Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: USFA Rodeo Antique Finish

Member #
    Liked
    326 times
    Quote Originally Posted by what would you say View Post
    Nice !
    .. its like mowing your own lawn .... sure is nice to sit back and appreciate what you’ve got some time and sweat into.

Btw, USFA threads get bumped over to the Lounge section , but hey.. they don’t delete them.

I’m partial to the antique look and there is an art form to it, no doubt.
    Little bit of USFA trivia for fans of the brand -
    USFA actually changed their own antiquing process along the way once, so there was an early process and a later process. Former management had made statement some years ago that the first process of rusting to antique caused some issues. Apparently in a few cases the gun would be antiqued and finished up, and then later on begin to rust again after it was boxed up.
    USFA went to a different procedure/process that must have allowed for control over the rust/aging process. I have enough examples of gunslingers and Custer models that earlier guns do vary more I believe.
    VoyP, that gun looks great! I really like the rodeo’s and that antique job is nice.

WWYS, is there a serial number cutoff for the original process vs the later? Just wondering if it was done in sequence or if it’s mixed around? Also, all of the “gunslinger” models I have seen have been in the high 50K numbers like 58XXX. Are there any 50,51,52...? Mine is 589XX.

Member #
    Liked
    15487 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshalC
    Also, all of the “gunslinger” models I have seen have been in the high 50K numbers like 58XXX. Are there any 50,51,52...? Mine is 589XX.
    Gary Granger once wrote the numbers for the "Gunslinger model went from 57XXX or 58XXX" which is posted in the serial number info previous.
    Last edited by Cozmo; 11-12-2019 at 04:20 PM.
    MarshalC likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    326 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cozmo View Post
    Gary Granger once wrote is was "Gunslinger model 57XXX or 58XXX" which is posted I nthe serial number info previous.
    Thanks, I have seen that in the USFA pictures thread also. Not too many of them made. Wonder why they started at 57XXX? I guess that was my real question. Is there any in the early 50K out there? Answer apparently is no.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    16224 times
    There was not a definitive serial changeover when the antiquing processed switched to my knowledge.

I have a gunslinger with a very high 58xxx serial number. I can’t say it’s the highest out there, as I’ve never been paying attention. Like Cozmo said, all the ones that I am aware of is those two serial prefixes- 57xxx, 58xxx. Can some other serials exist? Never say never with USFA. They definitely did some gunslinger model custom serials. I acquired a desert storm custom serial .. DSVET1. I do qualify as that status, so hey. I’m a lucky sap is all I can say.
    USFA made far few less of all the different models than one may think . They didn’t need to use more than those. When I stop and think how many years go by and you may see just a few Gunslinger models per year on national auctions, and a few have been sold again, that tells me how few are really out there.
    USFA tended to do that serial number thing with many different models. The “Lend Lease” models (single action , 45acp, Armory Blue, heel lanyard ) all begin serial number 357xxx . They made so very few of those as one can decipher , since they didn’t need to expand outside of that limited serial range.
    MarshalC, JTom, Capps and 1 others like this.
    🔫 WWYS

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    16224 times
    A trio of gunslingers

BP frame 45LC , which is probably the most popular of my collection i think.

wellington, JTom, Capps and 2 others like this.
    🔫 WWYS

Member #
    Liked
    15487 times
    Quote Originally Posted by what would you say

Interesting to see the difference in finishes on those three guns. Middle one looks to be the least antiqued. Top one looks really nice to my eye. Looks like the bottom one was rode hard and put away wet Was the front sight cut up on it?

Here is another refinished Rodeo that was eventually C+ engraved.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    16224 times
    Yeah, it’s been thinned down at the rear edge, if I recall correctly. Previous owner.
    The middle one is benefitting from the 50 yard rule. It does look darker, but close up it’s got some pitting on the hammer and here and there.

Here’s my “desert Storm” Gunslinger . It also benefits from view from a distance. Close up, it looks like it went to Iraq.. via ship with a topside ride.

Close up in the sunshine... salty lookin.

Cozmo, wellington, Capps and 1 others like this.
    🔫 WWYS

Member #
    Liked
    771 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ussmanlovede36 View Post
    Could never warm up to USFA or Standard for that matter. Colt SAA fan especially 2nd gen.
    Your loss is our gain.

Dave

Member #
    Liked
    15487 times
    Quote Originally Posted by what would you say
    ... Close up, it looks like it went to Iraq.. via ship with a topside ride.
    Close up in the sunshine... salty lookin.

Yep that one looks pretty nasty. And not in a good, pole dancer, kinda way ;-) Thanks for the Gunslinger photos!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    23118 times
    As Ben said, I have a matched set of the John Wayne Red River SAA's.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links