USFA Rodeo Antique Finish
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: USFA Rodeo Antique Finish

Member #
    Liked
    15487 times
    Rodeos are really fun guns to play with.

This is Dave's 7.5" factory Gunslinger version.

One of the reasons I really like this gun is the effort USFA took to show the difference in finish wear between the case colored frame and the rest of a blued gun. Many, many high condition 1st Gen guns with little or no finish left but no pitting look like this. Having a couple of them that have been in the family for 100+ years makes me think these guns were well worn from cleaning as much as any thing else.

I think if you look at the finish condition of old Colts, you first see the case colors disappear, then the blueing is gone, then they start looking like a two tone gun, much like Dave's Rodeo above, and then finally a gun with a similar grey patina on both frame and parts. I typically see some pitting on the grey guns.

I tried to mimic the two tone finish, I think came from cleaning, on one of my Rodeos. Dave's 7.5 was likely the model for this one.

And an original little finish and no pitting Bisley I used as a model for one of my first Rodeo refinishes. I eventually went back and redid this one.

Last edited by Cozmo; 11-10-2019 at 08:21 AM.
    22_Matt, Kid Sopris and joehaber like this.

Member #
    Liked
    608 times
    That black powder frame 7 1/2” Gunslinger is cool as heck. I’d love to find a 7 1/2” Rodeo to use as a platform for antiquing one of these days. The Custer’s I’ve seen pop up lately have sold for way more than I’d be willing to spend. Coz, did you cold blue that Rodeo in the 2nd pic?? That is a really sharp look.
    Cozmo likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    15487 times
    Thanks, it isn't cold blue. Combo of hand buffing and rust blue.

Both hard ones to find, Gunslingers and Rodeos in 7.5". BP frame in either version harder yet I suspect.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    16224 times
    Just FYI to those new to USFA guns or those who may come along in the future..
    Iíve seen a good handful of antiqued Rodeo models over the years being sold on the internet as The Gunslinger model.
    Rodeoís have a letter prefixed serials (A, B , D, etc. ) and the Gunslinger model has a five digit serial that normally begins with the number 5, unless it has a custom serial. There are some out there. The serial will be in three places like 1st gen Colts, and Rodeos just bottom of mainframe.
    The good news is that the Rodeo and Gunslinger are equal in build quality .. which is what makes the Rodeo such a bargain for a quality shooter. However, USFA sold the Rodeo for $650 and the Gunslinger for about $1300 . USFA had some pretty good touches.. grip wear, pitting, etc. based on the the natural wear that Iíve seen on 1st gens, Itís pretty accurate. I also think the case coloring fades disappears and parts bluing wears at different rates , giving a two tone look between frame and the cylinder and barrel.

The USFA John Wayne Red River model was another model that USFA did as a factory antiqued feature. USFA did them very specific since they werenít a custom order, but a limited run. I seem to remember that they did not build as many as originally planned, which is another reason so few are seen for sale. The Red River model is more of a handling / holster wear look.. instead of a late 1880ís Colt. itís more dark than gray and no pitting or rust.
    Last edited by what would you say; 11-12-2019 at 06:20 AM.
    🔫 WWYS

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    16224 times
    Red River models

🔫 WWYS

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Great pair of Red Rivers, I would love to find a 5.5 inch RR to go with my 4.75.

Quote Originally Posted by what would you say View Post
    Red River models

Member #
    Liked
    15487 times
    Serial number info always worth having at hand dealing with USFA guns.

Starting serial numbers per model

Lightning rifle 2000
    Buntline 28XXX
    Lend Lease 45ACP 357XXX
    JW Red River D RRXXX
    Rodeo Sheriff SKAXXX
    Rodeo II Sheriff SMBXXX
    Cowboy Sheriff SMCXXX
    Sheriff SAA SMDXXX
    Sheriff Bisley hammer/old Ivory grips/ circled US/long fluted cylinder US1XXX
    Rodeo Serial begins with various single letter followed by 3 digits
    China Camp CCXXX
    Gunslinger model 57XXX or 58XXX

On the premium and Prewar guns these are what we have come up with so far.
    Start at 21XXX and continue to the end of 28XXX and into early 29000 range.. Some of the late 28900 rage were Buntlines. 28958 and 28959 were 7.5" b/c engraved guns.

I'm unaware of any 29XXX but have been told there are some.

21213 parts gun
    21215 parts gun
    21651 parts gun
    21857 and 21858 parts guns
    22113 parts gun

22154 USA gun* cone firing pin, transitional guns by the # out of order?
    22180 parts gun* transitional guns by the # out of order?

22293 cone USA
    22358 cone 4 3/4, 38-40 True Ivory aged 2 piece grips
    22421 cone firing pin
    22566 cone 7.5, 38-40 and fire blue screws
    22934 cone USA gun

Serial numbers on these guns will go to the early 29000s

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    16224 times
    Quote Originally Posted by everetto View Post
    Great pair of Red Rivers, I would love to find a 5.5 inch RR to go with my 4.75.
    As you know .. rare. I believe Saintclair has a matching pair set.. which is even more rare. Seems like they have the mirrored matching serials. - one prefixed RR the other suffixed RR. Again, USFA had planned on making X amount of sets, but donít think they did. Also, some sets may get split up as they are bought and resold... or owner sells just one.
    The only Red River that Iíve seen for sell recently is the one listed on Gunbroker, but itís the 4-3/4Ē , not the 5-1/2Ē. Itís got a German price tag on it... GuudenProud.. Not looking to give it away. ... and id have to add 7% to it cause itís in state.

Hey. Worth what someoneís willing to pay! Might as well find out when ya donít have to sell it, right .
    Last edited by what would you say; 11-12-2019 at 08:53 AM.
    everetto, JTom and saintclair like this.
    🔫 WWYS

Member #
    Liked
    221 times
    I antiqued my Rodeo a number of years ago. UDFA was still in business at that time. Love the gun but didn't like the Rodeo finish at all.
    It's a little darker in the photo than in hand.

D48DC383-C25C-4128-9825-3D82C111FBEE.jpeg
    joehaber likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2564 times
    Could never warm up to USFA or Standard for that matter. Colt SAA fan especially 2nd gen.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links