Got a Winchester 69A .22
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Got a Winchester 69A .22

Member #
    Liked
    2725 times
    A Winchester 69A was the first firearm I ever bought. I saved up money from odd jobs and bought a new one at a local sporting goods store in downtown Cincinnati. That was about 1957 or '58. I shot the heck out of that old rifle and dragged it everywhere with me. I still have it and it now wears a Leupold scope. The stock has been repaired/refinished a couple times and the blue touched up here and there but I still love it.

- - - Buckspen
    guy sajer, krag96 and Chaffee like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1979 times
    OGNZvXj.jpg

My 69A, an early target model with aperture sight, no dovetail or holes for rear sight on the barrel. It's a nice small game getter.

Member #
    Liked
    4265 times
    With 22 rifles the only one I had for years was a Ruger 10-22. I had a couple of Remington Model 12 pump actions too.
    But I'm left handed and always wanted a left hand 22. Had a T-Bolt with one magazine and it was okay.

One day while in Gander Mountain I spot a nice new Savage LH hand 22, bought it and a Bushnell scope. This is one nice rifle, very accurate and had the accu-trigger. Well my left eye went bad, which really s-word, so I decided to get a vintage 22 bolt gun, being left hand I could do most things right as it is a right handed world.

Local gun shop had a Winchester 69 that had a vintage Lyman scope on it mounted to the side of the receiver with a Mossberg mount. Nice little 22 but after consulting my Winchester book, the big one by Madis, I decided I wanted an improvement and got a 69A. My brother has a Model 72 with factory receiver sight, nothing more then a tube fed version of the 69A.

Model 69 & 69A.jpg
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1979 times
    Hey azshot, I see yours is stamped .22 S,L,or LR. Mine is stamped, .22 LRifle with no mention of short or longs. It feeds and shoots .22 Shorts marvelously, (CCI Target Shorts-around 820fps, about the same noise level as a pellet rifle-my head shot squirrel gun and ammo). Anyone know if the Target version was intended for Long Rifle ammo only so as not to get a carbon ring in the chamber?

Member #
    Liked
    6455 times
    Hi Krag, I do believe that is correct, .22 LR only is the Target model, which should have:
    93A blade front sight
    Winchester 80A rear peep sight
    Heavier stock with 1 1/4" drop at heel, with clearance cut for 80A
    Two 1 1/4" sling swivels
    Barrel Roll Mark: "22 L. Rifle"
    Six land and groove barrel
    No rear barrel sight dovetail
    Barrel Proof Mark in standard location, unless factory drilled for scope, thin offset
    Last edited by azshot; 11-04-2019 at 11:37 AM.
    jeepnut711 and krag96 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1979 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azshot View Post
    Hi Krag, I do believe that is correct, .22 LR only is the Target model, which should have:
    93A blade front sight
    Winchester 80A rear peep sight
    Heavier stock with 1 1/4" drop at heel, with clearance cut for 80A
    Two 1 1/4" sling swivels
    Barrel Roll Mark: "22 L. Rifle"
    Six land and groove barrel
    No rear barrel sight dovetail
    Barrel Proof Mark in standard location, unless factory drilled for scope, thin offset
    Yes, it has all those features. I had a nice 69A standard sporter like yours in hand some years ago, bought it for my brother who couldn't meet the seller who was in my area. He wanted it and went on my assessment as to buy or not. I bought it and hoped he wouldn't want it, but...he did, (Drat-drat-and double drat!). I didn't notice at the time, his probably has S-L-L Rifle as yours does. I just happened into the target version at a sale and bought it because it feels like a real rifle rather than a scaled down kids gun. They're nice .22 rifles.

Member #
    Liked
    6455 times
    You inspired me to go shoot my other one last evening. It's a rougher shape one I got at a show this summer, and put an old Noske scope on. I shot most of a box of .22s at some shotgun shells I stood up, and some larger targets. They are good full sized rifles.
    krag96 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2182 times
    Very nice. For some reason the chrome accents on the late vintage ones appeal to me.

A Winchester Model 69A Target lives here. Dates from before chrome and before receivers were grooved.

krag96, azshot, guy sajer and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1693 times
    Here is one of mine, factory scoped dual sight. The offset proofs prove it is an original factory scoped rifle.

Member #
    Liked
    2182 times
    Yummy!

The 69A is good enough to have deserved glass.

Wonder how the Winchester 69A compares with some of the current CZ .22 offerings in actual use? I've not used the CZs or some of the basic Anschutz .22 models, but the 69A comes off looking pretty good in cursory comparisons.
    krag96 likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links