• 1 Post By victorio1sw
  • 2 Post By Prowbar
  • 1 Post By krag96

Thread: Pinfire revolvers

Member #
    Liked
    680 times

Pinfire revolvers

Anyone here that owns/shoots their antique pinfire revolvers?
    krag96 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    82 times
    I have a collection of 2mm pinfires. Once in a while I'll glue a #9shot European in a blank and pop a hole in a coke can. I always look for them.
    fltsfshr
    krag96 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2029 times
    I never owned one and maybe never even held one, I do realize though they're an untapped collectable for those collecting revolvers of the American Civil War. Many large frame 9mm and 11mm were purchased by the Federal army and issued, yet the prices are a fraction of percussion revolvers issued.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    680 times
    Quote Originally Posted by krag96 View Post
    I never owned one and maybe never even held one, I do realize though they're an untapped collectable for those collecting revolvers of the American Civil War. Many large frame 9mm and 11mm were purchased by the Federal army and issued, yet the prices are a fraction of percussion revolvers issued.
    Yep, the CW usage is where my interest comes from. I recently bought a 9mm SA/DA Belgian made revolver. Needs some repairs as I'm looking to shoot it. Planning to make the brass and a sizing die myself and reload the cartridges.

I was wondering if any other members shot/reloaded for these pinfire revolvers.
    krag96 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2029 times
    I have a book somewhere with a list of who was issued what weapons as of January 1863. I do believe there's a section for pinfire revolvers. I'll take a look and report the list when I dig it out.
    Prowbar likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2029 times
    The book was no problem to find, as I though these revolvers were issued to western regiments fighting for the North.

Dakota Territory Cavalry

5th. Ill.

2nd. Kansas

5th. Kansas

6th. KY.

8th. MO.

9th. MO.

1st. WI.
    Colt-SL and victorio1sw like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1922 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Prowbar View Post
    Yep, the CW usage is where my interest comes from. I recently bought a 9mm SA/DA Belgian made revolver. Needs some repairs as I'm looking to shoot it. Planning to make the brass and a sizing die myself and reload the cartridges.

I was wondering if any other members shot/reloaded for these pinfire revolvers.
    Just curious. In reloading these pinfire cartridges, what kind of primer system is used? I guess the pin crushes something like fulminate against an anvil, all located inside the head of the cartridge.
    krag96 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    680 times
    Quote Originally Posted by victorio1sw View Post
    Just curious. In reloading these pinfire cartridges, what kind of primer system is used? I guess the pin crushes something like fulminate against an anvil, all located inside the head of the cartridge.
    Percussion cap, inverted. The pin hits the explosive on the inside. The cap is held in place by the pin. The cap can be set on the bottom of the case or a special recess or ring inside the case. Special (smaller) percussion caps where used for the pinfire cartridges.
    krag96 and victorio1sw like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2029 times
    A company, H&C in France sells reloadable cartridge kits and supplies for pinfire, (and other antique) reloading. www.hc-collection.com
    victorio1sw likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    680 times
    Quote Originally Posted by krag96 View Post
    A company, H&C in France sells reloadable cartridge kits and supplies for pinfire, (and other antique) reloading. www.hc-collection.com
    I have looked at those, but in my opinion the prices are ridiculous. As a engineer/machinist I'm planning to make my own components.

Sponsored Links