8ht and mentallapse like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9685 times
    One to my little KS town. Only maybe 50 population now, but larger 100 years ago w/ general store etc....I now own the old opera house/cafe/saloon/barber shop. It'll never happen but I can dream. I passed up a rough early 1900's 38-40 SA a year or so ago shipped to Salina which is about an hour away. Should have bought it in hindsight, but i didn't like the condition or caliber. I do have a couple of KS shipped 1st gens though and I'll buy more if they come up. Oh, and I've seen a Deadwood shipped SAA so they do exist.
    Last edited by Chaffee; 11-01-2019 at 05:23 PM.
    'This is King Fisher's Road--Take the other one'

Member #
    Liked
    1952 times
    I have two lettered SAA's that are a little special. A 1920 SAA that was shipped to the Browning Brother Store in Ogden Utah, John Browning was still alive then.
    The other was a 1890 shipped to Paris TX, with in SN range of a bunch of SAA's used in the Johnson County Wars.
    The last one is a 44 Special shipped in 1964 to a Hardware store in Michigans UP, not far from where I use to hunt.
    Last edited by jbmi; 11-01-2019 at 06:08 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    519 times
    A Colt Model 1851 Navy, shipped in 1861 to Richmond, Virginia for General Robert E. Lee.
    everetto, ei8ht, Prowbar and 2 others like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1833 times
    Nothing too noteworthy but I do have a nice SAA that shipped to St. Paul MN in 1931. Another one I get a kick out of is a 2nd Generation New Frontier that shipped to K-Mart Corporation in Nashville TN.
    everetto, ei8ht and mentallapse like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Over thirty five years ago I private purchased a 1962 Colt Gold Cup National Match (my avatar) from a local who happened to live close by. Several years later I decided to get a Colt letter. Upon opening the letter when it arrived, I damn near fell out of my chair. It was shipped on my birthday in 1962 (I was born in 1956) to a well known and popular local gun shop/museum called the Stagecoach. I had always wanted to visit that place as a kid but never had the opportunity. So that is my Colt letter story.
    Last edited by Goldcup62; 11-02-2019 at 09:43 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    16378 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustango View Post
    A Colt Model 1851 Navy, shipped in 1861 to Richmond, Virginia for General Robert E. Lee.
    I don't think any 1851 Navy Colts were shipped to Richmond in 1861. But here's an 1860 Army #1818 that is one of the famous Richmond shipment, the last shipment to the South. The letter states a 7-1/2" barrel but these early 1860 Colts actually preceded the government contract and had 8" barrels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NRA Endowment Life Member
    CCA Member

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1036 times
    For me, I'd most like an old SAA shipped to Alaska. I figure any late 1800's guns likely went to San Fran or the like, were sold and then taken up. By the early 1900's though, there were various distributors set up in Alaska and it would be the absolute coolest to have an oldie that originally made its way up here on purpose for sale. The closest I've found yet, was a second gen shipped to Fairbanks that had been recalibered.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links