USFA Rodeo Antique Finish
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: USFA Rodeo Antique Finish

Member #
    Liked
    15487 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ussmanlovede36
    Could never warm up to USFA or Standard for that matter. Colt SAA fan especially 2nd gen.

I get it. I wax and wane on the topic myself. With pretty much at least one of everything that I shoot, easy to see the attributes of them all. And I am a die hard Colt fan. But I'm a shooter first and foremost. If they don't shoot I aint impressed. And I have some Colt's that shoot very well.

In the 1911 world of custom guns, an educated shooter will hedge their bet when having a custom gun built. Use a Colt or loose money on the investment, plain and simple. These days there are so many good semi custom gun makers like Nighthawk or Dan Wesson I no longer see the need for a totally custom 1911. But then it hasn't been a "need" thing for the last couple of decades and the first introduction of Kimber 1911s. The 1911 production gun world has continued to get better ever since. Production Custom Colts being one of the few 1911s that still lags behind the crowd...and it is a big crowd these days.

When you start looking at getting a SAA style gun engraved, most master engravers will tell you something similar....do the work on a Colt and protect your investment. One can argue the attributes of any Generation of Col SAA. And if all you care about is the Pony on the gun by all means engrave a Colt.

I have a number of current Uberti guns that have certainly shown they are of the quality worthy of being engraved. But as much as I like them I'm not going to add a $2500 engraving job to a $500 gun. On the other hand I am not going to add a $2500 engraving job to a $2000 gun that won't hit a garbage can at 20 yards either.

Been a lot of 1st Gen Colts "saved" by being engraved. But the guns might well have been a POS for one reason or another prior to the engraving. Colt has dumped a bunch of sub standard parts into engraved and/or gaudy Commemorative guns, that Colt never intended to ever be shot. That doesn't go well for the folks who buy them and want to shoot.

Lip stick on a pig? You get the idea.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    16224 times
    Quote Originally Posted by saintclair View Post
    As Ben said, I have a matched set of the John Wayne Red River SAA's.

Attachment 663701

Attachment 663703

I don’t remember if Gary ever told me an definitive estimate in how many singles and pairs of Red River D guns that were originally planned for production.. Im pretty sure that I was told that they did not meet the planned amount.
    I believe that Terry’s is the only factory pair that I’ve ever seen - for sale or otherwise. If they’re out there, owners have held on to those Red River D’s.
    everetto and saintclair like this.
    🔫 WWYS

Member #
    Liked
    15487 times
    I started this thread knowing this pair of USFA Rodeos, C+ engraved by John Adams Sr., would show up today. And they did show up! I picked out an old turn of the Century Cuno Helfricht HELFRICHT pattern for John to mimic and add his own art too. The finish is John's version of an antique nickel. I like this version the best (I think it is the most authentic) of the three nickel finishes available, bright nickel as Colt offers, this "antique nickel and the black nickel that looks more like an ink bake, than actual 100 year old Colt nickel finished guns. I'd asked John for an exceptional pair of guns...knowing full well just how exceptional John's engraving typically is. I wanted a pair of guns a step above the normal. I got exactly what I asked for, and more, all while earlier than quoted and under budget. IMO John hit this pair out of the park. I am having Paul Persinger carve ivory I'd fit to the guns years ago.

They should be quite the pair when finished. I'll put them back together tomorrow and get some better photos of the details for a new thread.

This pair of guns is a consecutive pair of Long Hunter Rodeo I's and the first Rodeos I purchased. They were such good handguns I was encouraged to buy few more

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1958 times
    Quote Originally Posted by VoyPescado View Post
    Also a few pics of the Brill style holster I built for this one because none of my buddies are into this stuff and y’all are my only audience. Well, my wife does feign interest occasionally...the woman is a legitimate angel...
    Great work on that Brill-type holster! You got those layers of leather spacers in the long seam of the pouch too. I don't think the popularity of basket stamping will go away anytime soon.
    Cozmo likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1958 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cozmo View Post
    I started this thread knowing this pair of USFA Rodeos, C+ engraved by John Adams Sr., would show up today. And they did show up! I picked out an old turn of the Century Cuno Helfricht HELFRICHT pattern for John to mimic and add his own art too. The finish is John's version of an antique nickel. I like this version the best (I think it is the most authentic) of the three nickel finishes available, bright nickel as Colt offers, this "antique nickel and the black nickel that looks more like an ink bake, than actual 100 year old Colt nickel finished guns. I'd asked John for an exceptional pair of guns...knowing full well just how exceptional John's engraving typically is. I wanted a pair of guns a step above the normal. I got exactly what I asked for, and more, all while earlier than quoted and under budget. IMO John hit this pair out of the park. I am having Paul Persinger carve ivory I'd fit to the guns years ago.

They should be quite the pair when finished. I'll put them back together tomorrow and get some better photos of the details for a new thread.

This pair of guns is a consecutive pair of Long Hunter Rodeo I's and the first Rodeos I purchased. They were such good handguns I was encouraged to buy few more

A fabulous pair of engraved guns. I'd like to see them with those Paul Persinger carved ivory grips!
    Cozmo likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    15487 times
    Quote Originally Posted by victorio
    A fabulous pair of engraved guns. I'd like to see them with those Paul Persinger carved ivory grips!

Thank you Sir! I'll have to wait till Paul heals up for the ivory. I hope Paul is working at healing up and feeling better, not about grips !!! In the mean time I'm good. Old two piece pearls going on the guns for the photos tomorrow.
    Last edited by Cozmo; 11-14-2019 at 09:46 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    608 times
    Coz, have you had the chance to snap any more pics of the newly engraved LH Rodeo’s? Dying to see some more detailed photos!

Member #
    Liked
    269 times
    Quote Originally Posted by VoyPescado View Post
    Ok, so I know this isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but I figured I’d post it anyway. I recently purchased a USFA Rodeo from a forum member with the intention of stripping the mat finish and applying a rust blued antiquing that I’ve been experimenting with for a while. While I love my minty 99% SAA’s and I shoot the crap out of everyone I own, there is something mildly unpleasant about wearing out the finish on a pristine specimen. For this reason I’ve come to appreciate an “antique” finish that only increases in attractiveness with heavy use. While this look can be achieved with some elbow grease and a Brillo pad, I’ve enjoyed the results of a more involved process I’ve worked up, that I believe, more closely approximates the deep patina of those well used, but not totally abused, 1st gens. The USFA Rodeos are perfect for this sort of project because the factory finish is certainly lacking in traditional aesthetics. Anyway, here’s the finished product. All that’s left now is to build a set of 1piece walnuts for this “ol” girl!
    That type finish is definitely my cup o' tea. Would you share your method? I have a G-prefix 5 1/2" Rodeo that I want to either have polished then CCH'd and blued, or do an antique finish on it.

I did one antique job on one of most used Uberti's and through a series of hideous experiments found that a slurry of hydrogen peroxide and table salt, applied to the firearm and left for a while, works pretty well. This is the guinea pig-

Cholla

Member #
    Liked
    608 times
    I actually really like the look of that rust blue antiquing on your Rodeo Cholla. My method for this last one was pretty similar to traditional rust bluing with the addition of an etching process during the metal prep that causes a little more of a mottled effect in the final finish. I’ll start a new thread in the Smithing section of the forum to describe the process in more detail w/ a few pics.

Member #
    Liked
    608 times
    Edit Cholla...just saw your antiqued gun is an Uberti not a Rodeo...very cool finish either way.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links