Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Insurance when Shipping

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    710 times

Insurance when Shipping

Insurance rates are usually based on loss rates. Insurance rates for packages sent USPS, UPS or Fed Ex are high enough to suggest alot of damage or loss is happening in transport. Does anyone know is this the case or are we just being gouged for insurance on packages.

Are there alternative ways to insure a package that are less expensive?
    victorio1sw likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    15578 times
    Shipping insurance is a topic that resurfaces from time to time, since there are so many guns being shipped now due to internet gun purchases.

I hear not too much good stuff about shipping insurance being worthwhile when items get damaged or missing. Collecting sounds tough and arduous and unsuccessful. I’d like to hear that some good insurance stories if someone did come out to the good from shipping issues.
    Unlucky Ned likes this.
    🔫 WWYS

Member #
    Liked
    148 times
    I suspect that we are being gouged. In addition to that, I stopped getting insurance on most packages when I saw reports on other web pages that shippers almost never pay unless you can prove that the packaging met the shipper's standards, and you usually cannot prove that unless you paid the shipper to do the packaging.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1036 times
    I have a policy covering my firearms with Eastern Insurance. VERY reasonable premium and a bonus is that loss/damage during shipping is an insured risk so I don’t pay those high shipping insurance costs.

Member #
    Liked
    15430 times
    FedEx and UPS don't offer insurance.... ask them. They ask for and you pay for a "declared value". If something happens THEY have the option of repairing, replacing or offering you a settlement. Try explaining that a 100 year old gun is worth $10,000,00!
    jeepnut711 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NRA Endowment Life Member
    CCA Member

Member #
    Liked
    453 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bowles View Post
    FedEx and UPS don't offer insurance.... ask them. They ask for and you pay for a "declared value". If something happens THEY have the option of repairing, replacing or offering you a settlement. Try explaining that a 100 year old gun is worth $10,000,00!
    AND only if they declare it's their fault It was damaged. I had a rifle broke in half, UPS said no pay Not my fault!
    tdennis
    Last edited by tdennis; 11-05-2019 at 04:01 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    6433 times
    I guess I got lucky with UPS insurance. I bought a rifle from a nice member here. He took it to his FFL to ship it. That guy put it in a flimsy box and when my FFL called to come pick it up, it was bad news. The box and a major crease in the side. when we pulled out the rifle, the stock was cracked at the wrist. I was worried but that FFL said not to. He said "they usually make it right", and he's a gun dealer in his 70s. I did the report, the phone interview, and the delays. But eventually got a check for more than enough to get a new stock and get it all fitted and fixed. I will always insure from now on. At the time I was wondering if I should, but glad I did.
    victorio1sw likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    714 times
    Iíve wondered about this, Iíve spent probably 1k recently on insurance selling off part of my collection. None lost so far, think thatís the real issue with insurance. Had one small issue only so far, buyer said they didnít pack right (my FFL). Hammer came through side of box, small hole but was an old Colt box numbered to gun. My FFL said they packed it right, thought I was taken, should have had it returned. Buyer was more than gracious to accept a hundred (his request), so I just ate the hundred and moved on. To be fair, if I was on buyers end and happened as stated, Iíd probably want 200-300 back. Iím an original box man tho too. What hurt was I paid like $40..??? Insurance and couldnít use it. Buyer said not USPS fault and seemed resistant to me even pursuing it. Not complaining, so far, only eating a hundred and no other issues is a blessing. Also I think since that instance, they taking extra care packing my items.
    Last edited by big_gus; 11-05-2019 at 04:08 PM.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit such crimes... such laws make things worse for the assualted and better for the assailants: they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man" Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    128 times
    Many dealers self insure-collect the insurance and just eat any damage themselves.
    I add at least 500 insurance on handguns(value up to 2500) with USPS,if the customer wants more and pays I will add more.Any gun over $2500 I go with registered-very slow. My long guns go FedEx and I double bubble wrap and double box and end up paying at bit more then the buyer pays me but so far its worth it.
    I know of dealers that have had USPS pay and one that FedEx pay did for damage but its still gouging and hard to collect.

Best "insurance" is to pack well,then over pack again,never put "Gun" or "Sport" or anything that looks like it might be a gun in the package on the address label to the gun dealer your shipping to and hope for the best !

Member #
    Liked
    352 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bowles View Post
    I've been down that route with FedEx. Package was delivered requiring signature. I wasn't home so driver left on door step. Package stolen. After a little back an forth with FedEx I said show me who signed for it. Driver signed (electronic signature) "no one home". Package was valuable Leica film camera (no longer made), then we argued about value vs "declared value" vs "insured" valued (the amount you think your insuring for).

Wife mailed USPS priority package automatically insured for $50.00 (worth about $75.00) July 23th 2019. Still trying to collect.

Best advice for very high dollar items is overnight shipment. Expensive but not really anymore expensive than so called insurance.
    Rick Bowles likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links