Got a Winchester 69A .22
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Got a Winchester 69A .22

Member #
    Liked
    6524 times
    Very nice pre-A 69 you have and it's scope. I'm looking at scopes now for mine, want something circa 1959-65.

Compared to my model 52 and my CZ452, the 69 and related mid-range .22 rifles are very accurate, but the heavier guns are a touch better offhand. They did make both a Target and a Match 69A but I don't have one. You can adjust the trigger of most 69As down to 3-4 lbs, which is nice for a "basic" .22 rifle. Their barrel quality is very good, and the stock fits a 6' 1" man well.

The CZ action seems a little more refined and polished, and has a more classic safety. It's trigger has some creep, many people upgrade their triggers.

The Model 52 has a much heavier action, barrel, and locking. It's speedlock is quite fast. It's trigger can be outstanding.
    Chaffee, krag96 and bmcgilvray like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9510 times
    I have a 69A and maybe another. A nice little rifle. At one time I started to collect target 22's and have a 52, 75, Rem 513T, Mossbergs of various stripes, H&R leatherneck, etc. I love my old 52 (I think it's too early to be a 'B', think it's a target), the 75 doesn't allow me to 'get down' far enough to comfortably use the peep, the 513 is another nice rifle. I used the old Winchester 22T shells with good results.

azshot: how did you determine the vintage of your 69A? Mine doesn't have the grooved receiver. I know they changed the bolt from cock on closing to cock on opening sometime.....
    Last edited by Chaffee; 11-08-2019 at 03:12 PM.
    krag96 and bmcgilvray like this.
    'This is King Fisher's Road--Take the other one'

Member #
    Liked
    6524 times
    They weren't serial numbered, so it's hard to be exact on dates. The 69 had the safety at the back of the bolt that you turned. It was cock on closing. The 69A moved it to the right side next to the receiver, and was cock on opening. I'd have to check but that was around 1940 I think. Then the grooves for scopes came in the late 1950s. By 1963 they were cancelled. Check Rimfirecentral dot come for closer dates.

Here is my aprox 1936 Mod 69. Note the back of the bolt, and the exposed takedown screw. Later they went to an inset takedown screw. This one is very early, and has other early features.

Last edited by azshot; 11-10-2019 at 07:16 AM.
    22_Matt, krag96 and guy sajer like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    6524 times
    I couldn't stand it anymore, and took the 69A out to shoot this afternoon. At first I was thinking it was too nice to shoot, but then I realized they made 69As by the thousands, and it's not like an expensive Kimber or Cooper .22 or anything - and people buy those and shoot them.

I got this baby Redfield scope to try out on it. A little later vintage, but close, and it looks good on the rifle. I hate the giant, matt finished current scopes people put on rimfires. They remind me of the first night vision scopes put on M-1 Carbines in Vietnam. The scope was bigger than the rifle.
    This little one is only a 4x, but did pretty good at 50 yards once I got it zeroed.

Zeroing was kind of like using a paddle to steer a canoe. It was hitting way low and slightly right. There are no click detents, and the tiny lines on the knobs were too hard to see without a loupe, so I just cranked it. Woah....too far up and left. Go the other way about half way....whoah...too far back. Little less, getting there....gettting there.... Shot about half a box to get it this close. I usually can sight in a click scope in about 5-9 rounds!

This is 10 rounds, so some are in the same hole, some moving right. Must have been some crosswind I didn't notice.

Last edited by azshot; 12-01-2019 at 07:07 PM.
    krag96 likes this.

Wyo

Member #
    Liked
    113 times
    Nice rifle! I have lots of .22’s but the vintage pieces are my favorites. First rifle I ever used was an old Remington 510 single shot that my Dad had. Took many a rabbit with that ol’ gun and I still have it today. Also have a Marlin 39A and a Mountie and those are very nice. My favorites, though, are a 1932 Winchester 52 with a Lyman Super Targetspot 15x scope - too big and heavy to use anywhere but on a bench but a great shooter - and a Winchester 75 Sporter that I use for small game. Hate to use the cliche’ but they really don’t make ‘em like that any more. Congrats on finding a fine example of a great old rifle.
    azshot likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2035 times
    Yeah, that's about the way they shoot. I should get some target ammo for mine, it came with a carton of PMC Side-Winders which shot so well in it I bought two cases of the stuff when it was cheap.
    azshot likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links