grip screw just spins. Update
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: grip screw just spins. Update

Member #
    Liked
    2395 times
    Quote Originally Posted by spacecoast1 View Post
    A quick Google search says that red Loctite might require heat (500 degrees) and/or paint remover (try acetone?). Heat doesn't sound very friendly to your rubber grips, not sure about the paint remover.
    Hard rubber begins to char at 450F. At 210F it becomes somewhat soft.
    cloverleaf likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2395 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cloverleaf View Post
    The screw is still stuck in the spinning escutcheon.
    I contrived to clamp the grips with wood blocks and it worked to the degree that the escutcheon stopped spinning but the screw wouldn't turn.
    I now suspect something like Locktite in the threads. There is 0 corrosion evident.
    does anything eat Locktite?
    If nothing works. you will have to mill thru the screw head with a mill the size of the screw shank. That will allow the removal of both grips, without harming either of the grips or escutcheons. I made a reostat (old word for variable resistor) for my Dremel tool, so that the 30,000 rpm can be slowed to as little as 0 rpm. A Dremel runs on DC current, so controlling the voltage controls the rpm! Then while running at a slow speed, and using about a 1/16" end mill sold by Dremel, I can mill thru that screw head free-hand. Then you can push out the stuck screw and escutcheon, so that more torque can be applied to the "dutchman" screw.
    cloverleaf and spacecoast1 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1000 times
    Quote Originally Posted by STORM2 View Post
    Take the other screw out, remove the grip panel from the gun so you can see what is going on. If something is frozen up, cut it away and replace the bad parts. It ain’t rocket science.
    "Rocket Scientist"
    What other screw? There is only one
    up196 and victorio1sw like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7852 times
    You're going about this the right way . No hurry .

Possible to show some photos ?

Highly unusual that loctite is involved on grip screws but of course anything is possible . More commonly I see old/dried oil turned to "varnish/glue" as the cause of stuck screws . Applying a drop or two of Hoppes 9 on the threads and letting it soak will usually soften the "glue" . In your case as the escutcheon is spinning it'll be a challenge . After soaking try the screw again while apply firm direct pressure on the escutcheon in an attempt to prevent it from spinning . Maybe use something with friction like an eraser head or rubber that would prevent turning .

On occasion I've needed to apply directed heat towards loctited screws and used a steel rod maybe 1/8-3/16" dia heated with a propane torch . Heat the rod and place directly on the screw tip/escutcheon end .
    cloverleaf likes this.
    Condition Yellow

Please support Crimson Trace Grips , Mossberg and Beretta . They support our troops .

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1044 times
    does anything eat Locktite?
    I've used dry ice to defeat Loctite but never on something that small.
    cloverleaf likes this.
    Berhati-hati di ruang platform. 🇸🇬

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4035 times
    Did you "Super Glue" the escutcheon to the stock panel in as suggested? (You do not say you did. If not, why not?) Did you put some penetrating oil around the screw threads? (You do not say you did. If not, why not?) If you did all of that and that did not free the screw, you are at the point when the screw needs to be destroyed if you really want to remove the stocks.

Member #
    Liked
    1000 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeColt View Post
    Did you "Super Glue" the escutcheon to the stock panel in as suggested? (You do not say you did. If not, why not?) Did you put some penetrating oil around the screw threads? (You do not say you did. If not, why not?) If you did all of that and that did not free the screw, you are at the point when the screw needs to be destroyed if you really want to remove the stocks.
    I have applied penetrating oil several times and tapped the screw end.
    I have not tried super glue or pins because I don't want to degrade the parts.
    I will look for a replacement screw while I consider all options
    victorio1sw likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1000 times
    Quote Originally Posted by guy sajer View Post
    You're going about this the right way . No hurry .

On occasion I've needed to apply directed heat towards loctited screws and used a steel rod maybe 1/8-3/16" dia heated with a propane torch . Heat the rod and place directly on the screw tip/escutcheon end .
    I will try the heated rod
    Thanks Guy
    victorio1sw likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4035 times
    I have not tried super glue or pins because I don't want to degrade the parts.
    "Super Glue," carefully applied, will be "sucked" in around the escutcheon and it will not be visible (wipe off any excess before it sets up), so the part will not be "degraded."

Member #
    Liked
    1000 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeColt View Post
    "Super Glue," carefully applied, will be "sucked" in around the escutcheon and it will not be visible (wipe off any excess before it sets up), so the part will not be "degraded."
    Judge,
    is there a solvent I should use to wipe off the excess?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links