USFA Rodeo Antique Finish
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: USFA Rodeo Antique Finish

Member #
    Liked
    502 times

USFA Rodeo Antique Finish

Ok, so I know this isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but I figured I’d post it anyway. I recently purchased a USFA Rodeo from a forum member with the intention of stripping the mat finish and applying a rust blued antiquing that I’ve been experimenting with for a while. While I love my minty 99% SAA’s and I shoot the crap out of everyone I own, there is something mildly unpleasant about wearing out the finish on a pristine specimen. For this reason I’ve come to appreciate an “antique” finish that only increases in attractiveness with heavy use. While this look can be achieved with some elbow grease and a Brillo pad, I’ve enjoyed the results of a more involved process I’ve worked up, that I believe, more closely approximates the deep patina of those well used, but not totally abused, 1st gens. The USFA Rodeos are perfect for this sort of project because the factory finish is certainly lacking in traditional aesthetics. Anyway, here’s the finished product. All that’s left now is to build a set of 1piece walnuts for this “ol” girl!

Member #
    Liked
    502 times
    Also a few pics of the Brill style holster I built for this one because none of my buddies are into this stuff and y’all are my only audience. Well, my wife does feign interest occasionally...the woman is a legitimate angel...

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    15691 times
    Nice !
    .. its like mowing your own lawn .... sure is nice to sit back and appreciate what you’ve got some time and sweat into.

Btw, USFA threads get bumped over to the Lounge section , but hey.. they don’t delete them.

I’m partial to the antique look and there is an art form to it, no doubt.
    Little bit of USFA trivia for fans of the brand -
    USFA actually changed their own antiquing process along the way once, so there was an early process and a later process. Former management had made statement some years ago that the first process of rusting to antique caused some issues. Apparently in a few cases the gun would be antiqued and finished up, and then later on begin to rust again after it was boxed up.
    USFA went to a different procedure/process that must have allowed for control over the rust/aging process. I have enough examples of gunslingers and Custer models that earlier guns do vary more I believe.
    🔫 WWYS

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    15691 times
    The first Usfa that I ever purchased was a used Rodeo that had been antiqued and slicked up the action. The action is what won my attention to it. Like a simmering pot of soup, it’s getting better all the time.

🔫 WWYS

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    15691 times
    Another “antiqued “ Rodeo. This one is a little more gray - looks more like a factory USFA “ gunslinger”antique job.

And if you ever get tired of that ol battleship gray .. as much as a new Colt, Standard Manuf. , or NIB USFA cost these days...
    For much less , You could send her off for a refresh and it could go from old in the front.. back to new in the back.

Last edited by what would you say; 11-08-2019 at 08:47 PM.
    🔫 WWYS

Member #
    Liked
    166 times
    That holster looks fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    15095 times
    Nice job on the holster!

Member #
    Liked
    502 times
    Thanks for the USFA history lesson WWYS. I seem to recall reading somewhere that they had issues neutralizing the earlier antique finishes and later switched to a more evenly distressed “brushed” look. Either way, I’ve seen a few Custer’s and Gunslingers that looked really sharp. And thank y’all for the compliments on the holster. I’ve been messing around with these A W Brill inspired patterns for a while now and I’ve come to love both the retention and aesthetics of the Brill/Threeperson design.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22735 times
    The antique look on the Rodeo certainly looks better to me than the 'dull', all blue original!
    what would you say and JTom like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    15691 times
    Yep.

And it’s sort of like the flat finished contractors wall paint.. every blemish along the way shows up.
    Wipe off some fingerprints off the wall and you got a nice shiny spot.

If That bolt drags across the cylinder face of the matte Rodeo finish- it shows up distinctly.
    Last edited by what would you say; 11-12-2019 at 05:44 AM.
    JTom likes this.
    🔫 WWYS

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links