Avoid dealing with Gunbroker user (name removed)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Avoid dealing with Gunbroker user (name removed)

Member #
    Liked
    257 times

Avoid dealing with Gunbroker user (name removed)

A warning to all. Avoid buying from Gunbroker user named "Soupbones" or his dealer xxxx , both of whom are in Ft. Bragg, California. I purchased an 1877 which was made in 1882 and so classed as an antique. He would only let his dealer, xxxx , ship it to me only after I provided my FFL license. I explained to both of them an FFL was not necessary because it is an antique but they refused to ship without it. So OK, I sent them my FFL license. In the Gunbroker listing the seller offered 2 or 3 day shipping at checkout. I opted for 3 day shipping. I am then told that his dealer will only ship it 2 day priority via FedEx at a cost of $62.00? So the seller lied about shipping options but cannot explain why. I called the dealer to find out why he would not ship via the Post Office since we are Both FFL dealers and he can legally ship to me that way for about $20. He refused, said the California DOJ told him that he can't ship via the Post Office. I explained to him that I called Calofornia DOJ and they told me there are no restrictions from FFL dealer to FFL dealer. He then got nasty on the phone, told me "Maybe you should not buy the gun" and then hung up on me.

I then questioned the seller as to why he put a false shipping option in the auction and why his dealer is overcharging me for shipping. I sent the seller and the dealer the web pages from ATF, Post Office and Gunbroker which all state that a handgun can be shipped via the U.S. Mail between FFL dealers but they still both refused to do so. The seller also became nasty and told me in an e-mail to leave him the "F___" alone. Totally uncalled for abuse by the seller and dealer and I will be filing a complaint with Gunbroker. It's not so much the overcharge of $42 for shipping that bothers me as much as the fact that they both are ignorant belligerent individuals who will not listen to facts and then get abusive when they can't back up their position. AVOID THESE TWO AT ALL COSTS! THEY WILL RIP YOU OFF ON SHIPPING AND GET NASTY WHEN YOU ASK WHY THEY ARE DOING SO!
    Last edited by guy sajer; 11-04-2019 at 09:16 AM. Reason: ffl name removed

The Consummate Collector

Member #
    Liked
    18079 times
    Sorry for your bad experience. I left Gunbroker over two years ago and now use Gunsinternational as my online source. Unless you know the dealer or seller that you are dealing with you need to be careful. I got scammed several years ago on Gunbroker and they would not help. In fact you can't even call Gunbroker and talk to someone to get help. Good luck on going forward.

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    I'm sorry you had a bad experience with a California-based FFL.

I work part time at a California FFL and we ship firearms from the Post Office on a regular basis. It is perfectly legal.

In their defense, we do have a lot of overbearing jackboot thug DOJ agents that think they can make up laws as they go. His representative could very well have told him that. Unfortunately in California we have to err on the side of caution because of the constant 2A battle we are fighting with the state.

* Side note - It always frustrates me when sellers won't ship (legal firearms) to California. They think they are making a stand, when what they are really doing is letting California win...
    "There is nothing permanent except change." - Heraclitus

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3376 times
    Seems like a lot of dealers from all over the country are running scared of the ATF and are booking every thing whether 1898 or before or not. I've had to go through my local ffl dealer on several true antique colts during the past 5 years.
    Rick likes this.
    Always interested in adding nice, original or interesting pre 1940 single actions to my private collection. Contact me via PM.

Member #
    Liked
    203 times
    Quote Originally Posted by thecoltguy View Post
    I left Gunbroker over two years ago and now use Gunsinternational as my online source.
    Amen brother!!

Member #
    Liked
    194 times
    Gunbroker was invented by PT Barnum.

You can't blame anyone who deals in guns for being over cautious when selling or shipping a firearm.
    If you don't agree to the seller's conditions, then maybe you shouldn't buy the gun.
    Last edited by shooter214; 11-05-2019 at 03:46 AM.
    MarkInTx likes this.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7385 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter214 View Post
    You can't blame anyone who deals in guns for being over cautious when selling or shipping a firearm.
    If you don't agree to the seller's conditions, then maybe you shouldn't buy the gun.
    As long as the seller states all their policies and conditions up front in the ad , totally agree .
    Condition Yellow

Please support Crimson Trace Grips , Mossberg and Beretta . They support our troops .

Member #
    Liked
    257 times
    Problem is seller offered 2 or 3 day shipping in his ad. I selected 3 day. He then says his dealer will only ship 2 day which is more expensive. So I had no knowledge before buying that 2 day would be my only choice. Also, once you commit to buy you cannot retract the offer.

Being over cautious is fine, but being ignorant, belligerent and using foul language in an e-mail is not. Especially after all ATF and Post Office web pages outlining the rules about shipping handguns between FFL dealers were sent to them. For an FFL dealer to treat another FFL dealer this way is wrong and all should know about it. Too bad Colt Forum felt the need to edit out the offending dealers name. Now others who may deal with him will get burned as well!
    Dodge1942 and Mustango like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    751 times
    I understand your frustration but I think saying they were trying to rip you off is not true. If he was trying to rip you off, it’d be done, have your money-no gun. He been like heck I’ll personally drive it to you if needed, or I’ll throw in this old 1876 SAA grandpa gave me for your troubles. I think you were correct in the ignorant part. You need to understand his side, seems to me he is having terror instilled in him by tyrannical people. If I was him, I’d cover my butt everyday possible too in these circumstances. However if my ad reflected as you stated, I would have just ate the $42 myself and avoided all this headache. I understand your wanting to vent and sorry for your frustration Brother. By the way $42 in CA=half tank of gas (if not a large vehicle).
    Last edited by big_gus; 11-05-2019 at 08:24 AM.
    Cozmo likes this.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit such crimes... such laws make things worse for the assualted and better for the assailants: they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man" Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    I agree completely with Big Gus. A decent business would have just eaten the $42.

In my above post, I was defending the FFL's decision to ship 2 day, not the way the FFL handled it.

I agree with the OP that the way it was handled was pretty low and the shop should make it good for you. The owner of the shop where I work would have apologized and sucked up the additional cost...and then he would have chewed me out (I'm in charge of our online sales haha).
    "There is nothing permanent except change." - Heraclitus

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links