grip screw just spins. Update
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: grip screw just spins. Update

Member #
    Liked
    784 times
    "Super Glue," carefully applied, will be "sucked" in around the escutcheon and it will not be visible (wipe off any excess before it sets up), so the part will not be "degraded."

Another vote for this approach but I would strongly recommend a product called Locktite 420 for this application. I’ve used this stuff for many years on a wide variety of projects where superior “wicking” and bonding abilities are a must. A little spendy for such a small bottle but I guarantee you, if you dab a little around that escutcheon it will rapidly and evenly penetrate the space between your grip material and the brass/metal and bond firmly, allowing you to easily wipe away any excess and apply maximum torque to that screw. Oh, and any penetrating oil, given enough time, will begin to soften both red and blue locktite.
    cloverleaf likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4037 times
    No. "Super Glue" does not cure immediately, but have something absorbent handy since there is not an abundance of time either. Before you try this cure, experiment with a few drops on something to get a feel of how much time you have.

Use a large pin or small screwdriver tip to transfer drops all around the joint. Trying to drop the glue into the joint from the tube or pen will almost certainly result in getting too much.

Oiling or greasing the inside cup of the escutcheon will insure that glue will not stick to the cup and screw end. Be sure not to get any oil in the joint, or the glue will not stick the escutcheon to the rubber at all.
    cloverleaf and up196 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1015 times
    Thanks VOY

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    286 times
    I think I've read this whole post and not seen it mentioned exactly the model gun we're working with.

If it's a SAA, clone, or model where back strap comes of simular, just remove the backstrap and pull grips off like a one-piece grip. Then grips can slip off the backstrap. The grip panels will slide together and screw and escutcheon can be delt with.

If it's a gun designed with a solid gripframe... ignore the above.

If the oil and glue metheds fail, I'd get the Dremel out and use a small diamond crusted bit to either cut the head or the threads.

Member #
    Liked
    286 times
    Did you get your grips off? If so, how did you go about doing it?

Member #
    Liked
    2073 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bibbyman View Post
    I think I've read this whole post and not seen it mentioned exactly the model gun we're working with.

If it's a SAA, clone, or model where back strap comes of simular, just remove the backstrap and pull grips off like a one-piece grip. Then grips can slip off the backstrap. The grip panels will slide together and screw and escutcheon can be delt with.

If it's a gun designed with a solid gripframe... ignore the above.

If the oil and glue metheds fail, I'd get the Dremel out and use a small diamond crusted bit to either cut the head or the threads.

Bibbyman. It sounds like he is working with two piece grips for SAA. If so, the stock locating pin will prevent the two piece grips from sliding off the triggerguard in one piece when the backstrap is removed.

Member #
    Liked
    286 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hwjhfs View Post
    Bibbyman. It sounds like he is working with two piece grips for SAA. If so, the stock locating pin will prevent the two piece grips from sliding off the triggerguard in one piece when the backstrap is removed.
    I have three Colt SAA but don't tend to take them apart as often as I do my Uberti Cattleman that l use to shoot Cowboy Action Shooting. So I forgot that the pin was in the bottom of the trigger guard and not the lower corner of the backstrap.

Still, it could be possible to take the three backstrap screws out and work the backstrap off the grips - leaving them attached to the locating pin. Once the backstrap is out of the way, I'd think the grips would fall off the pin.

Update: I pulled a second generation Colt SAA out of the safe and was able to pull the backstrap from the grips. But I forgot that I have a spacer between the grip panels so the grips wouldn't collapse. So they wouldn't come off without risking breaking them. Without the spacer, they may have.

In any case, it would be great if the original poster would come back and update us on his progress.
    Last edited by Bibbyman; 12-02-2019 at 01:26 PM.
    hwjhfs likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1015 times
    Hello Bibbyman
    The screw is still stuck.
    I have been working on another project and I don't want to work on the grips when I'm tired.
    I just posted a pic on the S&W Appreciation thread
    Mike

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links