Long gun collector - what are your thoughts
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Long gun collector - what are your thoughts

Member #
    Liked
    91 times

Long gun collector - what are your thoughts

What are your thoughts on a Winchester Model 12, 28 gauge , build date 1953. The condition is outstanding, beautiful gun -- but I haven't been into shotguns for many years. When I was younger, there was a trap shoot every weekend, birds were plentiful, everyone had a passion for hunting. Are there still long gun enthusiast still excited about this particular model?

Member #
    Liked
    307 times
    I got a Model 12 12GA made in 1951 (Birthday gun) and I really like it at skeet. It will Slam Fire (hold trigger and just keep pumping and firing. I like them.
    1stcav likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    694 times
    The gun itself is most likely exquisite. Are you going to be able to keep it fed with 28 gauge ammo? I just checked my online retailer (TargetSportsUSA) and they only have one option in stock.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    9184 times
    Without digging into it, it`s gotta be rare in 28 gauge. Try research on Gun Broker and elsewhere. Sounds like it should go for plenty.
    ersiii, Rick Bowles and MarkInTx like this.

Member #
    Liked
    189 times
    I think we might all get more excited about a picture of it...
    jeepnut711 and MarkInTx like this.

Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    Nice shotgun. I don't know what they want for it but Model 12 in 28 Gauge. I've never seen one but I'd own it.

fltsfshr
    '

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7314 times
    Not addressing the op's gun one way or the other .

Just a heads up , anyone looking at one in 28 ga should proceed with caution . Forgeries are out there .

As for ammo , 28 ga isn't hard to find .
    krag96, MrRush and 1stcav like this.
    Condition Yellow

Please support Crimson Trace Grips , Mossberg and Beretta . They support our troops .

Member #
    Liked
    1771 times
    A shooting buddy collects (hoards?) things like that. I sent him an email but he responds to messages about as often as politicians turn down money.
    "Cowards never lasted long enough to become real
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ." --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life Member: NRA, TSRA, NMSSA
    Action Pistol Director-TSRA

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    I never collected model 12s, HOWEVER I know some Die Hard Winchester guys and BEWARE of 28 gauge model 12s. They say there are more fakes than real ones out there. IF my memory serves me correctly, many used the 20 gauge to fake them with. Model 12 28 gauge IS the 3 inch python of the model 12 line. How to tell fakes, how to verify (other than factory letters), I don’t know of the 12s. I just felt compelled to tell you to beware.
    skwcoltguy, 1stcav and colrhino like this.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit such crimes... such laws make things worse for the assualted and better for the assailants: they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man" Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    6451 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stcav View Post
    What are your thoughts on a Winchester Model 12, 28 gauge , build date 1953. The condition is outstanding, beautiful gun -- but I haven't been into shotguns for many years. When I was younger, there was a trap shoot every weekend, birds were plentiful, everyone had a passion for hunting. Are there still long gun enthusiast still excited about this particular model?
    I think shotguns, in vintage years, and obsolescent calibers, are a niche, within a niche, within a niche. (Gun collectors, shotguns, uncommon gauge). If YOU want one, get it. But it will be hard to find others that want one, if you pay high, and want to sell higher.

I also like some pretty obscure stuff. So I can get it cheaply. But if I pay a lot for a rare item, I know it will be a lot of work trying to sell it one day. You can sell a good 1950s Python in 5 minutes. A 1880s Wurfflein schuetzen rifle with hooked buttplate, perch belly stock, and exotic tang sight sells for more...when you can find a buyer. That may take a year or more.
    1stcav likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links