• 4 Post By saintclair
  • 2 Post By Rick Bowles
  • 1 Post By Walter Rego

Thread: any Flippers here?

Member #
    Liked
    101 times

any Flippers here?

anyone else flip stuff to make a few dollars on side? I used to hit the swap meet every Friday on the way home from work, but the yard sales Saturday mornings, buy whatever seemed priced low, throw it on craigslist or if gun related backpage (been awhile) and make some extra money on the weekends. lately I've broke the number 1 rule on flipping stuff. I picked up a few rifles and pistols that I've gotten attached to and dont want to sell.
    These aren't rare or collectable by any means, just cool old guns bought cheap enough to make a few bucks on. So for now they sit in the collection. I've got the same problem with my latest project car. I didnt plan on keeping it, but the more I do to it, the more it's been growing on me. jim
    Cozmo and WVCOLT like this.

Member #
    Liked
    12575 times
    Yes. I make bi monthly trips to a couple gun shops just to dig through there dusty boxes of holsters and grips. I found Berns-Martin, Heisers, Myres, and many other famous brands for $5-$25 reselling them for at the highest $275. My wife spotted a late S.D. Myres 6" Python holster at the flea market for real cheap that I sold and took her out to dinner. I also look for grips. $3 K frame Fuzzy Farrants that I resold. And lots of other Colt and S&W grips. But it seems to have dried up lately. I bought holsters on Ebay and resold them, too. Sometimes they don't sell, or as quick as I wanted them, too, though and I just break even. I'm still sitting on one holster rig now that I misjudged.
    Last edited by Wyatt Burp; 11-03-2019 at 07:00 AM.
    WVCOLT likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    802 times
    It's fun to do but I'm not in a good location to do so. There just isn't a lot up here in the way of "surplus" and when he occasionally estate liquidates with anything good, it goes for top dollar. I have stumbled into a few guns over the years that were no brainers. Buy them cheap, decide I don't really need them and sell them for more what they were actually worth.

Whenever I travel, I make it a point to hit the little shops and dig through the bins...I've gotten a few pieces here and there but I end up not flipping them..instead I use them. One day, everyone else can have their go at them I suppose.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3306 times
    I used to do that but after a few years I found it to be pretty tiresome so I quit.
    Real cowboys don't line dance, a Buckaroo won't even watch.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22987 times
    In the days before the Gun Control Act of 1968, one could find guns in hardware stores; in roadside restaurants; in antique shops; etc. In 1967, I recall buying a quite rare early German P-38 with a rectangular firing pin and a hidden extractor in a general store near the Peaks of Otter (Blue Ridge Parkway) for $75. Nowadays, that is illegal for such unlicensed sales to be done and with the advent of the internet, every general store, antique shop, and even people cleaning out their attics can look up the value of anything they find by "Googling It." The good ole days are gone forever.

Member #
    Liked
    15650 times
    My late friend Mike and I would spend Saturdays hitting the antique stores and pawn shops. In almost every shop I could find items marked as ivory that were not, usually bone or celluloid. And I could find genuine ivory pieces that were marked wrong and dirt cheap!
    saintclair and ei8ht like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NRA Endowment Life Member
    CCA Member

Member #
    Liked
    2200 times
    Considering that attending gunshows here in CA cost about $25 in parking and admission and often entail a 200 mile round trip, I make it a point to have my side sweeping gunshow radar tuned for targets of opportunity that I can buy and resell. Things like a nice pair of Ruger Blackhawk stocks with the black eagles for $7.50, or three nice Lawrence holsters for $45 or about a dozen sealed S&W cleaning kits with the SAT's for $10 each, those kinds of small items. If I can make a couple hundred dollars of profit a year reselling those items on ebay it helps cover the cost of attending those shows where I didn't find anything I really wanted. Those boxes under the tables full of old holsters and stocks often contain a prize.
    ei8ht likes this.

Sponsored Links