• 12 Post By azshot
  • 1 Post By kfields
  • 1 Post By smutt

Thread: Hard Tack and Blackpowder

Member #
    Liked
    7096 times

Hard Tack and Blackpowder

I thought some of you might like this article written by a very good long distance shooter of the early 20th Century, A.O. Nieder. He recounts shooting in the Army during the Apache Wars period. Mentions the Colt SAA, but mostly about long range (up to 1000 yds) with the Trapdoor. Imagine that! Today, scoped black AR rifles set up on the pistol range, but don't even shoot at it's 50 yd limit. They set up at 15 or 20 yds, and shoot off the bench!

Someone needs to coach and teach the current generation that a rifle is a 100yd+ weapon, not a 15 yd one. The last time at the range I was sighting in my .22 Winchester 69A, and stated getting large caliber holes in my target. I looked beside me, and some TactiCool guy my age was shooting, yep, a scoped black rifle in .308. At 15 yds, you could poke a cleaning rod into the paper from the bench. The way he was lined up, is rounds were going through and hitting my paper at 50 yds. Pretty crappy groups too! The most accurate shooters of trapdoor rifles of 1873 would be laughing in their coffee.

He talks about black powder fouling, Little Bighorn jam legends, and many topics we discuss here on the forum. First hand knowledge of how it was back in the 1880s.

But this is how we used to shoot!
    https://www.assra.com/yabbfiles/Atta...lackpowder.pdf
    Last edited by azshot; 12-26-2019 at 08:34 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    3742 times
    Good reading! Thank you!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1543 times
    ...an original award for marksmanship from that era too!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    22_Matt likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2824 times
    I’ve got some rifles that will clover leaf at 200 yards easy. The only time I shoot at 100 yards is open sights on a rifle or revolver shooting at steel.
    ColtsDad likes this.
    I’d rather be in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.

Member #
    Liked
    666 times
    Other than on this forum, I seldom read range reports now. Too often, it’ll be a shooter with a expensive 1911 shooting at 7 yards showing a photo of his group that resembles a 30+ yard buckshot pattern and talking about how accurate his 1911 is.

And like azshot, I’ve had my target stand and poster board hit by other shooters shooting at another target. I’m blessed by having my own range.

Joe

Member #
    Liked
    392 times
    A.O. Nieder was famous wildcatter. One of his more memorable cartridges is the 25-06. Interesting read.

Sponsored Links