Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Finally made another purchase at Cabela's

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    990 times

Finally made another purchase at Cabela's

A while back, there were some threads (some I started, others I participated in) calling out Cabela's for all their ridiculous rules and regulations following their takeover by Bass Pro Shops. I still buy ammunition there, but I vowed never to purchase another gun there.

I guess I should never say never... last night I went there, and saw a used Colt Combat Commander (it was a newer Combat Commander with G10 grips), and I asked to look at it, and well, you know the rest.

So why did I change my mind? Well, the salesperson was patient, polite, and agreed to let me take off the gun lock and let me inspect the gun in detail. He did abide by the store's rules (many of which I still consider ridiculous), but he was also very accommodating to me. So I guess it all boils down to something I haven't seen at Cabela's in two years - good customer service.

I'm not going to take back my previous criticisms of Cabela's (I still believe those comments were well-deserved); but I'm hoping that management has listened to some of the suggestions I've made in the past. Call me a dinosaur if you want, but I still believe that good customer service overrides a low price.

Member #
    Liked
    179 times
    It’s great to read that your experience was positive. I started one of the threads and my experience was, like yours, not an employee issue. The employee taking care of me truly wanted to meet my needs but their rules did not allow them to allow me to check the timing on the revolver I was considering.

Your experience is encouraging if they are now allowing one to check the action of a gun. I will reconsider buying a gun from them IF my local Cabelas does the same. I truly like the customer service I’ve received in the past and would like to continue doing so under these new guidelines. Thanks for posting your experience.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    990 times
    I hope they've changed, too. In the past, I had mixed experience with customer service from Cabela's. I made several suggestions and things did change, so I hoping they're listening.

One thing I've noticed at Cabela's is that the number of older guns available for sale has decreased greatly. I'm still not sure why that is. The Gun Library - at one point reserved for antiques and high-end firearms - is more lower-end now... think of used ARs and slightly older and used guns. Not bad, but nothing "special".

Last night, it was very noticeable that all the salespeople in the Gun Library were older gentlemen. I'm guessing that's one of the reasons I was treated well last night. Older people understand that making customers happy is important; while younger people are more inclined to be impatient and think customers with questions are wasting their time.
    sublimert70, krag96 and colrhino like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1805 times
    Haven't been to the ft worth cabelas lately, but when I hit up the one in League City between Houston and Galveston last summer, 90% of the guns in the gun library were brand new recent production...
    krag96 and 1911Collector like this.

Member #
    Liked
    599 times
    I've never seen a 'good deal' in their Gun Room , and they won't do an on the spot FFL transfer anway. They want me to buy with all fees and paperwork.
    krag96 likes this.
    "One does not sell Colts , one buys Colts! "

Member #
    Liked
    146 times
    When they did away with the military discount on guns. Even now reinstated, that was it for me!
    krag96 and colrhino like this.
    Feedom ain't Free!

Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Don't suppose this is the shop on the south side of Denver? Have been debating in making the hike up from the Springs to check out the library. We have A LOT of gun shops down here but they seem to cater to the 2005+ generations of firearms.

Member #
    Liked
    222 times
    Blaming Cabela's is not going to change anything, It is Bass Pro causing all the problems, they bought Cabela's & made all the changes, now you can walk into any Cabela's, look at an item, & drive straight to an Academy store & buy the same item for substantially less.

Member #
    Liked
    1805 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mkk41 View Post
    I've never seen a 'good deal' in their Gun Room , and they won't do an on the spot FFL transfer anway. They want me to buy with all fees and paperwork.
    I bought a pointer grade superposed from them once for about 2k. Sold it about a year later to someone that wanted it way more than me for 4.5k. I have seen some other guns that weren't bad deals but I wasn't in a position to buy them. The Ft Worth store usually has some good deals, granted its been about a year since I stopped by. I have seen some prices on 1st gen SAAs, diamonbacks, and even pythons that were better than what you find online typically. A friend of mine picked up a CHE Parker Bros shotgun at a Florida Cabela's for about 2 grand a few years back. He was offered 7 grand for it at a national side x side last spring. Of course the only parker I have ever seen for sale was one with a broken stock and loose rib for way more than it was worth.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    990 times
    Quote Originally Posted by boredkender View Post
    Don't suppose this is the shop on the south side of Denver? Have been debating in making the hike up from the Springs to check out the library. We have A LOT of gun shops down here but they seem to cater to the 2005+ generations of firearms.
    Yes, that's the one. As I've said, I did receive good customer service when I was there last week, but the Gun Library doesn't have nearly the number of antique/older firearms that they used to. Now it's mostly used guns - some steel & wood, but a lot of polymer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links