End of (another) era
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree183Likes

Thread: End of (another) era

Member #
    Liked
    9542 times

End of (another) era

I have been puttin' this off for a month.
    My local dealer has been winding down the tradin' post over the last 5 or 6 weeks.
    The place was popular, busy and did well enough to keep the lights on and keep a couple knowledgeable guys occupied in a field they loved and were good at. There were changes in personnel, but all good guys, all retired, and all either veterans or ret. LE, or both. The place ran quite nicely for 15 years. Saturdays were like going to an old time gun show.
    And they never tried to make bank on the next customer; they always had better than reasonable prices, and would haggle a little to keep everyone happy & interested. It had all the homey charm and comfort that an old general store might have: cozy wood stove, places to sit, tons of firearms related material in bookshelves, all manner of gun culture in sufficient quantity to make people come in regularly. Coffee, donuts, food, good company and a sense of fraternity that you can only get with good guys who respect one another.
    It acted as a restorative among like-minded folks in a world where some things don't make a helluva lot of sense.
    I got some of the very best deals anyone could ever ask for there. They are the guys who would take a trade and put it in a drawer because they knew you (I) would be in there in a day or 2 and that you (I) would be hot for that particular item. They did it for all the regular customers. They knew who would be interested in what, and made every effort to put the hardware and the customer together.
    The place was an oasis.
    The yard sale wagon was like a gold mine for scroungers such as myself. I once found a little brass machine part that I recognized, and spent the rest of the afternoon picking through boxes upon boxes of bits & pieces until I found all the parts to an entire Lyman #55 powder measure. He sold it to me for $15. It was that kind of place.
    Gunsmithing, repair, maintenance, building and assembling, was happening every day.
    Nobody was safe or off limits, and everybody got their chops busted.
    As with any association, we lost a few along the way. Gone but not forgotten.
    It was real men doing real men stuff, and I will miss 'em.
    The owner assembled a list of regular participants so folks will be able to stay in contact.
    We will all make other arrangements with other dealers, and we will stay the course.
    It will be an adjustment.
    I will miss it.
    It is the end of an era.

This thing is the last little oddball I got out of that place:

It is a Harrington & Richardson .32 rimfire. $15, OTD

Member #
    Liked
    4141 times
    They were everything I trying to be. However, I'm not sure that it's a business model that pays off nowadays.
    WVCOLT, nhdblfan, Kerz and 5 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gun repair and restoration

Member #
    Liked
    744 times
    “It acted as a restorative among like-minded folks in a world where some things don't make a helluva lot of sense.”

No doubt in my mind this post, the events that inspired it, and this particular quote will strike a nerve with many of us here. Seems the train of progress is roaring forward faster than ever these days and leaving behind the things we cherish the most. As a relatively “young” guy here on the forum at the ripe ol’ age of 30, a small business owner myself, and the son of an FFL that was force to close the doors on the brick and mortar in 2017, I genuinely fear that our best years as a nation may be fading into the history books and there’s too few folks in my generation committed to keeping the flame burning. Every closure of yet another local gun shop/outfitter echos like the ominous beat of a drum reminding us that time, is indeed, marching on. I wish you, and all those involved in the ownership and operation of your beautifully depicted “tradin’ post” all the best, and pray that new doors will open where old ones have closed.
    WVCOLT, oberon, Ugly and 11 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2261 times
    Here is a similar little 22RF seven-shooter. The topstrap is marked “Young America” and “Double Action”. A very thin-walled cylinder. This little revolver was produced from 1898 to 1904 and was intended for black powder.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    LEO918, oberon, MarkInTx and 4 others like this.

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by VoyPescado View Post
    “It acted as a restorative among like-minded folks in a world where some things don't make a helluva lot of sense.”

No doubt in my mind this post, the events that inspired it, and this particular quote will strike a nerve with many of us here. Seems the train of progress is roaring forward faster than ever these days and leaving behind the things we cherish the most. As a relatively “young” guy here on the forum at the ripe ol’ age of 30, a small business owner myself, and the son of an FFL that was force to close the doors on the brick and mortar in 2017, I genuinely fear that our best years as a nation may be fading into the history books and there’s too few folks in my generation committed to keeping the flame burning. Every closure of yet another local gun shop/outfitter echos like the ominous beat of a drum reminding us that time, is indeed, marching on. I wish you, and all those involved in the ownership and operation of your beautifully depicted “tradin’ post” all the best, and pray that new doors will open where old ones have closed.
    +1
    SHOOTER13, ei8ht and mentallapse like this.

Member #
    Liked
    5933 times
    Nostalgia weighs heavily at such times. Yet, and yet, you would have no sense of loss were it not for those years of gain; the friendships, the camaraderie, the exchange of knowledge, the treasure hunts, the....

Imagine how poorer you would be if none of that had occurred.
    Gator89, Kerz, 73shovel and 11 others like this.
    NRA Life member. 31 year LEO. Moderator
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Survivor of 3 Cancers: PTCL-NOS, AITL, MDS, plus a stem cell transplant. My condensed cancer journey
    under "about me" and more detail
    Avatar: "No, it's not a silencer. This little doodad is my own invention. I call it a LOUDENER"

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1005 times
    oberon,
    Very well well stated of an era gone by. So reminds of a local harware store in a small eastern KY town many years ago.
    Vic
    Preparedness + Opportunity = Luck
    NRA Benefactor Member
    KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    2511 times
    There was a store similar to that here. It just felt comfortable going in there. Finally arthritis and big box stores took their toll and they shut it all down a couple of years ago.
    Still haven't found another even close to being as comfortable.
    SHOOTER13, Ugly, ei8ht and 1 others like this.
    "Cowards never lasted long enough to become real
    ." --

Life Member: NRA, TSRA, NMSSA
    Action Pistol Director-TSRA

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    975 times
    Sounds like a wonderful place. I know if it was near me, I'd have been one of the regulars. There's only one old shop nearby that is anything similar, and it tries...but lacks in some areas. Thanks for posting and sharing of your place.
    SHOOTER13, ei8ht and mentallapse like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1374 times
    It is happening all over America. Manufacturers do not want brick and mortar dealers to get a slice of the pie while at the same time there are no longer loyal customers. Most now are like buzzards waiting around to pick your bones.
    SHOOTER13, az_colt, ei8ht and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links