Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Henry 22 or Browning BL-22

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7496 times

Henry 22 or Browning BL-22

My wife gave me the go ahead to buy my 14 year-old son a 22 lever action for Christmas. Academy sells the basic Henry 22 for $289, and it looks like a nice gun for the money. I'm not crazy about the zinc alloy frame, but it is what it is. I've been thinking about the Browning, but for a young teen I'm wondering if it's a little too nice for a first 22.

JWP

Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    I’ve got the BL-22. It’s a very nice, well made gun that will also last a lifetime. One thing I really like about it is the short throw lever.
    Hopalong likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2342 times
    I had a Henry and my brother used his being my sibling to get it from me. It's a great gun and he still uses it as a truck gun. They make a great gift in my opinion. Browning makes a good lever 22 and a good friend had one for many years until his house was robbed. Short stroke compared other lever actions. Either gun would do but I will go with the Henry for the young man, parts in the future will keep it running and Henry looks like they will be around a long time.
    Hopalong likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    334 times
    I got the Henry for my youngest Grandson, 11 and he loves it. Excellent shooter right out of the box. Very good quality and cannot say enough about Henry's Customer Service. The rifle is well balanced, would not hesitate on the Henry. I do not have the Browning but friend of mine does. It too is nice but he paid lot more than 289 for it. Anyway you can get the Henry for him and the Browning for you then have something to pass on further down the road.
    459459 and Hopalong like this.

Member #
    Liked
    3606 times
    I don't have any experience with the Henry, but I haven't heard anything bad about them. I do have a Browning BL22 and I like it a lot. I have three lever action .22's. The BL22, a Marlin 39a Mountie and a Winchester 9422, and that's the order I'd rate them in, at least from my experience shooting them. I'm sure you wouldn't go wrong with either one.

Here's another option; Slide Action, my .22 of choice.
    Last edited by 22_Matt; 11-23-2019 at 11:13 AM.
    Hopalong likes this.
    The West wasn't won with a registered gun.

Member #
    Liked
    482 times
    I have a Winchester and two Brownings. Both are great rifles and I would recommend either, although the younger crowd and smaller frame adults seem to like the Browning better. I've not heard anything but good about the Henry's and frankly I don't think you can go wrong with any one of the three. I's suggest checking the Henry section out over at Rimfirecentral.com
    Hopalong and jeepnut711 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    4449 times
    Well my first rifle was the BL 22. I think i actually paid for it too. They are a very nice 22 lever gun.
    My dad and my brother had 9422's, which is also a nice lever gun.

While not too familar wth the Henry I did look and one of the Golden Boy .22 lever actions and imo it had the same feel as the Winchester 66 & 73.

Unless the young man has shown an interest in some particular one, I'm sure he'd be ecstatic with either one.

When I bought my BL 22 it was new on the market and not a whole lot of choices back then. Being left hand there weren't much choices in bolt action 22's either.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9617 times
    I have both. My little Henry has the big loop and i bought it new 20 years ago or so. I like it a lot but my one complaint is the wide front sight. It's like looking at a fence post. But it is accurate, I used it for barn pigeons. The Browning is nicer in every way but more $. I have a couple of 9422's as well. If it's just a shooter/plinker type, get the Henry. You/he can always get a Browning down the road for an upgrade if wanted.
    'This is King Fisher's Road--Take the other one'

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    938 times
    I have around 13 Henry's at last count, I believe. Maybe one more or less. Standard model .22's, youth models, the kids each have a singe shot bolt .22 they learned on in the safe, Golden Boy .22, a Mares Leg model that's just the right length to bungee to the handle bars of my ATV, a Frontier model with a suppressor, bigger versions .38/.357, a .45-70 that's put some big meat on the table, a single shot .243 I've yet to shoot...I guess you could say I/We like them. Fantastic rifles to actually get out and use, without the worry you're damaging the value.

I will admit, I've never owned the Browning but I hear only good things about it. They cost more, but that's never been a detractor for me. I've got plenty of the "pricier" models of various firearms that I take out and use as intended.

I just have a long history of being very, very satisfied with the Henry product and their reputation/customer service and innovation is tops as well.

If you want to stray from the lever action, they even make a dandy pump action .22/.22mag rifle! That's on my list one of these days.

But the true value is actually in their use - the memories built with the kids and family, isn't it? Either would accomplish that goal and years down the road, with the dings, scratches, pictures and memories...that's what will be the real value, regardless of what you settle on. When you get to that point, be sure to post up pictures and stories to share with us on here!

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    8250 times
    By the time he's grown, his first .22, a Henry, will be worn out and in bad shape because of the Zamac receiver and the slip-over brass colored receiver cover.
    He'll probably have to have retired it due to the wear and tear from lots of shooting.
    It'll probably be just a wall hanger memory of what was.

On the other hand, the Browning will be scratched and the finish will be worn, but his kids will be fighting to see who gets it.
    It'll still be a shooting rifle with many fond memories and more to come.
    So, you can either leave the kid aged into the man with a busted Timex, or a Cadillac.

With that said, my favorite to buy would be an older Marlin 39A or 39M.
    A Marlin will be more expensive, but it's arguably the finest lever action .22 ever made, and now because of MIM and plastic, it's the finest that will ever be made.
    That will not only still be working, HIS grand kids will be fighting over it.
    There are Marlin's made in the 40s' that are still being used by kids today, and their kids will use it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links