Winchester Model '92 Large Loop
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree303Likes

Thread: Winchester Model '92 Large Loop

Member #
    Liked
    4384 times
    The Henry 22 Large Loop is hugely popular and so is their accessory options for the Large Loop in other models.
    They do add a different look to a market flooded with regular levers from Browning, Rossi and the old standby.
    And as Kid Sopris said the 357 is very accurate.
    Hopalong and MarkInTx like this.
    All SAA work. Check out my webpage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    2814 times
    I’ve got two 1894 Trappers in 44 Magnum, one came with a large loop and a standard loop. I prefer the standard loop but like Marlins medium size loop that is in between Winchesters standard and large loop levers.
    Hopalong and ersiii like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    933 times
    I have one of the original golden boy Henry’s before they moved as nib with large loop (Brooklyn I believe). Makes your day when you remember a gun you forgot you had ... I got it from a dear friend so I might go, grab a brick, and end the as NIB part.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit such crimes... such laws make things worse for the assualted and better for the assailants: they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man" Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1509 times
    Hondo was the only John Wayne film originally shot and exhibited in 3D. You know back when you had to wear those cardboard glasses with the red and blue cellophane lenses. They use a polarized lens system today. The only way one can see it today is in 2D, so it may have been edited quite a bit. There are some odd shots such as the Apaches thrusting their spears right at the camera. This was done to accentuate the 3D effects at the time, but it looks kind of stupid now since it's no longer shown in 3D.

Here's the Ringo introduction scene from stagecoach. Hit pause at 19 seconds and you can see that the rifle appears to have shortened barrel--at least less than normal like one of the trapper lengths.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An3EjP6o-Ik&t=93s

Cheers

P.S. I bet Wayne had the prop people make several rifles for him over the years since they could get treated pretty rough at times. Chuck Connors had at least 3 for his TV show and one of them was a Spanish made El Tigre. That was the one they used when the gun had to get thrown to the ground or generally mistreated.
    Last edited by forward_observer; 12-03-2019 at 11:42 PM.
    Kerz, Colt-SL and mentallapse like this.
    Bob

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl

Member #
    Liked
    9657 times
    Wish I had this one back. A 92 in .44 wcf. Its DOM was 1902. I was told it came off a reservation in the Dakota`s. I can believe it. I bought it in the 1970`s. It was stole out of my house along with many more in 2003.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7606 times
    Several Western stars were my hero`s too after I got to know them such as Clint Walker, Jimmy Stewart, Brian Keith, Jack Lord, Broderick Crawford etc.
    I would love to hear some of your recollections some time, especially regarding Jimmy Stewart. He is one of my biggest heroes.
    Last edited by Hopalong; 12-04-2019 at 11:44 AM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    14103 times
    I was always of the thought that large loops yield better access while wearing winter gloves.

I could see where the loop could be problematic if hunting and you need a quick follow-up shot. But for every day target shooting the loop is not a deterrent.

Two large loop '94's to show barrel length. Top is a Rossi in .45 Colt. Center is the John Wayne Commemorative in .32-40 and bottom, for comparison sake, is '94 AE XTR "1985 Chevy Outdoor Edition in .30-30.

Tony

“It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carry the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life, or death ---- it shall be life.” - Ten Bears - “The Outlaw Josey Wales”

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7606 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt Burp View Post
    A couple great shots from the book on his films. JW used the shorter '92 in a couple films where he didn't spin it (Sheppard Of The Hills & Big Jake come to mind), but the longer ones in other films. Personally, I think the gun does not look right with a loop and the 20" barrel. The 16 incher looks just right. In this publicity shot from Rio Bravo he's pretending to spin it. And here's a great pic of him in Hondo with maybe the same gun. In "El Dorado" Robert Mitchum carried an identical carbine (20") and JW uses one in the final shootout but don't know what length. Maybe the same gun? I don't think I seen both guys holding them together in the same scene.

The Hondo photo is interesting. Note that Wayne has the loop sandwiched between his index finger and the rest of his hand. I was thinking it would take a grip like that to deal with the larger lever, so I'm happy go see the Duke doing it. Of course, his hands were a lot bigger than mine.

Member #
    Liked
    13045 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopalong View Post
    I would to hear some of your recollections some time, especially regarding Jimmy Stewart. He is one of my biggest heroes.
    Speaking of jimmy Stewart and Winchesters, I think along with "My Darlin' Clementine", "Winchester 73" had the best black & white cinematography ever. And the final shootout in the rocks was as authentic as you can probably get where they even try to shoot each other with ricochets. Check out the great high contrast B&W photography in this short clip...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbAdkFNsbHc
    SHOOTER13, MarkInTx and Hopalong like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    24063 times
    I think I own a large loop lever for a M-94 Winchester. I used to carry it to gun shows a few years ago, but I could never sell it. It was an extra one that came from U.S. Historical when they were building commemoratives with the large loop lever.
    SHOOTER13 and mentallapse like this.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links