USFA Rodeo Antique Finish
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: USFA Rodeo Antique Finish

Member #
    Liked
    15560 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_T

I think I need to spend another day or two on this...
    Dave I see the one obvious mistake you have made on that gun while working on the finish...…..

You haven't shipped it to mememmememememememememmeememe yet
    It looks good pard. Nice work!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    16778 times
    Very nice, Dave T.
    ... Like polishing the Genie’s lamp... you polished and some magic appeared.

.. and if ever you decide to sell it, sounds like Hoody is a potential buyer...
    unless now he’s talking about GIVING it.. in that case, might I talk you in to considering a raffle or drawing at that said date and time !!!
    Samgunslinger likes this.
    🔫 WWYS

Member #
    Liked
    780 times
    Thanks for the kind words but I still think it needs a bit more "aging". I have a reconstructed shoulder I'm nursing back to health (and strength) so it will be a while before I can tackle it again.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave_T; 11-21-2019 at 08:28 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Wyo

Member #
    Liked
    134 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cozmo View Post
    Easy enough to do on a Rodeo II. All it takes is some elbow grease and a Birchwood-Casey lead removal cloth. Gives a decent antique nickel finish when done. Others here have followed this example and been happy I believe.

What Nutmeg describes as antique nickel is actually "black nickel" that gets polished and looks the least like well worn older Colt nickel jobs. More like a hard chrome that was then ink baked on engraved guns. It does look "different" on a smooth gun. I believe you can do better on a Rodeo II, with little effort and no money. If nothing else you aren't going to hurt the gun with a B-C cloth.

Top to bottom here:

Colt bright nickel

Nutmeg antique nickel

Colt bright nickel

A&A antique nickel

50 year old silver plate

My Rodeo II looks more like the A&A antique nickel which in turn I think is the finish that best represents 100 year old Colt nickeled guns. Guess I need to do another photo and add a new Rodeo II and a antiqued Rodeo II.
    Really beautiful guns! I probably won’t do anything with the Rodeo II’s. I use one occasionally and the other one is unfired in the box - definitely won’t mess with that one. But every once in a while I get a wild hair and do something like an antique job. I’ve done such with blued guns but never have seen it done with nickel. Thanks for the show!
    Cozmo likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    15560 times

Top to bottom here:

antiqued Rodeo II

Colt bright nickel

Nutmeg antique nickel

Colt bright nickel

A&A antique nickel

50 year old silver plate

My polished Rodeo II looks more like the A&A antique nickel which in turn I think both look closer to the finish that best represents 100 year old Colt nickeled guns. Did what I could to easily add the Rodeo II for comparison photo I'll a better photo when I get the chance.

Member #
    Liked
    737 times
    “ That type finish is definitely my cup o' tea. Would you share your method?”

Hey Cholla, just posted a more detailed write up on the antiqued rust blue I applied to that Rodeo in the Smithing section of the forum.

https://www.coltforum.com/#/topics/368963

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Sponsored Links