• 1 Post By Homerfan

Thread: Sig 320 M17

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1138 times

Sig 320 M17

For the past few months, I've considered buying a Sig 320 M17. Not because I don't like 1911s anymore (far from it), or because I'm a military guy (far from that, too), or some military wannabe. I just figured if the Army adopted it as it's new sidearm, then it's probably worth looking into.

I've visited a few LGSs in my area, but only one of them carried it. So yesterday I went and purchased one. I'm busy reading the User Manual and getting familiar with it. After that, I'll take it to the range.

I thought it was reasonably priced (after tax the price was under $800), especially since it came with one 17-round and 2 21-round magazines. The grip is very ergonomic and comfortable to hold (not as good as my 1911, but better than my Glock), and easy to disassemble (also better than my Glock). The sights on it are very nice and easy to see.

As someone mentioned in another post, the M17 was found to have some issues with accidental discharges after excessive dropping. My M17 was made with all the changes (lighter trigger, sear, striker, and a mechanical disconnect) to correct those issues.

My M17 the 320F-9-M17 model, meaning it doesn't have a manual safety. It's my understanding that the M17s purchased by the Army have manual safeties, but the person at my LGS said they don't order the ones with manual safeties because there's not a large enough demand for it (he made the questionable comment that "you should be so safe you don't require a manual safety").
    I would have preferred one with a manual safety, but it was by no means a deal-breaker.

It seems like a very sturdy, rugged gun. And while it is modular, I'll probably never bother swapping out the lower receiver, barrel, or anything else... I'll leave that kind of thing to others.

I wish they would have made this in a blued/black finish rather than Coyote Brown, but that wasn't a deal-breaker for me, either.

Overall, I'm rather impressed. I'm looking forward to time on the range with it.

All that said - it's still no Colt M1911A1.
    guy sajer, OIF2, Hootch56 and 1 others like this.

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    844 times
    Congrats on your new firearm. I have a friend who has one and has let me shoot it. I have to say I really enjoyed putting it through its paces. It shoots nice and feels pretty good in my hand (I have big hands) I'm a revolver guy so I am not into most semi auto handguns, and since I already have a Sig M11A1 and I like that better, I probably would buy the Army decom M17 just for the USP aspect. Good luck with her and I'm sure you will enjoy it for many years to come.
    1911Collector likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    They make a black version with a manual safety. It's the Sig P320 M17 Bravo (320F-9-M17-MS-BRAVO). It came with one 17 rd. mag and two 21 rd. mags. I paid $599. I just ordered a coyote tan grip module for mine. I like the coyote tan color. You'll love your M17.
    RdrBill likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    470 times
    I love my 320! I probably would never have gotten it for myself, but I was looking at one in a store and remarked it was a really good price in front of my kid and it magically appeared on my birthday.

It was priced as used, but came with everything and appeared unfired. The store guy said one of the local pro athletes would buy new guns, play with them for a while and then trade them for something else. Good news for me.

Its a .357 Sig, which was a new caliber for me. I was very impressed with the sound and fury it unleased at the range.

It needed the drop-fix so I sent it in on Sig's dime. I also asked them to take a look at it because it was balky loading the first round from a full magazine.

A week later it was back. Then I took a closer look:

I called them and they couldn't have been nicer. The told me to keep the .40 barrel and they sent me a brand new .357 Sig barrel. So now with a simple barrel switch (mags are the same) I can shoot both calibers. The balkiness stopped, too.

Its a very impressive gun. I think it will serve our troops well.
    BarbarianCBX likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    223 times
    This one I use for any possible home defense. Have another I put away.

IMG_0678.jpg
    Feedom ain't Free!

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    You'll love this gun. I bought 2, a Compact and a Subcompact, (not M 17, just regular) the day before the last Presidential election as that would be my last chance . Very accurate for its purpose, and while there have been a few reported problems don't recall anyone at our range ever having an issue. You know how it is; something happens once (or maybe doesn't) and it goes viral. Have fun!

Sponsored Links