The Birth of the Western
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree155Likes

Thread: The Birth of the Western

Member #
    Liked
    16187 times

The Birth of the Western

Chicago, December 16, 1872 saw the premier of ‘The Scouts of the Prairie’ staring from left to right, Ned Buntline, Buffalo Bill Cody, Giuseppina Morlacchi (who would become Mrs. Texas Jack), Texas Jack Omohundro. The Chicago papers weren't as impressed as the public. One of the better reviews was " Everything was so wonderfully bad that it was almost good." The South was much kinder to the troupe. Here are reviews from the Old Dominion, my neck of the woods.

Richmond Enquirer, May 15, 1873: "Ned Buntline and his two confreres, Cody and Omohundro, better known as "Buffalo Bill" and "Texas Jack" with their "Live Indians," drew another good house…The way the Scouts handle their navy revolvers is the main secret of their success…the handsome appearance made by these two gentlemen.. represent in a measure, real scenes of which they have been the actual heroes…"

Norfolk Journal, May 18, 1873: "Buffalo Bill, Texas Jack, Ned Buntline and their "Ingins" filled the Opera House last night with one of the largest audiences ever assembled within its walls. The crowning piece of the night, that which excited the juveniles to the wildest demonstrations of delight, was Ned Buntline’s famous blood and thunder drama of The Scouts of the Prairie…whenever Texas Jack and Buffalo Bill appeared on the stage, the audience cheered and applauded lustily…Buffalo Bill and Texas Jack are fine looking men, and have that certain daredevil look and manner that we have always been led to attribute to the western hunters and scouts. The performance was in every way worthy of the fame of the gentlemen who conduct it.".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NRA Endowment Life Member
    CCA Member

Member #
    Liked
    2689 times
    Nice picture, old Ned looks out of place to me though.
    I’d rather be in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.

Member #
    Liked
    2814 times
    I would like to hold the Bowie that Ned has in his belt!
    Every King gun deserves a set of Ropers!

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1048 times
    I would like to know where Texas Jack's Remington rolling block sporter ended up.
    krag96, ei8ht and Hootch56 like this.
    I don't know much but at least I know that much.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9619 times
    Buntline looks out of place because he was out of place. About as authentic a Westerner as Stuart Lake.

On a side note: Mrs. Texas Jack was quite a looker.
    Last edited by Chaffee; 12-05-2019 at 05:17 PM.
    'This is King Fisher's Road--Take the other one'

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    440 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaffee View Post
    Buntline looks out of place because he was out of place. About as authentic a Westerner as Stuart Lake.

Ms. Morlacchi was a famous dancer. She is also known for introducing the Can Can to America.

KNO3
    krag96, Hopalong, Colt-SL and 5 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2392 times
    Very interesting photo. I somehow imagined Mr. Buntline as a bit more conservative.
    ei8ht likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    893 times
    Yes, Mr. Buntline is totally rockin’ those curls! That surprised me too, might not have been quite the Frontiersman we thought. Most surprising one to me is Baby Face Buffalo Bill, looks like he’s Buntline’s grandson. Texas Jack looks like the Real Deal to me .
    Last edited by big_gus; 12-07-2019 at 12:41 PM.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit such crimes... such laws make things worse for the assualted and better for the assailants: they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man" Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    16187 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaffee View Post
    Her legs were insured $100,000! She was said to be "worth more than Kentucky".

CCA Member

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7499 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smutt View Post
    Nice picture, old Ned looks out of place to me though.
    It kinda looks like he's wearing a wig.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links