Got a Winchester 69A .22
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Got a Winchester 69A .22

Member #
    Liked
    6484 times

Got a Winchester 69A .22

I couldn't pass this up today at a gun show. Very clean circa 1959 Winchester 69A with grooved receiver, barely looks fired. I passed up a 2nd Gen SAA, and a new production SAA still with the Colt grease to get this one. Had to pick just one, and saved some money.

Member #
    Liked
    308 times
    Very nice old Winchester to take home. Really like how accurate those old 22s are. Enjoy it.
    azshot and krag96 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    6484 times
    They are pretty nice sleepers, everyone is chasing the Win pumps right now, or the bigger Model 52s. I have several of these 69 and 69A models, and they're quite accurate. The last years were grooved for scopes, before that you had to drill them, which I'd never do.
    jeepnut711 and krag96 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    462 times
    Nice find. I have a couple 69's and a 69 Target (.22 LR only) and in my opinion they are some of the best shooting .22's I own, and I own way too many. As AZshot notes I think they are sleepers as well, given the accuracy and quality I am surprised at how reasonably they can be found.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22820 times
    Great Winchester .22!!
    jeepnut711, azshot and krag96 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    308 times
    They are sleepers I agree and have several target ones and military trainers. They are very accurate and have lots of history and character.

Member #
    Liked
    4271 times
    I have one and really like it.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7319 times
    Good score !
    I grew up shooting a 69A with peep sight and a Rem 514 . These old 22 rifles are not a ton of money and great fun at the range .
    Enjoy
    Condition Yellow

Please support Crimson Trace Grips , Mossberg and Beretta . They support our troops .

Member #
    Liked
    4271 times
    Quote Originally Posted by guy sajer View Post
    Good score !
    I grew up shooting a 69A with peep sight and a Rem 514 . These old 22 rifles are not a ton of money and great fun at the range .
    Enjoy
    I put a vintage Redfield receiver sight on mine.
    I also have a Winchester M 77 Semi-Auto .22 that makes a 10-22 (which I like) feel like a brick.. This one has a vintage 22 scope on it.
    guy sajer and krag96 like this.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"

Member #
    Liked
    6484 times
    I agree the .22s of the mid 20th century are great. My journey for quality .22 bolt guns started 20 years ago. When I was young, I mostly shot .22 pistols (Colt Frontier Scout) and .22 pumps and semi-autos.

Then in my 40s I thought I wanted a very accurate bolt gun. Though I always used open sights, I thought I should try at least one scope. Everyone was buying CZ 452 rifles, so I got one too. Dealer price was about $280 if I recall. Got the giant Mueller scope everyone was hawking (cheap - chinese) but I never liked, too big. The CZ's accuracy knocked my socks off. But it wasn't American. Should I get a high end Kimber or Cooper? Nah...too much money, and I liked vintage too much to buy clones. The cheap scope, while good optically, pissed me off. I decided to just look for original .22s and scopes by American companies.

Finally about 10 years ago I got a Winchester 52 with an Unertl scope. Wow! I could see the bullets flying out to the target, and getting groups all in one jagged hole. Love that rifle. Shot it in several matches. But what a tank, it must weigh 11 lbs!

Then at a gun show in AZ I met John Marshall, author or 101 Classic Firearms. We were both looking at a pre-war Winchester 69. I was at the table first and bought it, he was nice enough to tell me it was a good one and that he was going to buy it if I didn't. I bought his book, and later found in the Forward that the 69 was the first gun he bought, as a boy, and one he always loved.

I like that old 69, but thought I'd keep an eye out for the 69A with the faster lock. Then thought I'd like a grooved receiver to put a vintage scope on. Now, I guess I'm a collector! Also like early Mossberg bolt guns, they are quite accurate too. I'd shoot any of these in a match against a modern .22 bolt gun.

Here is an earlier grooved 69A I have, with a 1930s Noske scope on it with a power booster.

Last edited by azshot; 11-03-2019 at 06:46 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links