Gun shows getting better?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Gun shows getting better?

Member #
    Liked
    598 times

Gun shows getting better?

Hesitantly, I went again today. I was very surprised. It was very entertaining. Lots of colts but mostly from out of town vendors. For the first time since I've been going there was ivory. There was a vendor from Vegas that had the best display of colts I've ever seen. He had well over $100k of colt 1911s Talo. You should research them if you dont know much about them. He was pretty pricey though. Hopefully, hes a member here.
    Also, there was a vendor from Kentucky that had a large display of ivory and bone.

Anyhow, this is what I bought. The pieces will be inlays of a cue stick that I'm having made. Also, I couldn't pass up the knife with a cobra sheath. It's a real cobra.

I think the gun shows are picking up and it seems the non gun and knife vendors are being pushed to the furthest tables.
    I hope this isnt a fluke.

20191201_151209.jpg
    20191201_232858.jpg
    20191201_232943.jpg
    20191201_232929.jpg
    Last edited by Biffjohanson; 12-02-2019 at 12:27 AM.
    inspcalahan, boykin and ColtsDad like this.

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Took in the show over the holiday weekend at Birch Run, Michigan. The venue was originally a hockey arena with two rinks, plenty of tables on both sides. Surprisingly, the crowd, on Saturday at least, was sparse and unlike Biff's experience, the "other than firearms" tables were everywhere. Books, hats, jerky, candy, and so on. Was tempted by a Colt Police Positive that looked to be in good shape, for $350. About half what most old Colts go for these days. But being that time of year, my credit cards have already gotten a workout. That, and I already have a pristine Police Positive, I was able to walk away.
    krag96 likes this.
    Never argue with an idiot in public. People passing by won't know which one of you is the idiot.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1828 times
    Sad to say but I think gun shows are declining. The last show I went was not much. One overpriced Python, a well used Detective Special, and a few nice Smiths . Some interesting older guns Plenty of Black Plastic guns. Lots of flea market junk. Did buy 4 boxes of .2!8 Bee ammunition at a good price. That was it. I think the internet may have pretty much killed small gun shows. Went with a friend of mine and it was a fun afternoon. Always seem to learn something at every show, and always run into some old friends. Gun shows aren't like they used to be, but they will have to do.
    Kid Sopris and krag96 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

DJC

Member #
    Liked
    577 times
    They seem to be shrinking in Western ND/Eastern MT as a result of some breath taking insurance rate increases. A couple of weapon discharges in the venue has not helped.
    krag96 likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1171 times
    Unfortunately in California they are declining. Which is no surprise based on our restrictions for sales. I have had a table at the Orange county show for over twenty years and I still go mostly to say hello to old friends. The show is basically black rifles and accessories with a lot of non gun stuff.

Jim
    BusaDave and krag96 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    88 times
    I went to a show in Knoxville recently and it wasn’t bad. Lots of overpriced stuff, but at least it wasn’t just a sea of black plastic.
    krag96 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    7527 times
    SW Idaho leaves a lot to be desired...Some of the smaller shows have a clique of reprobates that have not had running water, soap or the decency to wash their clothes for some time.
    If you're unfortunate to have a table next to one of these sellers, you may be turned off of gun shows for a decade or two....

It’s refreshing to go by a woman selling jerky ....

Most of the people here on the Forum have better wares than the majority of sellers seen recently at shows..
    ColtsDad and krag96 like this.
    NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

Member #
    Liked
    2111 times
    ^^^^ First paragraph made me laugh , 2nd part(woman) made me smile , 3rd part made me think and realize how true ^^^^

i liked jcmh 1’s reasoning - and could see they enjoyable atmosphere.

There are less than a handful of shows in my whole state each year .
    Theyre usually 8 to ten bucks entry .

if I see at least a couple Colts , or buy something I’m happy .
    Buying something though usually means some reading material , leather , ammunition or accessories.
    And the Colt Collectibles I sometimes score are the best .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kid Sopris and krag96 like this.
    COLT TO THE CORE

Member #
    Liked
    6917 times
    I live in the very gun-friendly SW, and shows have gone downhill for the past 30 years. But you have to realize it depends on the show. Some promoters don't allow jerky, knives, coins. Some do. I find the few shows that stay true to the form, and if that means I only go to one a year, so be it. The greedy promoters that just want to fill up their tables with anything, but call it a gun show, I avoid. They'll eventually go out of business. If you went to a doll show, cat show, pocketwatch show and had 25% of the tables selling guns, you'd be pissed....

Just about every show I can find something old priced right. Plastic sells, so wood and steel owners are sometimes desperate.
    Last edited by azshot; 12-05-2019 at 09:23 AM.
    krag96 likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    921 times
    Show quality is the same here the couple I been to, however one thing changed... then line of “pin hookers” at the entrance now that gun sells have cooled down. Still the usual couple but at least if you are knowledgeable and collect a few different types (most of us here), a few good items make it in. I stopped going for a long time simply cause nothing good there and nothing good came in .
    krag96 likes this.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit such crimes... such laws make things worse for the assualted and better for the assailants: they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man" Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links