Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Colt Archieve Prices

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    740 times
    That is an interesting idea! I’m guessing it will take quite a comprehensive risk-return perspective for serious consideration. Today my risk level borders conservative to moderate.
    Yes, I agree, way overblown. That said, it has generated some great correspondence.
    Vic
    Preparedness + Opportunity = Luck
    NRA Benefactor Member
    KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    So a alternative to a Colt letter would be letter from an appraiser. Finding the right one for your gun and paying them what is the cost there? Seems some want a percentage of the value they estimate.......

Its either added value and history for you, or worse case when our kids sell it cause they have no interest and want the money.

I'm out in limbo with my model 1862, tried twice with Colt, Beverly and Joe were both great. But when they have nothing I got nothing. Love to spend that $300 to have something.

There is a line there, but its different for all of us.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 11-14-2019 at 08:04 AM.
    Cal38RF

Member #
    Liked
    2535 times
    So a alternative to a Colt letter would be letter from an appraiser.
    FWIW, I've never place any stock in so-called appraisers, except perhaps John Kopec. For values you are better off doing a deep dive through past auctions, both online and off, to find actual selling prices. Appraisers will also rarely have access to any original shipping records except those that have been published in various books or websites that are easily accessed. A domain expert may be needed to determine originality or finish, small parts, etc. but they can be fooled as well, or may not have the specific domain expertise needed to justify their price.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    That was my point in the entire first line.
    Cal38RF

Member #
    Liked
    1498 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bowles View Post
    John,
    As I understand it the information contained in a letter comes directly from the ledgers. There is no embellishment, editorializing or anecdotal recollections from years at the factory, it's just the facts ma'am.
    Not true. I have several first hand examples. Here is one. At some time the historian decided to add their own opinion on not listed features. And the the historians opinion could be inaccurate regarding the original configuration of this gun. The not listed information provided in this factory letter was not obtained from the factory record on this gun. I have a 1975 letter on an 1879 gun and Huber did not add this opinion. The letter just states not listed. So, at some time the historian decided to include a non record supposition in the factory letter. Could cause originality confusion, and a decrease in value, if the supposition is not correct for the gun.

download (4).png

Member #
    Liked
    15780 times
    Quote Originally Posted by johnh View Post
    Not true. I have several first hand examples. Here is one. At some time the historian decided to add their own opinion on not listed features. And the the historians opinion could be inaccurate regarding the original configuration of this gun. The not listed information provided in this factory letter was not obtained from the factory record on this gun. I have a 1975 letter on an 1879 gun and Huber did not add this opinion. The letter just states not listed. So, at some time the historian decided to include a non record supposition in the factory letter. Could cause originality confusion, and a decrease in value, if the supposition is not correct for the gun.

download (4).png
    This is now a standard addition to SAA letters in which the barrel length and stocks are not listed. Of course you know this, you're just looking for an argument and using a poor example to start one.
    Ronald12, RPD57 and mentallapse like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NRA Endowment Life Member
    CCA Member

Member #
    Liked
    1498 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bowles View Post
    This is now a standard addition to SAA letters in which the barrel length and stocks are not listed. Of course you know this, you're just looking for an argument and using a poor example to start one.
    You stated "As I understand it the information contained in a letter comes directly from the ledgers. There is no embellishment, editorializing or anecdotal recollections from years at the factory, it's just the facts ma'am." I simply corrected your false statement. If a feature is unlisted, it is in fact unknown. Any added, unrecorded, supposition is pure conjecture. "just the facts ma'am" may be more appropriate in a letter defining the features of a gun.

Member #
    Liked
    492 times
    Sigh
    Rick Bowles likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1916 times
    The service has worked for me, glad the folks at Archive are interested in the subject, and interact positively with the Colt Collector community.
    Colt snubbies rule.

Member #
    Liked
    1498 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 68python View Post
    The service has worked for me, glad the folks at Archive are interested in the subject, and interact positively with the Colt Collector community.
    I have also had excellent service from the Archives the past 50+ years. Hopefully future owners and employees of the Archives will maintain the integrity of the records.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Sponsored Links