End of (another) era
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree183Likes

Thread: End of (another) era

Member #
    Liked
    304 times
    I started going into the gun shop I work part time at when I was in high school. Small town local shop. Owner and employees taught me alot about guns and reloading. Now, all this time later, I have the honor of working there. Owner can't afford to pay me but I don't mind, discount and chance to be around normal people and gun enthusiasts is very fulfilling for me in my otherwise jaded world. Any of you that work in law enforcement know all about that. Shop has been there since 1952, original owner sold it to employees of his, and now only one remains. One of the guys that worked there had to leave to care for his ailing mother and sister in law. The other one lost his third bout with cancer from agent orange earlier this year. We really miss him, he was a great guy. We have as many, if not more, transfers come in than we sell thanks to the internet. Not many people left with loyalty to small shops. Some of the best people I have met in my life have been at the shop. We lost one of our long time customers earlier this year too. Probably one of the smartest people I ever met. He could tell you anything you wanted to know about precision 22 shooting. Couple years ago he gave us a rifle, a Mosin Nagant, that a Korean soldier tried to kill him with during the war. He said he knew we would value it for what it is. I took it completely apart, totally cleaned it, oiled it, and now it is hung prominently high above the floor in a place of honor. Has a not for sale sign on it. Think of him every time I look at it. Alot of our customers buy occasionally but stop by often to talk about guns and see what is new. That's what I always liked about it, just stopping by to visit is appreciated. Course working at a shop, things tend to follow me home from there, alot.
    Last edited by 1915colt; 12-02-2019 at 07:44 AM.
    Cozmo, oberon, ei8ht and 5 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    9541 times
    It is good to be among folks who can relate to one another in terms of our culture.
    I know that we will have at least some influence on the guys who are still comin', and those guys will influence the ones after them. I am grateful for the knowledge and experience of those who brought me this far; those who got us all here.
    This is how it has always been done.
    Times change, but fundamental values are, and will be constant, even if a little scarce these days.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    23729 times
    Like all, I am sorry to see the 'ole time' gun stores disappearing. In Oberon's area, I used to look forward to summer vacations in southern Maine so I could see the guns at Kittery Trading Post. The major problem with that huge gun store was they usually only had 1-2 people to wait on 20+ potential customers. I often wondered how they even stayed in business.
    ei8ht, MarkInTx, oberon and 3 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    7502 times
    “ Like sand through an hour glass, these are the days of our lives"
    ei8ht, MarkInTx, Ugly and 3 others like this.
    NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

Member #
    Liked
    9541 times
    Quote Originally Posted by saintclair View Post
    Like all, I am sorry to see the 'ole time' gun stores disappearing. In Oberon's area, I used to look forward to summer vacations in southern Maine so I could see the guns at Kittery Trading Post. The major problem with that huge gun store was they usually only had 1-2 people to wait on 20+ potential customers. I often wondered how they even stayed in business.
    I have had good experience there, but mostly because I was always on a mission, and I knew what I was doin'.
    Sometimes you have to sort of assert yourself to get the staff's attention. And, of course, you really have to be buying. They can haggle with some stuff, but not the popular and high end. I once 'poached' a set of Browning High Power grips when the guy who wanted 'em simply did not have the scratch. I said to the counter person, 'Well if he isn't takin' 'em, I will'. And the guy who wanted 'em got all snotty with me' so I said, 'Then give him the money or shove off'.
    It can get like that in a big place that has a lot of traffic.
    The trade/appraisal counter guys can also change the retail price on just about any used item/accessory if it will get it out the door. They don't want a lot of junk piled up all over the place, so they will do what they can to help out.
    I will continue to do certain things there, but there are other places, more homey, and a lot easier to drive to.
    Last edited by oberon; 11-25-2019 at 01:03 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    12665 times
    "poached"

Nice...

mentallapse likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NRA Life Member since 1977...

Member #
    Liked
    5933 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Sopris View Post
    The problem with life is that, as every other orifice shrinks, the one in the hourglass grows larger.
    mentallapse and ei8ht like this.
    NRA Life member. 31 year LEO. Moderator
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Survivor of 3 Cancers: PTCL-NOS, AITL, MDS, plus a stem cell transplant. My condensed cancer journey
    under "about me" and more detail
    Avatar: "No, it's not a silencer. This little doodad is my own invention. I call it a LOUDENER"

Member #
    Liked
    9541 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Sopris View Post
    The corollary to that might be "Like bleep through a goose........"
    Either way, this whole perceived reality is temporary at best.
    We may as well try to make the best of it.
    Kid Sopris and mentallapse like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2511 times
    Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    The trade/appraisal counter guys can also change the retail price on just about any used item/accessory if it will get it out the door. They don't want a lot of junk piled up all over the place, so they will do what they can to help out.
    I will continue to do certain things there, but there are other places, more homey, and a lot easier to drive to.
    An acquaintance (can't call him a friend) worked for years at a large gun store. People would come in for an appraisal, consignment sale or just to trade something. The store offered the customer a dollar amount. My acquaintance would get him alone before the deal was closed and say "If you meet me in the parking lot behind the building, I'll give you $50 more than they offered inside." He got some nice guns for smoking deals...until he got caught and was fired. It's really hard to trust someone who brags about screwing people.
    Colt-SL and mentallapse like this.
    "Cowards never lasted long enough to become real
    ." --

Life Member: NRA, TSRA, NMSSA
    Action Pistol Director-TSRA

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links